Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter

Rjay

6 hours ago, Rjay said:

Few things guys:

1.  Do not bash one of the only mets that posts here.   I will lose my shit.

2.  If you don't add anything, don't talk shit about others.

3.  Don't start a thread with a snow map.

4.  Ititktkfkclxkckcofkfkckcjc  

4.  is Klingon for anyone who sends more than five weenies a day will be BANNED

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

Why do people seem to think posting over and over again about how a few people got a storm wrong is any better than the original annoying posts over and over exaggerating the potential outcome? 

YOU ARENT DOING ANYTHING DIFFERENT THAN WHAT YOURE COMPLAINING ABOUT, except doing it in a dick way thats ruining conversations here. 

if you think this is about you, it is. Make better posts.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

It's easy to forget what thread you are in when reading it on a little phone.  Especially if you've just read a bunch of banter posts.  At least I've been guilty of that.

Totally understand that. It’s the same damn discussion that comes up over and over as to what the coast is, what the metro is, blah, blah blah.  It’s clear that not only are many on here not geographers, which is understandable, but some it appear can’t even interpret a map. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Totally understand that. It’s the same damn discussion that comes up over and over as to what the coast is, what the metro is, blah, blah blah.  It’s clear that not only are many on here not geographers, which is understandable, but some it appear can’t even interpret a map. 

It was honestly better when we had one thread for everything.  I love reading so I have no problems reading several pages.

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

Good evening Irish. I do manage to find my way around the Postage Stamp.  I admit it’s been tricky at times. Stay well, as always ….

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

Its an interesting discussion for when things are boring. I agree its frustrating when it becomes part of storm threads.  

39 minutes ago, Doorman said:

betcha no one will even notice Bell 

but take a look at this....

P_96hrsfc.thumb.gif.f4e357bfa76a9a2c8a979dda8874daed.gif

think I see a few Olympic careers that washed away, in there :bag:

Wow, that reminds me of a report I saw on Pattrn where they said that by 2100 only 1 of the last 21 Winter Olympics sites would still be able to hold them because of AGW.

13 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Its an interesting discussion for when things are boring. I agree its frustrating when it becomes part of storm threads.  

Do you know that people in the city don't believe me when I tell them that Manhattan is an island and that Brooklyn and Queens are part of Long Island?  They also don't believe that one can live in the city and yet also live by the beach..... they say, what beach?  This is New York City, there are no beaches here.

Brooklyn and Queens should just secede and  join Nassau and Suffolk County and form our own city, let's call it Long Island City ;-)

2 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Do you know that people in the city don't believe me when I tell them that Manhattan is an island and that Brooklyn and Queens are part of Long Island?  They also don't believe that one can live in the city and yet also live by the beach..... they say, what beach?  This is New York City, there are no beaches here.

Brooklyn and Queens should just secede and  join Nassau and Suffolk County and form our own city, let's call it Long Island City ;-)

Thats so interesting! People don't know they live on an island? The whole city is Islands except the Bronx. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Thats so interesting! People don't know they live on an island? The whole city is Islands except the Bronx. 

Exactly!  I kept telling my parents that when I was in 3rd grade and we lived in Brooklyn and they didn't believe me (they especially didn't believe me when I told them Brooklyn was on long island lol and they were adamant about it and told everyone-- he's just a kid and doesn't know what he's talking about, ignore him LOL), and my mom was a doctor, mind you, it wasn't like she was dumb in the least.  People just don't notice (or maybe even care) about these things.

The only reason I knew was because I was super fascinated by maps even I was that age and used to draw/sketch maps of the boroughs (and then long island when we moved there the following year) back when I was 8-9 years old.

Just now, LibertyBell said:

Exactly!  I kept telling my parents that when I was in 3rd grade and we lived in Brooklyn and they didn't believe me, and my mom was a doctor, mind you, it wasn't like she was dumb in the least.  People just don't notice (or maybe even care) about these things.

The only reason I knew was because I was super fascinated by maps even I was that age and used to draw/sketch maps of the boroughs (and then long island when we moved there the following here) back when I was 8-9 years old.

Same I always loved geography. My goal since young was to move off an island and onto the continent for better luck during winter storms. Unfortunately where I am now is way closer to the city than I had hoped to be at this point in my life.   

• Thanks 1

Same I always loved geography. My goal since young was to move off an island and onto the continent for better luck during winter storms. Unfortunately where I am now is way closer to the city than I had hoped to be at this point in my life.   

Ironically enough you might be better off on an island for more frequent bigger snowstorms.  Try Nova Scotia....I know it's Canada but that place is awesome for both snowstorms/blizzards and tropical systems too.  I went to Halifax once, it's a really pretty city.  It's on a peninsula but it's much more island-like than continent-like because a peninsula has water on three sides, so it's three quarters of the way to being an island lol. Labrador is actually an island and might be even better because its further NE but I can't stand NFLD for various reasons (most of them political and environmental.)

4 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Ironically enough you might be better off on an island for more frequent bigger snowstorms.  Try Nova Scotia....I know it's Canada but that place is awesome for both snowstorms/blizzards and tropical systems too.  I went to Halifax once, it's a really pretty city.

Yea maybe but i'd rather have snow that lasts all winter than have occasional blizzards and then not much else. I would say I can't tell if its biased off the last 10 years but I didn't realize how much better Long Island especially north shore is for snow than the 5 boroughs. If I don't end up in Orange County at some point, I might consider moving to LI, the sea breeze in the summer and cooler nights would be nice too, although can also get cooler summer nights not that far north of the city.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Then those people are morons. No offense.

That societal statement aside, I always hated that NYC and its residents are so detached from the water around them. Perhaps its greatest asset and so little access 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

You know the other thing I always had trouble with?  Convincing people that Australia actually was bigger than Greenland.  That damn Mercator Projection!  I always preferred globes to flat maps even back then.

I remember this back in 3rd grade too-- people simply wouldn't believe me when I told them Greenland was smaller than South America and Australia....I actually didn't know what the Mercator Projection was until the following year, but I did notice the lines of latitude stretched out the farther north you went and I used that to figure out that Greenland was no way anywhere near as big as either of those continents.

The other thing I clearly remember was that people didn't believe me when I told them that that little hook part at the extreme north point of Minnesota (near Lake of the Woods) was the northernmost point in the 48 states.....noooo, they said, Maine is further north, see, it's higher up!  Nevermind the fact that latitude lines are curved and clearly show northern Maine isn't as north as northernmost Minnesota is.

1 minute ago, the_other_guy said:

Then those people are morons. No offense.

That societal statement aside, I always hated that NYC and its residents are so detached from the water around them. Perhaps its greatest asset and so little access 

Yeah I dont get it either-- they either dont travel between boroughs or it doesn't click with them that all those bridges and tunnels they need to use to get off of Manhattan means they are on an island LOL

Yea maybe but i'd rather have snow that lasts all winter than have occasional blizzards and then not much else. I would say I can't tell if its biased off the last 10 years but I didn't realize how much better Long Island especially north shore is for snow than the 5 boroughs. If I don't end up in Orange County at some point, I might consider moving to LI, the sea breeze in the summer and cooler nights would be nice too, although can also get cooler summer nights not that far north of the city.  

We welcome everyone in Orange County and you stated our case beautifully. I’ve had only 22 inches of snow this winter so far, which is below normal, yet I’ve had a solid snow cover for 33 straight days and counting. That may end by Friday or Saturday but still a decent run. 

And we still do well on most coastals. Just need inside the benchmark in most cases to jackpot, instead of on or outside it. 

• Like 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_coastal_plain#/media/File:Atlantic_Coastal_Plain.svg

Based on that non of the subforum is actually the coast except Jersey Shore and LI but for meteorological purposes I find it hard to say that doesn't extend a bit further NW and also further up the coast to Boston and Maine.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Having a place in the Poconos i agree with you there is absolutely nothing as peaceful or as beautiful as getting a little bit of light snow every day for days and then having that snowcover stick around for an entire winter.  I had a 5 day flurrystorm one week while NYC had just dry and cold windy weather....they were lake effect streamers that got enhanced by the Poconos elevation and became a real snowstorm in the mountains where my house is at 2200 ft.  It would die down every night but pick back up during the day-- my perfect combo.

You know that year we had snow in May?  Well at my house (and I'm nowhere near as north as you are, I'm at the latitude of the Bronx)....we had an accumulating snowstorm Friday night and then snow squalls all day Saturday with wind chills below 0 and the snow actually stuck, with visibility near 0....and then the following Monday we had a severe thunderstorm with hail that I could see accumulate on my pool cover!  What a 4 day period that was!  The best of both seasons right there.

Just now, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

We welcome everyone in Orange County and you stated our case beautifully. I’ve had only 22 inches of snow this winter so far, which is below normal, yet I’ve had a solid snow cover for 33 straight days and counting. That may end by Friday or Saturday but still a decent run. 

And we still do well on most coastals. Just need inside the benchmark in most cases to jackpot, instead of on or outside it. 

I hope I made a good case for the Poconos too in my above post.

Just now, LibertyBell said:

Having a place in the Poconos i agree with you there is absolutely nothing as peaceful or as beautiful as getting a little bit of light snow every day for days and then having that snowcover stick around for an entire winter.  I had a 5 day flurrystorm one week while NYC had just dry and cold windy weather....they were lake effect streamers that got enhanced by the Poconos elevation and became a real snowstorm in the mountains where my house is at 2200 ft.  It would die down every night but pick back up during the day-- my perfect combo.

You know that year we had snow in May?  Well at my house (and I'm nowhere near as north as you are, I'm at the latitude of the Bronx)....we had an accumulating snowstorm Friday night and then snow squalls all day Saturday with wind chills below 0 and the snow actually stuck, with visibility near 0....and then the following Monday we had a severe thunderstorm with hail that I could see accumulate on my pool cover!  What a 4 day period that was!  The best of both seasons right there.

Im barely past the bronx lol. I consider myself NYC although this forum seems to consider lower Westchester a different world. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_coastal_plain#/media/File:Atlantic_Coastal_Plain.svg

Based on that non of the subforum is actually the coast except Jersey Shore and LI but for meteorological purposes I find it hard to say that doesn't extend a bit further NW and also further up the coast to Boston and Maine.  

Either way I hope they include Brooklyn and Queens as part of long island lol