• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 2022/2023

Very astute observation but that is on 30 and I am off 16.  Lol.  Impressive though.   We turn at the bar to go to Cowans gap.
I grew up in Orbisonia and swam in I the lake at Cowan's Gap before they traded snakes for e.Coli.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

ADVISED.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service State College PA
213 PM EST Sat Jan 21 2023

PAZ006-011-012-017>019-037-041-042-045-046-049>053-058-221000-
/O.NEW.KCTP.WW.Y.0003.230122T2000Z-230123T0800Z/
Potter-Cameron-Northern Clinton-Clearfield-Northern Centre-
Southern Centre-Tioga-Northern Lycoming-Sullivan-Southern Clinton-
Southern Lycoming-Union-Snyder-Montour-Northumberland-Columbia-
Schuylkill-
Including the cities of Coudersport, Emporium, Renovo, DuBois,
Clearfield, Philipsburg, State College, Mansfield, Wellsboro,
Trout Run, Laporte, Lock Haven, Williamsport, Lewisburg,
Selinsgrove, Danville, Sunbury, Shamokin, Bloomsburg, Berwick,
and Pottsville

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 3 PM SUNDAY TO 3 AM EST
MONDAY...

* WHAT...A several to 8 hour period of snow, then some lighter
mixed precipitation or light freezing rain Sunday night near and
to the south of Interstate 80. Total snow accumulations of 1 to
3 inches and ice accumulations of a light glaze. Snowfall could
be around 4 inches across the highest terrain near and to the
Northeast of the Williamsport and Lock Haven areas.

* WHERE...Portions of central Pennsylvania.

* WHEN...From 3 PM Sunday to 3 AM EST Monday.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...A 1 to 2 hour delay in the changeover to
mixed precipitation Sunday evening could add another inch or so
to the snowfall totals.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation and Pennsylvania
Turnpike Commission remind motorists to adjust speeds based on
driving conditions as winter weather impacts Pennsylvania
roadways.

Call 5 1 1 or visit www.511pa.com for the latest travel, roadway
and traffic conditions.

To report snow or ice, post to the NWS State College Facebook
page, use Twitter @NWSStateCollege, or visit weather.gov/ctp.

&&

$$

Lambert/Martin/Gartner

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

ALEET…I mean… Advisory…for some southern PA counties as well…including mine!

Winter Weather Advisory

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service State College PA

PAZ024>028-033>035-056-221000-
/O.NEW.KCTP.WW.Y.0003.230122T1900Z-230123T0400Z/
Cambria-Blair-Huntingdon-Mifflin-Juniata-Somerset-Bedford-Fulton-
Perry-
Including the cities of Johnstown, Altoona, Huntingdon,
Mount Union, Lewistown, Mifflintown, Somerset, Bedford,
McConnellsburg, and Newport

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 2 PM TO 11 PM EST
SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Wet snow then mixed precipitation expected. Total snow
  accumulations of up to one inch and ice accumulations of up to
  one tenth of an inch.

* WHERE...Portions of central Pennsylvania.

* WHEN...From 2 PM to 11 PM EST Sunday.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...There`s a chance that the changeover to
  mixed precipitation or freezing rain could be delayed by up to
  a few hours late Sunday. This would add around another inch or
  so to the snowfall totals.

2 hours ago, Superstorm said:

I think Lanco gets on the board Wednesday.

Pains me to say it but...I kind of see Wednesday turning into tomorrow's event. Anyone close to that SE edge may see any accumulations march steadily northwest.  12Z Euro already starting that move.  Why bet against the seasonal trend at this point?

1 hour ago, GrandmasterB said:

Pains me to say it but...I kind of see Wednesday turning into tomorrow's event. Anyone close to that SE edge may see any accumulations march steadily northwest.  12Z Euro already starting that move.  Why bet against the seasonal trend at this point?

It is certainly a possibility.  We were seeing WSW levels snows for parts of the LASV tomorrow as recently as 2-3 days ago...and now?  Anyway, the UK upped accums a bit in the Northern LSV for the Wednesday Chruch Train/Halfway to Eagles and Cowboys showdown storm. 

image.thumb.png.0ada7b0342162450a28ad53620f9b3e0.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

It is certainly a possibility.  We were seeing WSW levels snows for parts of the LASV tomorrow as recently as 2-3 days ago...and now?  Anyway, the UK upped accums a bit in the Northern LSV

for Wed.

image.thumb.png.0ada7b0342162450a28ad53620f9b3e0.png

I’d sign up for the this Ukie for Wednesday!

Most models for tomorrow as of a couple of days ago had Advisory level 1-3 or 2-4 inch amounts, especially from Harrisburg north & west. The exceptions were that 1 epic Euro run & that Ukie run that you re-posted this morning.

