• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Spring 2023 OBS Thread

2 hours ago, zenmsav6810 said:

There's actually an entire field dedicated to modeling this kind of stuff using differential equations-- I did a bit of it in engineering school but never became a true expert. Its very important for game mangement and issueing the proper numbers of hunting permits and fishing limits. Accorns in particular are an important nutrition source for deer and wild turkey (accorns also can be turned into flour for human cooking). I also noticed a bumber crop of pine cones at my house. It should be interesting to see how the beech nut and walnut crop does.  

When one of my sisters moved into her house back in the summer of 2003, her neighbor's oak tree was literally raining down a billion acorns that fall.  You could barely sit out on her deck without getting the equivalent of weeks of hail (but not with ice) raining down until frost. LOL 

As we know, that year before, the area was in a major drought that had started the winter of 2001 and peaked by August 2002 -

phd200208_pg.gif

It finally broke that September with what eventually was downgraded to TS Isidore (one of the retired "I" storms) that wet the ground and was the beginning of the end of that unusual dry period.

Isidore_2002_rainfall.gif

Fast forward 20 years and over that time, there have been years of some acorn drop, perhaps light to normal, but nothing like 2003 - at least until last year, when the acorns rained down again.  That was the year after the remnants of Hurricane Ida flooded the area and spawned multiple tornadoes.  From my weather station, August 2021 had almost 11" of rain, and on Sept. 1, 2021 when that Ida precip. blew through, I had an almost 5 1/2" single day rainfall.

As a quick obs, I am already at 84 with dp 54 and a lot of cirrus above!

2021-precipitation-annotated-04142023.png

• Like 1

Made it up to 86 for a high today in the "cooler" parts of the CWA based on the position of the high.  Just came in after firing up the grill and getting some stuff cooked up for next week, and the temps today were fantastic.  Not blazing hot nor humid.

I know the rain is incoming this weekend so wanted to get the grill-on now. :lol:

Currently all clouded up, 80, and am seeing stuff lifting up from the south. But have a dp that is a pleasant 44.

I noticed that our local channel 6 weather team over in Philadelphia has been posting how since 1970 springs are getting warmer....as is always the case they only seem to look at since 1970. Why is that a problem? A quick look (see below) at the 3 major NWS COOP sites here in Chester County PA show that by starting the analysis in 1970 the data is clearly skewed because overall the 1960's was the decade with the coolest readings. The warmest springs here in Chester County averaged over the 3 long term sites actually occurred back in the 1940's. Only focusing on 50 years does not prove a trend.

image.thumb.png.3d69166dc1b7545c5e4e413ddd362b8c.png

2 hours ago, ChescoWx said:

I noticed that our local channel 6 weather team over in Philadelphia has been posting how since 1970 springs are getting warmer....as is always the case they only seem to look at since 1970. Why is that a problem? A quick look (see below) at the 3 major NWS COOP sites here in Chester County PA show that by starting the analysis in 1970 the data is clearly skewed because overall the 1960's was the decade with the coolest readings. The warmest springs here in Chester County averaged over the 3 long term sites actually occurred back in the 1940's. Only focusing on 50 years does not prove a trend.

image.thumb.png.3d69166dc1b7545c5e4e413ddd362b8c.png

Well they're not exactly wrong, are they?

Assuming we don't fall below 61.7 by midnight we recorded another record daily high min temp this AM. Old record was 59 from 2002. A tough forecast for today regarding the chances for some much needed rain. Some spots could see over an inch of rain while others get less than 0.10". Hoping your backyard sees some rain! Looks to continue mild before a cool down early this week then a warming trend mid-week before we start a stretch of predominantly below normal temperatures to close out the month of April.
Records for today: High 86 (1967) / Low 24 (1981) / Rain 1.71" (1925)
image.png.f92dea30f9260cbabd756b958be8c76a.png

1 hour ago, CoolHandMike said:

I postponed an overnight brisket smoke due to last night's forecast, but so far it hasn't rained a drop. The forecast has held steady for t-storms beginning at noon, so we'll see if that pans out.

This is all virga at the moment:

iEMNTgj.png

Damn, that sounds good.

69F/Cloudy

damn.jpg

I "heard" the notifications beeping for here, checked my radar, and sure enough saw something had spontaneously appeared up north.  Am wondering if our buddy in Macungie is outside dancing naked in any rain (or hail).  :lol::P

4 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

I postponed an overnight brisket smoke due to last night's forecast, but so far it hasn't rained a drop. The forecast has held steady for t-storms beginning at noon, so we'll see if that pans out.

This is all virga at the moment:

iEMNTgj.png

I ended up bbing yesterday afternoon figuring it would have been raining here today (at least some spotty showers were forecast beginning overnight and into the morning, and on/off all day.  Haven't had any of that yet but at least yesterday was pleasant.

It has been mostly overcast here with some occasional self-destruct sun.  Am currently at 77, which is my high so far for the day (nowhere near the highs the past couple days), after a low of 62, and with a more juicy dp of 66.