Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Fall 2022

Bubbler86

20 hours ago, Festus said:

High of 49 so far.  That is one ugly record to break for October 4th.

Millersville October 4th record officially set for lowest max temperature.  Ironically enough. October 5th of last year was the record highest min temperature for the date.

https://www.atmos.millersville.edu/~wic/climo/monthly-extremes/october.pdf

• Like 3

12Z GFS continuing with that "Indian Summer look" (at least for highs, lows are more normal) for next week with ridging over much of the Eastern US.  3 or dare I say 4 potential days in the 70's.   Normal next week is 67ish.  If it gets to 73 or 74...is that Indian Summer, Heat Wave, or just warm days?  The records are in the mid 80's so not extreme by any means. 

This is just model disco and not a forecast. 

16 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

12Z GFS continuing with that "Indian Summer look" (at least for highs, lows are more normal) for next week with ridging over much of the Eastern US.  3 or dare I say 4 potential days in the 70's.   Normal next week is 67ish.  If it gets to 73 or 74...is that Indian Summer, Heat Wave, or just warm days?  The records are in the mid 80's so not extreme by any means. 

This is just model disco and not a forecast. 

Elliott Abrams educated me that Indian Summer occurred only after the 1st legit frost of the season, so barring that this weekend, I'm ruling that out. Mid 70s is NOT a heat wave regardless of what the normal highs are (to me) so that goes out the door.

Sounds like a stretch of warm autumn days are in store for us. :) 

• Like 2

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

Elliott Abrams educated me that Indian Summer occurred only after the 1st legit frost of the season, so barring that this weekend, I'm ruling that out. Mid 70s is NOT a heat wave regardless of what the normal highs are (to me) so that goes out the door.

Sounds like a stretch of warm autumn days are in store for us. :) 

So if it gets to 77 for 3 straight days, no heat wave?  LOL.   I doubt it gets that warm 3 days next week.  Lower 70's 3 days more possible. 

4 hours ago, pasnownut said:

Just looking at the 500 maps and ens guidance and I'm going to pull a Bastardi or Weatherworld long ranger and say that we dont see temps above 75 until next spring.  Tomorrow may tickle that number and the 13th has a bulge in the midwest that if rolled over a bit further east could be a spoiler to my guess as well, but I'm sticking w/ it as there is enough ridging out west and enough push of cold from the land of the canooks to make me feel safe for now.

I'm with you but the GFS has us in the 70's next week. Let's hope it is cooler and get my 540 in here!

3 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I finished nearly 1" higher than you...and almost all of that happened yesterday. I had 1.96" for the day...I got into some heavy action twice that looked to be from my area and just north and east. 

Figured you must have gotten in on some good action yesterday.  I'm back in Harrisburg a couple days a week now so I wasn't home to see what was happening.

• Like 1

It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops. Today, October 2, a Sunday of rain and broken branches and leaf-clogged drains and slick streets, it stopped, and summer was gone.

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Like a lot of my other posts, this was said in jest.  I am one of the better supporters of the local teams to this thread when it comes to discussion and analysis. 

I know that you were joking around…so I am joking around right back at you!

I am enjoying the Eagles 4-0 start as well as the Phillies actually making the playoffs.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

It must have rained a good amount somewhere in the Mahantango Creek basin. I had a total of 1.74 in 3 days but to have the creek come up 3 feet, it rained hard elsewhere. And the little stream beside the house has very little water from the mountain in it.

Graph of  Gage height, feet

NWS put out a map.  According to this, all but the very far west LSV had 1.5" or more in a smoothed out view.

image.thumb.png.4beea158a286299c1d76389d5c3e216d.png

• Like 1