• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Mid/Long Range Disco 3: The great recovery or shut the blinds?

psuhoffman

9 minutes ago, CAPE said:

384 hours out on an op run. It's close enough!

Yes, apparently it is meteorologically possible to snow south of 40n with a look like this... 

1675598400-SlrKMKaidjA.png

-EPO/-PNA/+AO/+NAO, in a Nina.

We don’t always need a perfect h5, this produced a 20” snow 

16C4DFDC-DAA1-4B9F-836B-226A7E23AF9A.gif.2b2dbf15afe0e1ba81daad790582aae4.gif

But let’s be fair the run that snows doesn’t look like the ensembles. 
86F47284-337B-4D6E-A53C-7A1BBA97DC65.thumb.png.7f4d833fc7ee123654572fa7ccc2daaf.png

What makes it kinda work on the op is a nice pna ridge and confluence from the lope rotating through 50/50 at the right time.  There are some ensemble members that have hits too but they have a more favorable pna and Atlantic than that mean. There are lots of god awful members that take the waves day 10-15 way to our north too. 

4 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Probably not. Neutral trending positive.

Let’s get to the worst possible pattern..+EPO-PNA +NAO+AO…phase 4 on the MJO…I want to see the worst they can offer add in an SER  and a WAR bigger than 1941…bring it on…do your worst.   I just had a 120min IPA

• Haha 7

This has been our mean h5 for the whole winter. 
886551C6-2402-47F7-92EE-AD040F1F762E.gif.ff23ffb982571b9df331275511f96a61.gif

That’s not awesome but it’s certainly not a mean that would strike fear into us.  That historically would just be average imo.

By comparison this is the mean h5 of past really awful years that featured almost no snow in Baltimore to this point.  This is what an actual awful no hope pattern should look like…

1868EFB8-AF39-47C8-A878-5634B8E4700F.png.7fd75e08206ab70cb4d463d5beb2991d.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BristowWx said:

I never knew 1950 was a bad year.  I bet it still wasn’t a shut out.  

0.7” at Baltimore. But this was the pattern…

D5E8A873-2854-43F1-9266-5B7364FAC853.png.44e8027229fc08b53ae202c91682d613.png
look familiar?  That’s the pattern likely coming up for Feb as the mjo enters warm phases.  That’s what a no hope shutout should look like!  But we haven’t been in that.  We’ve actually had a blah but not god awful mean longwave pattern on avg so far.  It hasn’t been that bad Imo.  Certainly not good.  The best analogs I can find are generally below avg but close to median winters.  We’ve been getting shutout results from a pattern that shouldn’t be THAT bad Imo.  
problem is we might be about to enter a pattern that actually should be that bad!  Lol 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Maestrobjwa said:

0.5 of the 0.7 came in January...so not even THAT year was thar month a total shut out, Iol

That was one of only 2 single digit winters ever at Westminster. Local records here at Manchester area don’t go back that far.  But even that year Westminster had a couple inches by now. 

2019 and 2021 still bother me a lot.  2017 and 2018 were about what they should have been given the pattern. 2020 was rightfully a dreg year.  Would have been dreg in any era with that bad pac and +++A0/NAO. 

But 2019 there was no reason with the pac ridge constantly centered into western Canada and a decent AO that the pna kept going so negative and the SE ridge/WAR kept popping.  That wasn’t right. The wavelength should have worked out for us but the SE ridge kept going ape. That’s when I first started feeling like the problem wasn’t really the pac. That was a Nino. The pac pattern was ok. But the SE ridge kept bullying the pattern and forcing trough into the SW even with a ridge poking over into west Canada. 

Same in 2021. Despite crazy blocking and imo a mediocre but not awful pac the same kept happening. 

now I saw some of those same trends in December especially this year!

Everyone is waiting for the good years to come again but one reason Im so negative is imo the reason we’re in an unprecedented long bad run is that those should have been the good years but whatever is causing the SE ridge won over an otherwise pretty favorable pattern.  

Sorry if none of that makes sense. I’ve had a few whiskeys. Cheers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Currently watching the movie Fatal Attraction from 1987…no idea why but  I’m guessing this guy is not concerned about the lack of snow and wondering why a rabbit is boiling on his stove…quite the diversion from our current situation 

Know any movies where the killer murders the SE ridge?

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

2019 and 2021 still bother me a lot.  2017 and 2018 were about what they should have been given the pattern. 2020 was rightfully a dreg year.  Would have been dreg in any era with that bad pac and +++A0/NAO. 

But 2019 there was no reason with the pac ridge constantly centered into western Canada and a decent AO that the pna kept going so negative and the SE ridge/WAR kept popping.  That wasn’t right. The wavelength should have worked out for us but the SE ridge kept going ape. That’s when I first started feeling like the problem wasn’t really the pac. That was a Nino. The pac pattern was ok. But the SE ridge kept bullying the pattern and forcing trough into the SW even with a ridge poking over into west Canada. 

Same in 2021. Despite crazy blocking and imo a mediocre but not awful pac the same kept happening. 

now I saw some of those same trends in December especially this year!

Everyone is waiting for the good years to come again but one reason Im so negative is imo the reason we’re in an unprecedented long bad run is that those should have been the good years but whatever is causing the SE ridge won over an otherwise pretty favorable pattern.  

Sorry if none of that makes sense. I’ve had a few whiskeys. Cheers. 

Your weather memory is better than mine but for 2019 I have a distinct memory of the MJO going ape in the warm phases.  That enhanced MC convection drives a SE ridge right?  Now I'm not trying to make an "excuse" because the strengthened Pacific warm pool is one of the mechanisms that has been mentioned for how we have been losing the margins.  

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

This has been our mean h5 for the whole winter. 
886551C6-2402-47F7-92EE-AD040F1F762E.gif.ff23ffb982571b9df331275511f96a61.gif

That’s not awesome but it’s certainly not a mean that would strike fear into us.  That historically would just be average imo.

I continue to be fascinated by the lack of a strong SE ridge in that composite.  Goes to show that composites do not show the whole story.  The SER has always been there when it mattered.

30 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

I continue to be fascinated by the lack of a strong SE ridge in that composite.  Goes to show that composites do not show the whole story.  The SER has always been there when it mattered.

Dunno we did have some troughs make it into the east but it was just too warm anyways so it didn’t matter.