Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2023 OBS Thread

JTA66

6 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

Yeah it's warrantied for a year and we are planning on buying the 10-year follow-up maintenance plan. They just need to get it to work consistently. We cannot be the only people to have this system installed; it's becoming increasingly frustrating why they can't seem to get it right. Planning on having strong words with their support in the morning and escalating as necessary. (Not going to go full on rage mode on the dispatcher, because it's not their fault and I'm not a jerk to people just doing their job. But this needs to be escalated, and it will be, so help me jebus.)

73°F/72 DP it's just gross outside right now, but at least the smoke has finally abated. It's 77 in my office right now. A/C is blowing at 65°F through the vents and barely making an impact. Ceiling fans and stand-alone oscillating fans will get us through the night at least.

I don't know what you have your thermostat set for but with mine set for 68 (which is what the guy  who last replaced my thermostat and fixed a circuit board for my inside central air blower thingy had set it for to test, and I left it), I just did a temp check and the air coming out of the vents is around 55.  That (at least this time of the morning, sortof the "coolest time of the day") is able to keep the house at around 68.  As it heats up in the '80s and '90s during the hottest part of the day, the house ends up settling into the low - mid 70s (the latter on the 2nd floor which is where the heat "rises" ), which is fine given the house is a 2-story brick "townhouse" style.

Am currently off to the races this morning with a temp of 75 and dp 73 (the low earlier ended up being 73).

It looks like some spots across Southern Chester County picked up some rain earlier this AM. Up here in East Nantmeal nothing so far. There will continue to be a slight chance of some pop up storms today with a better shot by tomorrow evening. Wednesday and Thursday we look to warm into the upper 80's both days. In looking ahead they look to be the warmest days through at least July 19th. A climate note of interest - here in East Nantmeal I have now not recorded a 90 degree or higher reading in more than 2 years. The last above 90 degree day was on June 30th, 2021. I did record one day last summer on July 23rd that reached 89.7 - so we round that up and call it a 90 degree day. I know many spots in the county especially southern and lower spots did reach the 90 degree mark back on June 2nd - however we could do no higher than 88.8 here in East Nantmeal.
Records for today: High 102 (1966) / Low 47 (1929) / Rain 3.19" (1978)image.png.9e74385de9c63507569e9c190beb506a.png

11 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

So what is it?  It was it wasn't?  Channel 10 last night at 11 said it was a confirmed tornado in New London Chester County while the other storms in Berks and Lehigh Counties were funnel clouds.  

Something here smells of ratings and patting of backs instead of truthful forecasting.

The lack of truthful forecasting and that of ratings first is what has caused me not to pursue a career in Meteorology even though I know I have the passion and knowledge to do so.

I will be dammed if I am forecasting, and others tell me what to say instead of what is truly happening.

Okay I am off my rant now.

29 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

(Our) Ray gets a couple feature quotes! :tomato:

14 minutes ago, Kevin Reilly said:

So what is it?  It was it wasn't?  Channel 10 last night at 11 said it was a confirmed tornado in New London Chester County while the other storms in Berks and Lehigh Counties were funnel clouds.  

Something here smells of ratings and patting of backs instead of truthful forecasting.

The lack of truthful forecasting and that of ratings first is what has caused me not to pursue a career in Meteorology even though I know I have the passion and knowledge to do so.

I will be dammed if I am forecasting, and others tell me what to say instead of what is truly happening.

Okay I am off my rant now.

"Channel 10" (is not the NWS). :lol:

I actually posted a screenshot with the LSR that had been submitted from there by a spotter.

Screenshot 2023-07-02 195159.png

I think all of the reports, including in Berks, were some variation of them being a "funnel cloud".

As an obs of current conditions IMBY, it's 85 with dp 75.  I did hit 86 earlier but the temp has been fluctuating as the sun goes in and out.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

(Our) Ray gets a couple feature quotes! :tomato:

"Channel 10" (is not the NWS). :lol:

I actually posted a screenshot with the LSR that had been submitted from there by a spotter.

Screenshot 2023-07-02 195159.png

I think all of the reports, including in Berks, were some variation of them being a "funnel cloud".

As an obs of current conditions IMBY, it's 85 with dp 75.  I did hit 86 earlier but the temp has been fluctuating as the sun goes in and out.

I appreciate what you said, "Our Ray gets a couple of featured quotes", It's the men and women of the NWS that are the true forecasters that keep us informed and safe!

• Like 1

And here we go!

Severe Thunderstorm Watch

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE FOR WS 440
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
255 PM EDT MON JUL 3 2023

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 440 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1000 PM EDT
FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS

PAC001-011-017-029-037-041-043-045-055-071-075-077-091-093-097-
099-101-107-133-040200-
/O.NEW.KWNS.SV.A.0440.230703T1855Z-230704T0200Z/

PA
.    PENNSYLVANIA COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

ADAMS                BERKS               BUCKS
CHESTER              COLUMBIA            CUMBERLAND
DAUPHIN              DELAWARE            FRANKLIN
LANCASTER            LEBANON             LEHIGH
MONTGOMERY           MONTOUR             NORTHUMBERLAND
PERRY                PHILADELPHIA        SCHUYLKILL
YORK
$$

NJC001-005-007-009-011-015-019-021-023-025-029-033-035-040200-

NJ
.    NEW JERSEY COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

ATLANTIC             BURLINGTON          CAMDEN
CAPE MAY             CUMBERLAND          GLOUCESTER
HUNTERDON            MERCER              MIDDLESEX
MONMOUTH             OCEAN               SALEM
SOMERSET
$$

DEC001-003-005-040200-

DE
.    DELAWARE COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

KENT                 NEW CASTLE          SUSSEX
$$

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kevin Reilly said:

We have 87 with 44% humidity in Media, Delaware County.  There is a lot more sun right now than at any point yesterday so ample heating going on at the moment.  Also, the sky is finally blue the smoke is gone for now.

I just checked and I am at 89 with dp 74. :yikes:  And yeah, just some fluffy fair weather cumulus out there.  Not the thick deck of hazy stuff.

• Like 1

I managed to just tap 90 (89.6) as a high at around 3:15 pm today and it's currently 84 with dp 71.

Seems a lot of the more potent stuff continues to ride along the northern MD/southern PA/northern DE border (in counties on either side).  I suppose the "cold front" is serving more like a boundary for stuff to undulate along but not enough to form a strong convective line barreling towards the ocean (at least yet).

32 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Nothing here thus far, but my parent's farm in SW Chester County have received almost 2" tonight.

Question for the group: do you guys know if lightning detectors differentiate between cloud-to-cloud and cloud-to-ground? I'm wondering what, if any, method sites like https://www.lightningmaps.org use. TIA~

I have an Ambient Lightning detector - https://ambientweather.com/wh31l-lightning-detector

Ambient's data site has an option to display the lightning being detected by those with their detectors (you may have seen me post some screenshots of mine among a pile of others).

I don't think any of them can determine type but are mainly counting RF emissions from a bolt (that could be made up of many "strikes" ).

Lightning maps has a FAQ here -  https://www.lightningmaps.org/about/faq

which also discusses the other site that displays lightning -Blitzortung.org - https://www.blitzortung.org/en/cover_your_area.php)

(that latter one apparently has kits to build your own)

As an obs - temp here is down to 76 with dp 71 but no rain yet today (seems most continues to hug the southern PA border).

• Like 1