• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA Winter 2022/2023

2 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

We lost the biggest snow hound in the world yesterday - Bastardi essentially said good night and a fond farewell to winter, and he was basing that on the MJO regressing back into 6 in early March. 

It's really bad when we lose JB. 

the persistence of the WAR is undoubtedly killing off anything that tries to get set up/established.  If the MJO gets outta favorable 8/1/2 as quickly as it got in, well that'd put a notable sized fork in the window we were looking at for late feb/early march.  Mag posted the mjo plot earlier, and you can see that it is low amplititude 8 anyway, and as I think he suggested (and a couple of us have earlier this winter), you gotta have something more notable to offset the persistant ridging in the AO/NAO space, and while the NAO looks to get better, not sure if it can/will overcome.  As I suggested last week, I'm just sittin back and playin watch n see, but as of now, I'm still a little more than cautious as I'm not feeling it yet.  

Hoping the SSW that is currently downwelling, can cause enough of a wholesale regime change to offset what we've been seeing all "winter".

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

the persistence of the WAR is undoubtedly killing off anything that tries to get set up/established.  If the MJO gets outta favorable 8/1/2 as quickly as it got in, well that'd put a notable sized fork in the window we were looking at for late feb/early march.  Mag posted the mjo plot earlier, and you can see that it is low amplititude 8 anyway, and as I think he suggested (and a couple of us have earlier this winter), you gotta have something more notable to offset the persistant ridging in the AO/NAO space, and while the NAO looks to get better, not sure if it can/will overcome.  As I suggested last week, I'm just sittin back and playin watch n see, but as of now, I'm still a little more than cautious as I'm not feeling it yet.  

Hoping the SSW that is currently downwelling, can cause enough of a wholesale regime change to offset what we've been seeing all "winter".

Unfortunately...delayed might soon become denied. 

6 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Unfortunately...delayed might soon become denied. 

theme of the winter.  Even though Nina has started to fade (currently aoa -.8), early thoughts of us trending twds neutral by now (or by early spring) have not materialized, and me thinks that base state is going to be the death of whatever chances we may have had for backend action for winter).  i dont know enough about Enso, but i know enough to know the regime really isnt changing much and makes me nervous about anything else being able to fight it before we close the books, as it truely has had the hot hand for us here in the East.  Dunno.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

12Z GFS is the shit as far as snow.  Still has a series of cold/near normal snaps over the next 2 weeks but then cutters flush it out.  It goes back and forth like that the rest of the month. 

That's been the pattern we can't escape.  With the precip comes the warmth, and then brief bouts of cold but not arctic air.  Everything of note scooting up to our west.  Rinse and repeat.  Sooooo frustrating. 

Raining at a pretty good clip here at the moment. 

• Like 4

The Euro leaves us with something to watch as light snow spreads into the LSV (temps are marginal) NEXT Saturday leaving this complicated map at the end of its run.    Temps are quite cold a few days before this period.   Can that wave in the S/W work with the cold air dome pressing down a day or two later? 

image.thumb.png.a612570d9ec5792cede62565498a3ea1.png

32 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Tucson - I saw they had snow yesterday morning. Isn't Tucson like really far south in AZ? 

Yes it is, but it's got a little elevation to it (2,398 ft) so in a cold storm where the snow levels are low, they can and do get some snow from time to time.

• Thanks 1

Cue Allen Jackson's "Remember When": 

20 years ago today, one of the great snowstorms of all time.. known as the President’s Day Storm of 2003 or PDII.. was bringing blizzard conditions to the mid-Atlantic States. Ranked #6 on the Northeast Snowfall Impact Scale (NESIS), the system dumped 20-30” across southern PA!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

20 years ago today, one of the great snowstorms of all time.. known as the President’s Day Storm of 2003 or PDII.. was bringing blizzard conditions to the mid-Atlantic States. Ranked #6 on the Northeast Snowfall Impact Scale (NESIS), the system dumped 20-30” across southern PA!

Is that red dot in Southern PA Cashtown? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I absolutely loved every second of this storm. It was a very long duration. 
The forecasts a couple of days before had the heaviest snow towards the MD line, but as the storm approached the day before, forecasts began to advertise 1 foot likely with more possible. Then as the storm got underway, my favorite forecast of “Winter Storm Warning for 1 to 2 feet of snow” was issued.

The temperatures were in the single digits as the storm got underway Sunday am as strong High pressed down from Quebec. I remember the long “arm” of the precip on the radar stretching from the MD line well back into the Central states. The precip slowly inched north through CTP & the rates picked as low crawled eastward.

By Sunday night, there was about 10 inches of snow on the ground. The storm reached the Mid Atlantic coast & intensified as it moved north. The snow intensity & flake size increased. By Monday morning it was still snowing moderately to heavy. It finally wrapped around Harrisburg by early afternoon with around 2 feet on snow on the ground. 
Then on Tuesday, the upper low swung through & delivered light snow bringing another 1 or 2 inches of snow.

Epic storm!

16 minutes ago, Ruin said:

question wasnt todays high in mdt suppose to be 65ish?  temp got to 55 early in the day then went down to 51 when the rain moved in. tonights low is 50 for what I saw and its all rdy 51. was the forecast changed a few days ago?

MDT's high was 58 so far today....between midnight and 1AM.    Sometimes they adjust it up so could be 59.