Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem Snowstorm! 2/2-2/4

58 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

January Climate Data for Sizzlecuse...

KSYZ and IMBY haven't had a >6" snowstorm yet this season.  Jan storm ended up near 6.5" (7.6" at KSYZ) but that included a bunch of backend lake enhanced snowfall.  Too many <3" events to mention.

We were about 80% of normal snowfall and 73% total qpf for Jan and -4.6F for month. So cold and dry. Could be worse, could be December...

Noticed lowest temp at KSYZ for Jan was -9F (twice) with 7 subzero lows and 2 days at exactly 0 for mins.  Figuring in the 1-2F temp bias at KSYZ, we were likely lower than those values for both absolute and total # of min subzero temps. 

Jan grade: C

Season grade to date: D+

Nov grade: C

Dec grade: D-

Great info!

Would you know what is the lowest recorded minimum high for KYSR in Winter?

57 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

Well you guys down in CNY reeled this in, congrats haha. I will be bowing and throwing in the towel on this storm as it looks like nothing more then a run of the mill 2-5" snow for the GTHA over 

Bring on Spring! haha 

You think they'll cancel the winter storm watch for Hamilton?

Rain from Albany to Portland at maximum warmth.  Yup, its certainly an 18z NAM run. Hopefully the A-Team doesn't follow suit later on

Edit:  As depicted, would probably mean more ice, as it'll be tough to knock out that low level cold air.  Not going to spend too much time dwelling on it at this point though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 96blizz said:

The low on the RGEM is nearly identical to the 18z NAM.  Precip types are obviously thermal issues but it's 2 for 2 in the 18z suite "amped"

Not that I spent much time looking at it earlier, but the RGEM looks a little cooler over it's last run.

23 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

NAM verifying would make me sick 

Lol BGM added Delaware to the WSW and Albany did nothing this afternoon. This scenario is one that gets me with the whole Watch/Warning criteria. BGM goes the 'high impact' route for justification in Delaware with 4-6" and .25 ice which is a more than reasonable justification imo. In fact I'd argue 5 inches of wet snowfall on top of .25 of ice accretion  together is probably a much higher impact to life and property than a straight up 8-10" of snow drawn out over 24 hours.

4 minutes ago, BGM Blizzard said:

Lol BGM added Delaware to the WSW and Albany did nothing this afternoon. This scenario is one that gets me with the whole Watch/Warning criteria. BGM goes the 'high impact' route for justification in Delaware with 4-6" and .25 ice which is a more than reasonable justification imo. In fact I'd argue 5 inches of snow and .25 of ice accretion together is probably a much higher impact to life and property than a straight up 8-10" of snow drawn out over 24 hours.

Albany is a great office, but they're usually the very last ones to pull the trigger on watches and especially warnings.  And that seems especially true when it involves the greater capital region counties.  Maybe its a verification score thing, I dunno.  Ultimately, it obviously makes no difference to what the weather will do, but it is a little surprising they didn't issue any more watches.  I'm sure they will by tomorrow morning, but at that point we're only talking about a 12+ hour lead time.