• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2023 OBS Thread

JTA66

Made it to around 92 here in Fleetwood. Some slow moving pop up storms forming over the coastal plain and Philly. Weak steering flow, humid/moist atmosphere, and convective T reached means you get these typical summer time pop ups. Not widespread in nature today

On another note, I will finally be moving to Wyoming in less than 3 weeks to continue my education and get my PhD. It's been a pleasure to be apart of the Philly subforum here, I don't think I'll be back east any time soon! But I'll still be posting here occasionally, can't escape your home roots

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Newman said:

Made it to around 92 here in Fleetwood. Some slow moving pop up storms forming over the coastal plain and Philly. Weak steering flow, humid/moist atmosphere, and convective T reached means you get these typical summer time pop ups. Not widespread in nature today

On another note, I will finally be moving to Wyoming in less than 3 weeks to continue my education and get my PhD. It's been a pleasure to be apart of the Philly subforum here, I don't think I'll be back east any time soon! But I'll still be posting here occasionally, can't escape your home roots

That's awesome.  Good luck.  Gonna need some storm photos from those beautiful landscapes!

17 minutes ago, Newman said:

CONGRATS!!! :thumbsup:  I saw you also finally got the red tag.

Definitely don't be a stranger though.  Ray checked in from over that way when he was out in Elko, NV (although probably because of his parents providing some obs too) before finally moving back east.

20 minutes ago, BBasile said:

This thing started off 2 miles to the north east of me, then moved to the north, then to the north west.  I'm a very scientifically-minded person, but I'm about to become a Wiccan.  This shit is magic.  

Screenshot_20230705_170723_RadarScope.jpg

My sister in Delco was under a cell across the river from you (she is in Upper Darby). She texted a bitmoji with a mushroom and "More rain". :lol:  Meanwhile, I need some kind of pop-up here. Even if a half inch's worth.

I managed to hit 94 for a high today and currently am at a hazy 86 with dp 75.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

My sister in Delco is under a cell across the river from you (she is in Upper Darby). She texted a bitmoji with a mushroom and "More rain". :lol:  Meanwhile, I need some kind of pop-up here. Even if a half inch's worth.

I'll take a quarter inch and small gust of wind.  :lol:  Tired of seeing those dark skies and towering cumulonimbus a mile away!  

36 minutes ago, Newman said:

Congrats! I did some field study in WY a while back and fell in love with the place. So much naked geology.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BBasile said:

I'll take a quarter inch and small gust of wind.  :lol:  Tired of seeing those dark skies and towering cumulonimbus a mile away!  

LOL I saw a Flood Advisory was issued for that area and across into South Philly.  I got a bunch of cumulus out there right now, alternating with haze. Temp crept back up to 88 with dp 75 and the lightning detector is picking up nearby convection (I think the thing has about a 25 mile radius range although it's more realistically around 15 - 20 miles).

Screenshot-2023-07-05-552pm-07052023.png

• Like 1

Currently 93 with a DP of 66. Warm but not super unpleasant.

A/C guys did their thing and supposedly found a blockage in one of the return vents that was restricting the amount of air to the unit, so it wasn't flowing as fast as it should have been, and thusly was never triggering the second stage of our cooling cycle... at least that's as far as I understand it. I don't know why it was perfectly capable of handling multiple >90°F days in June, but ok... All I know is, I was measuring the air coming out of my home office vent at around 62 (when it was sorta working before) and now it's been a constant 57-58. The house does feel cooler but the thermostat in the living room (set to 70) still reads 72, some 6 hours after they left. I think I can be ok with that on a 93°F day, so long as it's consistent and doesn't start slowly creeping up again. Time will tell. Incidentally, it's set so low because the thermostat is located in one of the coolest rooms of the house. With that set to 70, the warmest room in the house (my wife's office) should keep at around 72-73. We have a split-level with a weird layout, so that's what we've deemed as being acceptable.

I yet remain skeptical to the point where I'm about to deploy some RasPi's with thermocouples to start data-logging. I told that last part to my wife yesterday, and she about died laughing. I was all, "what. You knew who you were marrying. Sheesh." :nerdsmiley::lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Newman said:

Congrats on the red tag and best of luck! Who knows, maybe like Ray you’ll hop a flight for our next HESC.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Newman said:

Congrats! And good luck...stop by when you can! 

Hard to find Mets in this subforum, bunch of nomads but stuff keeps rolling....

Still sucks: 81F/ DP 73F

81 73.jpg

6 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Just noticed another air quality alert for tomorrow through Friday. Just normal stuff, or Smoke Monster, Part III? 

Pretty sure it's normal hot humid haze stuff...NBC10 Mentioned something.

Oddly enough I felt way more crappy today outside (AQI index <100) then w/the smoke >250?

Feels like crap out there now but < 100:

aqiN.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Newman said:

Congrats, and good luck! Send us snow pics, but don't rub it in too hard, lol.

15 hours ago, Newman said:

Congratulations!!! Continued success and hope you still post here from time to time! smooth travels!! Paul

Yesterday many spots across Chester County saw their 2nd 90+ day of the year...some higher spots like here in East Nantmeal failed yet again to touch 90 but it was our 2nd warmest day of the year near 88 degrees. Another warm one today with similar temps to yesterday. Shower chances will be on the increase by later tomorrow through Monday morning. Some models have 2" to 3" of rain over parts of the area by Monday PM.
Records for today: High 100 (1900) / Low 48 (1980) / Rain 2.36" (1958)
image.png.0a8106ab3b1a7d963c915a3115f36552.png

19 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Ok I take it back. Proper pouring right now. Woo!

Just saw it back-build at ya!

I hit 90 just before noon and my high of 91 so far, just after noon today.  Now officially my first "heat wave" of the season, with at least 3 consecutive days of 90 and above.

Currently 91 with dp 73.

kdix_20230706_1615_BR_0.5.png

19 hours ago, Newman said:

Congratulations on your red tag, and best wishes to you on obtaining a PhD.  Never been to Laramie, but was in Casper WY way back in '83.

19 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

Currently 93 with a DP of 66. Warm but not super unpleasant.

A/C guys did their thing and supposedly found a blockage in one of the return vents that was restricting the amount of air to the unit, so it wasn't flowing as fast as it should have been, and thusly was never triggering the second stage of our cooling cycle... at least that's as far as I understand it. I don't know why it was perfectly capable of handling multiple >90°F days in June, but ok... All I know is, I was measuring the air coming out of my home office vent at around 62 (when it was sorta working before) and now it's been a constant 57-58. The house does feel cooler but the thermostat in the living room (set to 70) still reads 72, some 6 hours after they left. I think I can be ok with that on a 93°F day, so long as it's consistent and doesn't start slowly creeping up again. Time will tell. Incidentally, it's set so low because the thermostat is located in one of the coolest rooms of the house. With that set to 70, the warmest room in the house (my wife's office) should keep at around 72-73. We have a split-level with a weird layout, so that's what we've deemed as being acceptable.

I yet remain skeptical to the point where I'm about to deploy some RasPi's with thermocouples to start data-logging. I told that last part to my wife yesterday, and she about died laughing. I was all, "what. You knew who you were marrying. Sheesh." :nerdsmiley::lol:

Split levels are the worst in regard to ductwork layout to get the proper cfm for heating and cooling.  On long hot stretch of days like this I've seen people use booster fans or shutting off some feed ducts to push the air where you need it.  Or, yeah, give the thermocouples a try :lol:

86 Degrees with 70 dew point-just saw a little tiny blip of lighting around the Mason Dison line.

• Like 1