Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

That was why I picked the weather radio.  It would be "new to you".  Ha.  No cable probably meant a more fulfilling childhood.  Not wasted glued to the TV. 

No doubt.   Last time it snowed there wasn’t one kid sledding down the local hill.   I’d stay outside until the edge of frostbite.   

On a side note, have you ever considered joining Cocarahs?   

1 minute ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

No doubt.   Last time it snowed there wasn’t one kid sledding down the local hill.   I’d stay outside until the edge of frostbite.   

On a side note, have you ever considered joining Cocarahs?   

Yep, my buddies and I would stay out playing football in the snow until dark set.  Once I almost got very severe frostbite on my big toe, was wearing cleats that were too tight and toes got wet in subfreezing temps but kept playing long past the time they went numb.  When I got home and took the cleats off my one big toe was blue/purple and couldn't feel a thing; foolishly tried to put hot water on it.  Ended up with a trip to the Doc and him telling me I wasn't too far off from losing it.  Dumb kid.  But hey, we had a game to win.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Cable TV - my goodness, it didn't even exist until I was well into my teens. Once it arrived it was years before I realized that life existed outside of The Weather Channel, Home Team Sports, and PRISM. 

PRISM was great used to watch it with my dad all the time. Flyers and Sixers!

15 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

That was why I picked the weather radio.  It would be "new to you".  Ha.  No cable probably meant a more fulfilling childhood.  Not wasted glued to the TV. 

Putting myself out there a bit - during childhood winters I slept with my NOAA weather radio. I always got excited when Bob Kurl would say "at 2:35am, National Weather Service radar shows an increasing area of snow...this area of snow extends from Central PA all the way south into Central Virginia. This area of snow is slowly moving north at 15 mph". 

• Like 3

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

Putting myself out there a bit - during childhood winters I slept with my NOAA weather radio. I always got excited when Bob Kurl would say "at 2:35am, National Weather Service radar shows an increasing area of snow...this area of snow extends from Central PA all the way south into Central Virginia. This area of snow is slowly moving north at 15 mph". 

I still use a weather radio.  Enjoy the Alerts going off even though there are many other ways to get them.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Low of 23 here, which pales in comparison to the -34 reached at Seagull Lake, MN.  0z suite was a parade of lakes cutters and apps runners.  Rain for LSV Thursday has been seriously muted with each successive run; keeps mud season at bay, for now.  Onward.

Yeah it looks like NW'ers do better w/ qpf for Thursday.  Headed to Philly Thurs night to see Darius Rucker, so I'm hoping the rain is light.  

Also looks like later next week is starting to be the time where chances are popping up, as the boundary seems to sag far enough south for us to get a few more chances as we head into March.  Blizz was chirpin about this and it looks legit ens guidance shows March looking like March....not Morch.  I'd be down w/ a couple weeks of winter before I go on weather sabbatical.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I was 14 at the time and my life was baseball. I absolutely went nuts after this:

Wow, Eddie Murray.  He looks so "normal" in that pic.  The Juiced up players of today (even if legal juice) are so much larger now.  Back then Eddie was considered big.   And the Angels with no names on their Jersey's. 

26 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Wow, Eddie Murray.  He looks so "normal" in that pic.  The Juiced up players of today (even if legal juice) are so much larger now.  Back then Eddie was considered big.   And the Angels with no names on their Jersey's. 

Eddie was my idol during my teen years. Just like the 76ers seemed to lose every game I went to during the first half of this season, Eddie almost always homered at games I went to during the late 70s and early 80s. Always. The thunderous chants of Ed-die...Ed-die...Ed-die raining down at Memorial Stadium...I'll never ever forget it. I still get goosebumps thinking about it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

Eddie was my idol during my teen years. Just like the 76ers seemed to lose every game I went to during the first half of this season, Eddie almost always homered at games I went to during the late 70s and early 80s. Always. The thunderous chants of Ed-die...Ed-die...Ed-die raining down at Memorial Stadium...I'll never ever forget it. I still get goosebumps thinking about it. 

500+ HR's says it all! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

500+ HR's says it all! 

Speaking of which...my closest friend today is someone I went to school with 40 years ago, and now today we work together. He is casual baseball fan who somewhat follows the Phillies but has never been an Orioles fan. Well...he went to his first O's game the very night that Eddie hit his 500th homerun. And guess what? He was the final destination for the path of that homerun. If you pause the video at around the 15 second mark, you'll see my friend with the ball raised getting hugged by his wife. He was whisked away by security and met Eddie after the game. Eddie gave him 2 signed bats, 2 signed jerseys, and other items in exchange for the ball. All of this while I'm watching at home. I didn't realize until the next day who caught the ball. 

I mean...this is like Blizz tracking snowstorms for 20 years and never seeing a flake, and then he leaves the area and Marysville gets 3' the day after he leaves. Pretty much how I felt. Yeah, I was sort of jealous: 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Speaking of which...my closest friend today is someone I went to school with 40 years ago, and now today we work together. He is casual baseball fan who somewhat follows the Phillies but has never been an Orioles fan. Well...he went to his first O's game the very night that Eddie hit his 500th homerun. And guess what? He was the final destination for the path of that homerun. If you pause the video at around the 15 second mark, you'll see my friend with the ball raised getting hugged by his wife. He was whisked away by security and met Eddie after the game. Eddie gave him 2 signed bats, 2 signed jerseys, and other items in exchange for the ball. All of this while I'm watching at home. I didn't realize until the next day who caught the ball. 

I mean...this is like Blizz tracking snowstorms for 20 years and never seeing a flake, and then he leaves the area and Marysville gets 3' the day after he leaves. Pretty much how I felt. Yeah, I was sort of jealous: 

That is a truly crazy story.  You can see there is a scramble for the ball too (the first fan section shot) so he would have had to do some fighting for that thing. Did he keep the stuff or sell it? 

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

That is a truly crazy story.  You can see there is a scramble for the ball too (the first fan section shot) so he would have had to do some fighting for that thing. Did he keep the stuff or sell it? 

He has all of it. I was just looking at it recently. I mean, to understand the context, I followed Eddie Murray for 20 years. I saw him play literally hundreds of times. I knew more about Eddie than Eddie knew about himself. I'm watching him hit number 500, and I'm sitting there thinking why I wasn't there to see this? Then I get a call the next day from someone who had NEVER gone to an Orioles game in his life, and he just happens to catch history? 

What are those odds? 

Okay - back to weather. It's warming up quickly - after a low of 25, it's already up to 38 now. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

He has all of it. I was just looking at it recently. I mean, to understand the context, I followed Eddie Murray for 20 years. I saw him play literally hundreds of times. I knew more about Eddie than Eddie knew about himself. I'm watching him hit number 500, and I'm sitting there thinking why I wasn't there to see this? Then I get a call the next day from someone who had NEVER gone to an Orioles game in his life, and he just happens to catch history? 

What are those odds? 

Okay - back to weather. It's warming up quickly - after a low of 25, it's already up to 38 now. 

It is crazy.  Something that should probably be more known as in a Baltimore Sun newspaper article, etc...

35 here.  Probably headed for 50. 

• Like 1