Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

1 minute ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Eh I hear you but we've still had plenty of wicked winter bouts.  Winter of 2103-2014 featured incredible cold and snow.  Jan through March of 2015 also comes to mind, was the coldest such period in history for our area.  We also had 364 consecutive hours of being below freezing from 12/25/17 to 1/9/18.  Lord knows we still get our fair share of big snowstorms as well.  I understand the consistency may not be there and the last couple winters haven't been great but they still come around.  Keep the faith!

I had one 12' plus storm in the 70s. I think one, two at the most in the 80s. 2 more in the 90s. Since 2000 - there's been at least 7 off the top of my head. 

The frequency has increased. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Eh I hear you but we've still had plenty of wicked winter bouts.  Winter of 2103-2014 featured incredible cold and snow.  Jan through March of 2015 also comes to mind, was the coldest such period in history for our area.  We also had 364 consecutive hours of being below freezing from 12/25/17 to 1/9/18.  Lord knows we still get our fair share of big snowstorms as well.  I understand the consistency may not be there and the last couple winters haven't been great but they still come around.  Keep the faith!

I predict a rebuttal from someone on the bolded :-) 

13 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Yep keeping faith

Only one night at or below freezing on the 12Z GFS panels through next weekend.  One thing this does is limits any chance of typical ice skating scenes on ponds this winter (yet again). Having nothing frozen over late into Dec.   That is one BIG difference from our visions of winters past...especially in movies.  

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Only one night at or below freezing on the 12Z GFS panels through next weekend.  One thing this does is limits any chance of typical ice skating scenes on ponds this winter (yet again). Having nothing frozen over late into Dec.   That is one BIG difference from our visions of winters past...especially in movies.  

I'm only at 156

31 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I had one 12' plus storm in the 70s. I think one, two at the most in the 80s. 2 more in the 90s. Since 2000 - there's been at least 7 off the top of my head. 

The frequency has increased. 

Correct, the frequency of large storms has increased but the consistency of more modest type events has seemed to decrease.  It's funny, I was once working on a study comparing snow totals and types of events across many decades, with the main aim of tackling the notion of "winters were better back in the day" that we always hear so much about.  Preliminarily, if I recall correctly, I found that there really wasn't the magnitude of difference in snow totals that people seem to think there is; however, unfortunately I let the project fall off and never finished it.  Perhaps I'll pick it up again one day but babies make anything involving spare time difficult ha.  One day.....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Correct, the frequency of large storms has increased but the consistency of more modest type events has seemed to decrease.  It's funny, I was once working on a study comparing snow totals and types of events across many decades, with the main aim of tackling the notion of "winters were better back in the day" that we always hear so much about.  Preliminarily, if I recall correctly, I found that there really wasn't the magnitude of difference in snow totals that people seem to think there is; however, unfortunately I let the project fall off and never finished it.  Perhaps I'll pick it up again one day but babies make anything involving spare time difficult ha.  One day.....

"Go big or go home" applies to our snow events as well. 

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

The proper way to handle those when posting is to say we need one of them to change the pattern. 

My understanding coming into this winter season was that a lot of the snow we do get would likely result from cutting storms that produced snow to mix to rain scenarios. I think most experts are saying this will be a season full of cutters. 

We might really struggle for pure snow events. 

4 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

My understanding coming into this winter season was that a lot of the snow we do get would likely result from cutting storms that produced snow to mix to rain scenarios. I think most experts are saying this will be a season full of cutters. 

We might really struggle for pure snow events. 

Like this one back in 2013:

No photo description available.