I still think there is time for the Tomorrow event to trend back to a 1-3 inch snow for the LSV like the HRRR just showed at 18z.

17 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I’d sign up for the this Ukie for Wednesday!

Most models for tomorrow as of a couple of days ago had Advisory level 1-3 or 2-4 inch amounts, especially from Harrisburg north & west. The exceptions were that 1 epic Euro run & that Ukie run that you re-posted this morning.

I still think there is time for the Tomorrow event to trend back to a 1-3 inch snow for the LSV like the HRRR just showed at 18z.

The CMC was also showing big snow whether high ended Adv or low end WSW. It was the first one I saw actually....there was this map which was the last of the big snow maps where the back down start.  The ICON had big snows south of Harrisburg as well. 

image.thumb.png.e5e886cf5f15269a8aac50667f17f061.png

Yeah, the NAM was noticeable in how much colder it was than 12Z.  Also, as others mentioned starting to see some support for the R/S line to crash back to the southeast at some point.  Interesting to see if that holds up during the 0Z runs.  Feels like we've been tracking this one forever and we still have a full day to go!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GrandmasterB said:

Yeah, the NAM was noticeable in how much colder it was than 12Z.  Also, as others mentioned starting to see some support for the R/S line to crash back to the southeast at some point.  Interesting to see if that holds up during the 0Z runs.  Feels like we've been tracking this one forever and we still have a full day to go!

Yes, hopefully we get a decent little event tomorrow pm while tracking the Wednesday front ender!

9 minutes ago, GrandmasterB said:

3K has some ending snow.  Not much to start on it or HRRR unfortunately. 

13 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

The CMC was also showing big snow whether high ended Adv or low end WSW. It was the first one I saw actually....there was this map which was the last of the big snow maps where the back down start.  The ICON had big snows south of Harrisburg as well. 

image.thumb.png.e5e886cf5f15269a8aac50667f17f061.png

I like tracking multiple events in the short to medium range… let’s go!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GrandmasterB said:

I have mostly been liking what I’ve seen from guidance in terms of trending towards a stronger Canadian high that is in a decent position and doesn’t necessarily retreat rapidly either. Looking at 12z suite GFS had a stronger high than the Euro (1035ish vs 1030ish). Comparing ensemble means GEFS and EPS have similar strength to the high (1030ish) with the GEFS mean suggesting a somewhat better positioned high. The Canadian suite is interesting, the op manages to be the furthest west solution while the ensemble mean is in line with the others and is most suggestive of transferring a low to the Delmarva coast. The Euro ensemble has some clustering as well.  Obviously, if this managed to secondary that far down the coast.. that would fare well for extending frozen/mixed precip in C-PA. 

Even without much transfer to the coast, I feel there should be enough of a wedge in place initially to see measurable snow (at least 1”+) in all of the LSV. Globals don’t always see CAD the best, especially more at range. So it will be interesting to see how the short range high res models handle things when we get to that point. Right now, the ensemble blends seem pretty good in terms of mean placement of the major features. We still have some time for getting details sorted out.

GEFS:

image.thumb.png.80fcadba7d00481752ee37609b341866.png

EPS v Canadian ensemble

830456604_ECvCMC.thumb.png.e87e54b6ce601eb6c09b3d06335027ce.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I like tracking multiple events in the short to medium range… let’s go!

They are lined up like a Choo Choo train.  I personally am not feeling tomorrow to be much, but the rest are cautiously exciting and it's the best 4-5 prospective storm lineup in a while IMO (on the maligned GFS.)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

I have mostly been liking what I’ve seen from guidance in terms of trending towards a stronger Canadian high that is in a decent position and doesn’t necessarily retreat rapidly either. Looking at 12z suite GFS had a stronger high than the Euro (1035ish vs 1030ish). Comparing ensemble means GEFS and EPS have similar strength to the high (1030ish) with the GEFS mean suggesting a somewhat better positioned high. The Canadian suite is interesting, the op manages to be the furthest west solution while the ensemble mean is in line with the others and is most suggestive of transferring a low to the Delmarva coast. The Euro ensemble has some clustering as well.  Obviously, if this managed to secondary that far down the coast.. that would fare well for extending frozen/mixed precip in C-PA. 

Even without much transfer to the coast, I feel there should be enough of a wedge in place initially to see measurable snow (at least 1”+) in all of the LSV. Globals don’t always see CAD the best, especially more at range. So it will be interesting to see how the short range high res models handle things when we get to that point. Right now, the ensemble blends seem pretty good in terms of mean placement of the major features. We still have some time for getting details sorted out.

GEFS:

image.thumb.png.80fcadba7d00481752ee37609b341866.png

EPS v Canadian ensemble

830456604_ECvCMC.thumb.png.e87e54b6ce601eb6c09b3d06335027ce.png

Great point about the Canadian High.

Hopefully it keeps trending better.