Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,128
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Jdhuffmanhws
    Newest Member
    Jdhuffmanhws
    Joined

Upstate/Eastern New York-Springtime?


Recommended Posts

Seems like it’s been raining or snowing every day since end of October, so I checked…Some stats for BUF: 

Nov 1 to Mar 26 - Precip on 106 out of the 146 days. 40 dry days. 73% of days in that period had precip. 

Nothing earth shattering in those stats, just goes to show how wet/cloudy our climate is here. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I always forget about South Dayton but I think they are up there with Perrysburg for annual snow. There used to be a coop spotter there for awhile but I think they moved. Perrysburg and South Dayton would go back and forth for highest yearly snow totals

clt2282.png.ab5a13770177df735e2bf4374fc5de24.png

The lady that always has the gaudy highest totals in Perrysburg is on some high peak that wrings out the most snow. I'm related to restaurant owners in South Dayton or Dayton, not sure, and it's not nearly as much. I think it's mostly elevation to get the true weenie title.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Leelee said:

The lady that always has the gaudy highest totals in Perrysburg is on some high peak that wrings out the most snow. I'm related to restaurant owners in South Dayton or Dayton, not sure, and it's not nearly as much. I think it's mostly elevation to get the true weenie title.

Yeah the town of Perrysburg is only 1080 feet. Its the ridge tops that get the upslope stuff. Whenever I chase down there you can notice a huge difference just outside of town.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Blue Moon said:

Anything more than 2" in OSW will surprise me. I wouldn't be surprised if I got mostly graupel.

Update: This is actually what happened. 1.7" of mainly graupel. Got some thundersnow!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Why does that area south of cuse in the tully to cazenovia area always max out pretty will? Is it a bit of upslope, I mean they are decently removed from the lake and would need nw flow

The flow is out of the NW..We get that wind direction a lot in the winter, obviously..I feel like"majority" of big events (feet) happen east of the lake but you probably see more consistent snow SE of the lake with the constant northerly flows..They obviously have some elevation as well.. The tug can upslope from various wind direction which is why they have it made lol 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, wolfie09 said:

The flow is out of the NW..We get that wind direction a lot in the winter, obviously..I feel like"majority" of big events (feet) happen east of the lake but you probably see more consistent snow SE of the lake with the constant northerly flows..They obviously have some elevation as well.. The tug can upslope from various wind direction which is why they have it made lol 

I guess what I mean, while it probably snows a lot, it seems like its a lot of minor like 2-4 3-5 constant type events and chance of a big event like 12+ is tough to come by

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

The flow is out of the NW..We get that wind direction a lot in the winter, obviously..I feel like"majority" of big events (feet) happen east of the lake but you probably see more consistent snow SE of the lake with the constant northerly flows..They obviously have some elevation as well.. The tug can upslope from various wind direction which is why they have it made lol 

It always astounds me when the tug can cash in on a NW flow. It makes no sense. Lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yawn. The Syracuse suckfest continues on. I hate NW flow lake effect. We maybe have gotten two inches, but it melts, then a new dusting, then melts... somewhat of a snowcover, but hard to get much more with the crap elevation and the ever-so-typical showery scope of lake effect. We rarely ever see consistent snowfall like the Tug and Buffalo areas. I am sure this will put BGM over SYR even though we were "supposed" to get more.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This was never going to be much at lower elevations unless there was surprisingly long lasting heavy snow that doesn't happen this time of year with cellular lake effect or extreme cold. I don't know why NWS and some mets put up the clown maps, but I complain about that enough.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

Yawn. The Syracuse suckfest continues on. I hate NW flow lake effect. We maybe have gotten two inches, but it melts, then a new dusting, then melts... somewhat of a snowcover, but hard to get much more with the crap elevation and the ever-so-typical showery scope of lake effect. We rarely ever see consistent snowfall like the Tug and Buffalo areas. I am sure this will put BGM over SYR even though we were "supposed" to get more.

Your expectations always exceed reality. The 2 inches I got today exceeded my expectations and if the majority hadn’t fallen during the night I wouldn’t have gotten that. Don’t forget our sun angle is now the same as mid September’s and the normal high is in the mid 40s and rising every day. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

I think it's more due to the NWS expectations lol Forecast is still for some snow this evening SE of the lake.. They continue to update event total which started yesterday at 5 pm through tomorrow AM..

StormTotalSnow (17).jpg

Exactly. Lol... Thanks! BGM is usually more conservative with their maps, and I know to follow theirs. So, when they usually show a healthier amount, I think they're seeing something that would make it more of a reality.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

I think it's more due to the NWS expectations lol Forecast is still for some snow this evening SE of the lake.. They continue to update event total which started yesterday at 5 pm through tomorrow AM..

StormTotalSnow (17).jpg

That map for N Cayuga toward Onondaga county is bonkers. C'mon divide by 2...

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...