• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring/Summer 2022 Medium/Long Range Forecast Discussion.

John1122

On 4/23/2022 at 3:06 PM, PowellVolz said:

Are we still thinking summer could be dryer than normal?

IMHO, depends on if there is a Nina hangover.   If there is, early summer could be hot and dry.  If Nino begins to take over, the middle to second half of summer could be seasonal (which still means hot) and decent precip.  I haven't looked that closely at though, so huge grains of salt there.  Spring seems to have been a mix of both.

• Like 1

If this next batch of precip weakens as it approaches NE TN(as it has for much of spring), we may find ourselves on the drought monitor by next month.  It is getting quite dry.  That is a bad sign for summer in regards to heat and drought.  Looks like Niña conditions will persist for a while.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Managed some t-storms and rain here around midnight to 2am last night. Looks like there could be some heavy stuff Friday. 

This is the first time in 3 or 4 years we've not had at least one historic flooding event by this point in the year. So while it's not truly dry here, it seems like it compared to the last several years. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

If this next batch of precip weakens as it approaches NE TN(as it has for much of spring), we may find ourselves on the drought monitor by next month.  It is getting quite dry.  That is a bad sign for summer in regards to heat and drought.  Looks like Niña conditions will persist for a while.

Ugh.  My yard is finally looks best it ever has.  Thick & very green.  Hopefully it turns into a wet summer.  Pleaseeeeee!

• Like 1

We really need some rain. We have fescue and our yard is the best it's looked in the 6 years we've been here. With that said, one side of our yard heading to the back sits in the sun 90% of the day. It's starting to struggle as it usually does in the heat. My front and other side is still lush, thick and green. I'm almost to the point of just keeping the good area green year round and basically trying to keep the sun baked side alive but not worrying about trying to keep it as nice as the front.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 5/11/2022 at 7:54 PM, Uncle Nasty said:

We really need some rain. We have fescue and our yard is the best it's looked in the 6 years we've been here. With that said, one side of our yard heading to the back sits in the sun 90% of the day. It's starting to struggle as it usually does in the heat. My front and other side is still lush, thick and green. I'm almost to the point of just keeping the good area green year round and basically trying to keep the sun baked side alive but not worrying about trying to keep it as nice as the front. emoji53.png

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Mine is just about to go dormant. I cut it Monday of this week, and there has been zero growth since then.

Last week...Portions of NE TN  were added to the drought monitor(early stages).  The area in SE TN was expanded.  Today’s update will be interesting.  We are in a cycle where NE TN is dry and getting drier.  It has been my experience that those types of summers tend to struggled to get back to normal for precip.  I put my garden in slightly early this year as a bit of a gamble.  I think late summer has the potential to be really tough on gardens and farms.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

Last week...Portions of NE TN  were added to the drought monitor(early stages).  The area in SE TN was expanded.  Today’s update will be interesting.  We are in a cycle where NE TN is dry and getting drier.  It has been my experience that those types of summers tend to struggled to get back to normal for precip.  I put my garden in slightly early this year as a bit of a gamble.  I think late summer has the potential to be really tough on gardens and farms.  

Yep . Writing on the wall .

Looking like severe weather is possible tomorrow afternoon. I-40 looks to be on the southern edge of the boundary and with the storm motion to the SE, will not be surprised if the southern end of the MCS has rotating supercells. MRX is saying Cams are showing anywhere from 2k to 4k joules with a inverted V mid level profile. Forcing will be weak but there will be boundaries to the SE of the convection that tracked across SE Kentucky.

• Like 2

We received some decent rain last night in the form of a severe storm.  2" size hail fell in Church Hill.  We saw that incoming on the radar and were getting ready to move our cars to a parking garage downtown!    Right as we got ready to load-up, the severe hail portion of the storm dissipated.  Areas of Fall Branch received some smaller hail as it crossed Bays Mountain.  Outside of high winds, hail is the worst.  After dealing with that several years ago in the form of torn-up cars(broken windows and looking like they had been hit with a hammer), gutters with holes in them, broken furniture, and a new roof(after getting a new roof just 6mos earlier)....I truly hate hail storms.  Thankful for the rain, though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic