• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 6th-7th 2022 Second Chance Storm

John1122

We are 48 hours or so from this potential system beginning in Western areas of the forum. We have concensus model agreement of a system sliding south of the forecast area, leaving us in the cold sector.

Temps in advance are way better than yesterday's set up, which worked well for some and skipped others. Any rain here looks to be brief before the snow starts in snow favored areas. Though most areas are modeled to begin as snow and stay snow. 

The track of the 850 low was pretty classic for snow events nearly valley wide, though the southern border, as currently modeled, would probably see temperature issues. 

Should be an interesting 48 hours of model watching. This is a good second chance for some who missed the best bands yesterday. 

• Like 7

• Mr Bob pinned this topic

Definitely one of those storms where the top end is likely 6".  Any more amped for more moisture and this thing misses us all to the north.  Models really have locked on to a pretty decent track for a lot of TN.  But I'm wary of the NW trend over the next day. Atleast this one is our more favorable cold ground higher ratio event.

• Like 3

I like the GFS/Euro blend. NAM is still probably too north the 12Z run. UK Met is with the other globals south of the NAM. Still blanks Chattanooga. However it looks really similar to Sunday night.

Add more for Western Tenn. If we can get a more diffuse northern boundary then Kentucky remains well in play. Track may be broader north and west. South side (KCHA) still has warm nose issues. Also does not line up as well for North Alabama (still light snow but not nearly as much).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That's not bad right above. 1-2 West. My conceptual model has 1-3 most of Mid-Tenn, except far southern. Then 3-5 looks reasonable Upper Cumberland into Kentucky. Upper Great Valley should do better than last time. Chart looks similar at higher elevations with 6-8. KCHA remains a big warm nose risk. Signal and Lookout get snow again though.

GFS below must be forecasting some banding. Not unreasonable, somewhere in the Region.

• Like 2

Besides the fluke 6z NAM where it was being the typical NAM over amping, this should be a good event board wide. Only areas of concern to me are 1) as Jeff said the very southern valley with its slight warm nose (trends have been slowly inching to a little better solution there) and 2) the moisture return near the Memphis/NW TN area. Less amping of the system doesn't get the moisture feed going until a hair late.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TellicoWx said:

12z Euro has a better moisture transport up the valley without blasting the LLJ (warm nose) up it..compared to say the 12z GFS which doesn't veer the LLJ as good up from the gulf (source region)...interesting to watch which has the better handle.

I remember a couple February's ago when this happened with rain and Knoxville got 5+ inches of rain, but can't remember this ever happening with snow. If this happens, great for mby, but hopefully we all score on this one!

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic