• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2021/2022 January Thread

AMZ8990

The 12z GFS continues to advertise a potentially potent winter weather pattern beginning around the 15th.  Both 96-59 and 14-15 and 85-85 all had second half cold shots which produced copious amounts of winter weather for the forum area.  Maybe all three had warm Decembers.   I don't want to hype that timeframe too much, but even Cosgrove mentioned it today.   It could completely go "poof", but I like where modeling is today.  What I would say is that timeframe would certainly fit analogs and what modeling is portraying.  Additionally, the MJO is potentially(not a slam dunk yet) going to rotate back out of 7 and into colder phases or the colder plots of the COD.  Preliminarily, that is our next window or just a continuation of this window(whichever verbiage you prefer).

• Like 4

This is NOT a forecast.  All speculation at this range.  This is an example of what I said above about the pattern after the 15th.  If you are going to draw up a cold, snowy pattern for the Rockies and eastward, this is how it looks.  Blocking up top and see where the trough comes into the Lower 48 and turns eastward (the western Plains)....that is a pattern that would allow for a winter system(s) to track across our area.  That is an EPO driven pattern with a ridge centered just below Greenland.  Go look at some great winters storms in the East, and that is very close to the look.

Screen_Shot_2022-01-05_at_12.55.22_PM.pn

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Mr. Kevin said:

I actually liked that one better than last February for my area. Nice system. All epo driven I believe 

Kentucky was in the colder air longer and my area had a warm nose that took longer to erode but 6-8 hours of sleet and 6-8 hours of moderate to heavy snow. Most impressive yet

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bigbald said:

Posterity sake for Carvers 384 dreamland:

Over the last week GFS has been hinting off and on with some major artic intrusions, at times its been really fun to watch.

gfs_T2m_us_65.png

That would be extreme for sure.  Pretty sure that is with zero snow on the ground.  We will have to watch as LR modeling is trying to spin-up storms after mid-month.  With so much cold in Canada, wouldn't take much.  For now, definitely fantasy land...but maybe not for my pipes!!!

• Like 2

Pattern looks great from the 15th to roughly the 30th.  Get the EPS looking like what Holston posted, things could be rocking.  What a turn around from last week.  The 30d map on the Euro Weeklies is BN for temps and roughly AN for precip for the forum area. As we have seen this week, AN precip and BN temps is a good combo.  

• Like 2

My birthday is Jan. 25th.  Every year, the only gift I wish for is a 6"+ snow.  We've not had a good setup for years even close, so we'll see, but if a storm is progged for around the 25th, just know that I have a jinx there.  I might help everyone out by going on a Caribbean vacation for my birthday.  :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EastKnox said:

And yes, could I take a 500mb trough, with some negative tilt on the side.

The map that @Bigbaldposted above is wild.  It will change here at 18z most assuredly.  But this is what was under that at 500.  I know you know this, East Knox, but for those new to the forum...this is just for fun since it was so extreme.  

Screen_Shot_2022-01-06_at_5.22.50_PM.png

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

32 minutes ago, Jed33 said:

That looks like the PV coming down into the US to say hi!

18z GFS(several previous runs as well).....What really has me intrigued is the parade of storms with relatively BN temps in place - cold weather plus an active STJ.  Beginning around the 15th(210), I count roughly 4 systems out to 330.  Models hasn't finished running yet.  

• Like 2

12z GFS was brutally cold. The ironic thing is guess what happened in 1985 at the same time frame today’s 12z gfs indicated the brutal cold! Man, 1984-1985 just keeps popping up all over the pace this winter. It may not happen like that, but gotta say it’s uncanny how common these two winters are. For sure a great analog to this year!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jed33 said:

12z GFS was brutally cold. The ironic thing is guess what happened in 1985 at the same time frame today’s 12z gfs indicated the brutal cold! Man, 1984-1985 just keeps popping up all over the pace this winter. It may not happen like that, but gotta say it’s uncanny how common these two winters are. For sure a great analog to this year!

95-96 is sneaking in there.  This snow in middle TN is super similar to one of those storms, just displaced to the west a bit.  We have had two forum snowstorms in one week.  The high temp was 78 here on Saturday.  What a flip!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jed33 said:

Not many people remember in the area, but there was a snow event on the Plateau and SE Kentucky on January 5th 1985. I had 3 inches, Williamsburg Kentucky had 3 inches and the Oneida station reports .40 precip with temps of 34-30. It was slightly drier and warmer further east. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Not many people remember in the area, but there was a snow event on the Plateau and SE Kentucky on January 5th 1985. I had 3 inches, Williamsburg Kentucky had 3 inches and the Oneida station reports .40 precip with temps of 34-30. It was slightly drier and warmer further east. 

And even more crazy, temps were in the 70s in the eastern Valley on Jan 1.  

• Like 2

LR looks good.  The MJO looks good on most of the CPC plots as well.  The ECMWF(bias correction), gets a wee bit too close to phase 6 for my liking.  The GEFS basically stalls the MJO on the border of phase 8 in perpetuity.  The Weeklies look like background cold phases.  The Weeklies do provide an idea of where the Euro MJO is heading - i.e. creates a reasonable bridge from todays plots to the LR.

Not a lot to add.  A bit of a break in tracking right now.  Nearly all ensembles and the GFS operational show a very active and cold pattern beginning around the 15th or 16th.  Cold shot on tap early next week.  I do have my eye on that, but don't see much more than back end flurries at the moment.  Looks like a warm-up from the 13th-15th.

Again, LR modeling has been pretty decent since early December.  So, hopefully they reel in yet another good timeframe for tracking winter storms.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic