Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Western PA/Pittsburgh Winter 2021/22 Discussion

meatwad

Just now, Rd9108 said:

From a PA met on USAwx forum

I'm assuming this is overdone, but the potential for warming aloft is definitely there.

Data assimilation will be key since a couple degrees difference will be extremely important here for any kind of mid level warm layer. 

We all know how this ends. We’ve watched this movie many, many times.

6 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Yeah still a decent thump but man would that be a sloppy storm. The mid levels warm a lot and screw over basically all of PA. Is this the NAM being the NAM or is it on to something...

Probably the NAM over doing mid level warmth. NAM clearly has that dual low structure and that's only going to exacerbate funneling warm air in if it hangs on to long. Either way, I wouldn't put much weight on that being its 60+ hours on the NAM. Half the time I think it shouldn't really even run past 24hrs.

3 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

That’s the other thing that’s a bit wonky about that run. The dry slot encompasses most of WV at hour 63, then is completely filled in on the next panel?

Yep. I think that this is an insanely complicated storm. Multiple centers at different levels that are all fluid in their reactions to each other. I think the model have done incredible when finding the general placement of the storm, but have really struggled to figure out the temp profile and timing of transfer

26 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Ok, lll say it. We are going to get screwed in some way. It just sucks that for the MA to get huge storms they don’t seem to need to have an absolutely ideal set up like we do.

Stop your negativity you're giving bad ju ju to the storm 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

GFS looks fine. 12-15” city and points North and West. More mixing south and east, but still warning snows there too before any crap. That 119 corridor looks most susceptible. 

Seems to extend the backend a little too. A post storm snow globe day Monday would hit the spot. 

GFS / Euro  are still the way go to until tomorrow 12z,after that we are getting into 24-36 hours of onset so short range models start to gain skill. To much anxiety started brewing from looking at short term models at the end of the runs. Not to say they don't sometimes sniff something out, but until agreement with other guidance no reason to get down on this storm.

Definitely looks like light snow on and off Monday. Should get a good flow off the lakes + wrap around + NWS mentioned of a secondary trough moving through should = that post storm snow globe look.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mailman said:

Can't say I hold a lot of faith in the CMC; however, it has been consistent with those big totals. 12z might be the biggest yet.

I'm with you on that lol, but it's not the lousy model it used to be. It's had several upgrades and does pretty well on scoring at least at 500mb. The reason it looks so good the dryslot issues stay well south and east and it hammers us in the deform band the GFS and Euro have further NW. So from that perspective it probably represents our high bar if everything works out perfectly.

• Like 3