• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

I didn't see this thread until now, good to see it. I think this appears to have major maybe historic potential. The ceiling is higher than for most events this year because it's on the cusp of a pattern change and as we lead into it, if the movement of the storm slows just a little the trough can sharpen up and tuck it in just enough to put us in very heavy snow. The storm could have both GOM and Atlantic moisture as well. I just posted all the maps in the wrong thread but that's how the day has been.

WX/PT

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Intensewind002 said:

We had an 18” storm only a few years ago in suffolk, march 2018. Did western Nassau get shafted in that one?

Yup as did the city.  It happens over and over again, I think it's because urbanized areas can't experience that kind of extreme snowfall event so late in the season.....too much concrete.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Rjay said:

In my intial post I talked about how we would need to thread the needle.   This remains very true.  

where is that SE ridge that's supposed to be a permanent feature of our new climate?  In theory at least OTS storms should be way less common because of how much stronger it is compared to previous decades in a warmer climate and with warmer Atlantic SST.

This is insane. The pressure gradient over eastern New England is ridiculous, 75mph+ winds. I do not have precip maps but given the track I would guess we are on the western edge of the heavier snow with the heaviest snowfall to our east. But the Euro is another model trending closer to us so we watch and wait: 

WX/PT

ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_7.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wxoutlooksblog said:

This is insane. The pressure gradient over eastern New England is ridiculous, 75mph+ winds. I do not have precip maps but given the track I would guess we are on the western edge of the heavier snow with the heaviest snowfall to our east. But the Euro is another model trending closer to us so we watch and wait: 

WX/PT

ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_7.png

This could trend towards a Boxing Day type event, there is nothing really keeping it from going even further west.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wxoutlooksblog said:

This beginning to have a February 5, 1978 feel to it. Of course many things are different. But that storm also started with a low over the ocean down off the southeast coast and came closer and closer to us as time went on.

WX/PT

More like Boxing Day but granted I dont remember 2/78 outside of seeing a lot of white outside