Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Annual Countdown to May 1 Thread ©

weatherwiz

58 minutes ago, dendrite said:

KLRF 120120Z 18011G21KT 110V250 10SM +FC 1SM DUE N BKN041 BKN060 OVC100 22/17 A2973 RMK RAE0056DZB0056E19 TSE06TSB14 PRESRR SLP069

KLRF 120126Z COR 23023G32KT 9SM +FC +TSRAGR FEW002 FEW027 SCT036 BKN043 OVC060 22/17 A2975 RMK TORNADO B26 N MOVE NE RAE0056DZB0056E19 TSE06TSB14E20TSB21 GR 3/4 SLP075 COR 0233

I wonder if they typed that from the basement 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

I'm hoping for an active pattern as we move into the end of May/early June. Geared up to go chasing this year and even into the West...although I've had reservations about going into the Plains. It's always been a goal to go storm chasing out in the Plains but given the downhill spiral the hobby has become I don't think it's worth it. You have people who think they're above the law and blowing stop signs, red lights, making illegal turns - virtually making their own rules. Last thing I need is to get destroyed by some idiot. 

As much as it sucks chasing around the Northeast my friend and I don't mind it. Technically though I guess you could say we don't "chase". We aren't driving around trying to get to storms. Typically we'll pick a location where everything looks favorable and go to that spot...and once initiation happens we'll make some movement but our goal is to get to an open lot or field and good 30-45 minutes before the storms hit and enjoy it that way. Not racing 90 mph to catch storms. 

The bolded is way more dangerous than the storm itself.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

WOW!!  It's been a LONG time since I read your posts, Wiz!!  Hope all is well with you!  

In case you haven't heard....I'M RETIRED!  Left NWS BOX on April 30, 2020...just in time for the pandemic!  I've been very quiet since then.  Had my retirement party (finally!) on May 21, as the pandemic waned in early May.  Only about 2 dozen people there, including my 2 sisters and a few other family members (one sister with her husband and stepdaughter), but it was really nice!!  ;)  One Boston TV met (who just retired, too!) stopped by to wish me well!!  EPIC!  

You can keep in touch with me through my new GMail account (the Comcast one just up and died on me!!).  It's [email protected] .  I'm on LinkedIn too.  Anyone that reads this can reached out, too!  :thumbsup:  

Take care, my friend, and keep in touch!!!  

--Turtle  :D

• Like 3