Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Saturday, April 1, 2023 Convective Potential

weatherwiz

1 minute ago, FXWX said:

yep... hopefully we get through this without a big hit, but it certainly looks worrisome and falls close to the dates of a couple of historic events... Aprol,4-6???

The HRRR has been trending more and more aggressive which is not a good sign. I know one concern I had against a large-scale widespread outbreak was a "dirty" warm sector but the warm sector is full of breaks. The RAP (using mesoanalysis) is developing widespread 2,000 J MLCAPE and > 200-250 J of 3km CAPE. That is very scary 

22 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

The HRRR has been trending more and more aggressive which is not a good sign. I know one concern I had against a large-scale widespread outbreak was a "dirty" warm sector but the warm sector is full of breaks. The RAP (using mesoanalysis) is developing widespread 2,000 J MLCAPE and > 200-250 J of 3km CAPE. That is very scary 

Still a bit dirty, but the overall setup is very dynamic; wind speeds at multiple levels are at or above levels noted in some of the nastiest of outbreaks... just a quick glance at the SPC meso composite page shows almost all tornado parameters, even their violent tornado composite, covering huge areas... of course, this does not mean it has to happen, but high concern is warranted... 

4 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Still a bit dirty, but the overall setup is very dynamic; wind speeds at multiple levels are at or above levels noted in some of the nastiest of outbreaks... just a quick glance at the SPC meso composite page shows almost all tornado parameters, even their violent tornado composite, covering huge areas... of course, this does not mean it has to happen, but high concern is warranted... 

Agreed, sometimes it's too easy to get caught up with these composites and parameters. Basically, just shows that if mature enough updrafts can materialize they have a ton to work with. I almost can't get over the HRRR...it's like a QLCS line of supercells (and multiple of them). The storm motions are through the roof too which is not good. People will have very little time to react and get to safety. 

5 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Agreed, sometimes it's too easy to get caught up with these composites and parameters. Basically, just shows that if mature enough updrafts can materialize they have a ton to work with. I almost can't get over the HRRR...it's like a QLCS line of supercells (and multiple of them). The storm motions are through the roof too which is not good. People will have very little time to react and get to safety. 

Agree on all...  sometimes you can get all the ingredients and the cake still doesn't get baked; all you can do is point out the worry and hope for the best in terms of life and property.  Although the way this severe weather season has started out for the country, I wouldn't bet against another big / bad outcome...

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

How does this potential today compare/not compare to say 2011 in terms of possible severity?

Given that 4/27/2011 was a top 3 day or something, it's just about impossible to expect that kind of an outbreak in advance.  Let's hope it doesn't amount to that at any rate.

5/24/2011 was another huge day (see my avatar) and this could be up there with that one, although a much different set up obviously.

• Thanks 1

This was the first double high risk area since 4/14/12

A lot of tornadoes that day, but I vaguely recall folks considering it a minor bust.  I chased the tail end of the dryline in SW  which was always very low probability of producing, and sure enough it didn't produce.  But I was out there anyway so NBD.

• Like 2

Flipped over to the Midwest part of the site and someone posted a link to one of the Little Rock TV stations. It’s not good when they are doing their weather updates and you can hear sirens in the background.

https://www.thv11.com/video/news/live_breaking/tornado-coverage-with-tom-brannon-nathan-scott/91-534cfb90-200a-4ceb-9287-357b7c328474

Thinking
the potential is there to generate between 400 and 800 J/KG of
Cape. While that is a lot...we have extreme jet dynamics with
Bulk shear values on the order of 50 to 60 knots. In
addition...steep mid level lapse rates on the order of
7-7.5 C/KM will be advecting into the region...which is usually
a missing ingredient in southern New England. While the severe
weather threat is conditional depending on how much instability
we can generate...some of the machine learning probs from the
NCAR ensembles and Colorado State show some potential.
The main threat will be strong to damaging straight line wind
gusts...but some hail is possible given the steep mid level
lapse rates. In fact...even a low risk for a tornado given ample
0-1 KM helicity. Greatest risk for severe weather would be
across interior southern New England...but can/t rule out areas
further east given strong jet dynamics. If this does
happen...thinking more of a late show between 5 and 11 pm
Saturday evening.
  • Like 1