• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 Mid-Atlantic Severe Wx Thread (General Discussion)

Kmlwx

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

I hate this storm motion direction.

Keep hoping the outflow will start dragging stuff east more but it's not happening. That new development is going to be too far north to get me - might get clipped by rain I guess. Huge dead zone in the activity between the outflow and the stuff back in NoVA still. Interesting storm day...

Outflowing thru the neighborhood now. Just like yesterday: big cells off to the N and W (actually they were close to MNOTW yesterday).

What field (if any) on the SPC Hourly Meso Analysis would be best to approximate the location of outflow boundaries? Or is that just eyeballing radar? (And I don't have GR3 or whatever it's called; I just rely on LWX or some other free sites. Now if I lived in Huntsville ...)

2 minutes ago, 09-10 analogy said:

Outflowing thru the neighborhood now. Just like yesterday: big cells off to the N and W (actually they were close to MNOTW yesterday).

What field (if any) on the SPC Hourly Meso Analysis would be best to approximate the location of outflow boundaries? Or is that just eyeballing radar?

I guess you could discern some boundaries via surface temps since they generally have cooler air behind them. But honestly radar is probably best for that. And they are often such small scale features and overall short in duration that an hourly mesoscale analysis might not pick them up that well. But also CINH. 

5 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

And now the cell near Haymarket seems to want to become a hail producer too...man...places running from Haymarket up to like Ashburn (including LWX) are getting absolutely demolished by this stuff. Would think at some point overturning will weaken the stuff..

You always want to be on the inflow side of the boundaries. That's where the magic happens.

And so far not a ton to speak of along the boundary collision area. Something tells me that what will happen is eventually that narrow corridor of repeating storms/hail is going to run out of gas and just sort of gust out and just be showers. Not saying game over for areas to the east yet...but there's not unlimited CAPE. And with the boundary clearing big chunks of the area - that'll drop temps and stabilize us potentially. 

Unrelated....but that radar interference seemingly keeps getting worse (or maybe it's just depending on where precip is located) but it really has hurt radar accuracy in that area right near/south of the VA/MD/DC border intersection. Results in that phantom return pattern over in southern Anne Arundel County as well.