• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem Snowstorm! 2/2-2/4

22 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I actually don't mind it for the big dogs. But I don't like it for every storm. They've been naming hurricanes and tropical storms for years. 

Sort of agree for legit big storms. It certainly helps the NE crew keep track of ALL THE BLIZZARDS they get. ;)

NHC started naming TS & Hurricanes for a similar reason way back in the day. In the late 1980s into 1990s, local media in New England (trailblazers in lowering the journalism bar) started naming storms to expand their ambulance-chasing type of broadcast "news" coverage.  Eventually TWC started doing this, being the "big dawg" of on air "weather" coverage/hype. This was about the same time they went to seed with programming changes to cater to the masses, vs wonks, while canning dozens of experienced mets. That's my recollection anyway.

2 hours ago, CNY_WX said:

I wake up and look at the 6Z GFS to see if it pushed any further north only to see it head south.  Did somebody in the New England forum hack into the GFS algorithm?  They must be going crazy over there. 

Will be interesting to see how modelology progresses this week.  I'm not getting on the ledge over a single 6Z model run.   There has never been a winter storm where the exact same track/output has been locked in-place for days. This past nor'easter is case in point, all sorts of shenanigans across the entire suite of models right up to gametime...

• Like 1

• BuffaloWeather changed the title to Model Mayhem Snowstorm! 2/2-2/4