Total Members
    Most Online
    Mikessword
    Newest Member
    Mikessword
July Banter 2021

George BM

Wadia makes some nice gear.

Apple is doing loseless now, have not compared to TIDAL master but they should be similar.

Of course so many will play through bluetooth and rave over the improved sound! :D

I have some relic CD players from the 80s.  A Denon 3520 which uses a 20bit Burr Brown DAC and sounded great.  The drawer stopped working in the late 90s and I found the belt inside broken.  It's a round part and was given a tip by a tech to dissect a condom to fix it and it worked!  Hilarious.  It stopped working a few years later again.  My Technics SL-P1300 top load (DJ) deck still works to this day.  Most of the stuff I was getting was on ADAT and RDAT.  Still have a trunk full of RDAT tapes which were recorded at 48KHz.  One day I will go through those.  I remember recording an awesome nocturnal storm that woke me up at 4AM and using that gentle rolling thunder and rain in a soundtrack.  It was back in 1991.  Used a portable Sony TCD-D3 DAT which was a nice machine for its time.

1 minute ago, Stormfly said:

Wadia makes some nice gear.

Apple is doing loseless now, have not compared to TIDAL master but they should be similar.

Of course so many will play through bluetooth and rave over the improved sound! :D

I have some relic CD players from the 80s.  A Denon 3520 which uses a 20bit Burr Brown DAC and sounded great.  The drawer stopped working in the late 90s and I found the belt inside broken.  It's a round part and was given a tip by a tech to dissect a condom to fix it and it worked!  Hilarious.  It stopped working a few years later again.  My Technics SL-P1300 top load (DJ) deck still works to this day.  Most of the stuff I was getting was on ADAT and RDAT.  Still have a trunk full of RDAT tapes which were recorded at 48KHz.  One day I will go through those.  I remember recording an awesome nocturnal storm that woke me up at 4AM and using that gentle rolling thunder and rain in a soundtrack.  It was back in 1991.  Used a portable Sony TCD-D3 DAT which was a nice machine for its time.

I've had a couple Denon CD players over the years. Pretty decent equipment for the money. My Monarchy DAC has piggy backed 20-bit Burr Brown chips. Really clean sound. Supposedly more analog-ish sounding.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I've had a couple Denon CD players over the years. Pretty decent equipment for the money. My Monarchy DAC has piggy backed 20-bit Burr Brown chips. Really clean sound. Supposedly more analog-ish sounding.

Yep definitely smoother on recordings with low surface noise.

• Like 1

Just now, Stormfly said:

Yep definitely smoother on recordings with low surface noise.

Good equipment is completely unforgiving of a compressed or otherwise crap source. It reveals all the flaws, as it should. I can't enjoy a good amount of rock music on my system.

• Like 1

Yep, my Ultimate Ear UE10 pros which I've had since 2005 certainly have revealed so much, MP3, satellite radio, just about anything streaming, ESPECIALLY video streams is painful like sitting down butt naked on a huge pine cone.  (don't ask!) :D

There's a lot of good stuff that was captured and mastered properly, not always the most popular stuff.  I just learn to keep my mouth shut because I mention it sounds like crap because of compression and 99% of the time I hear, "I know it's Amazon Prime"  or whatever.

I have to admit with heavy DSP it's pretty amazing the frequency response and resolution of a portable bt speaker.  Up to a POINT!  Most people crank them up so the automatic gain controls kick in to prevent amp over-driving into hard clipping and while it may not be harsh sounding as square waves going into drivers it's so compressed it might as well be that pine cone...

One thing that chaps my hind parts as much as going to bed on 6-8 forecast and waking up to partly cloudy is someone cranking up a TV with its tiny speaker rattling and a commercial comes on and it tries its best to get even louder!

Since there was electronics brought up, I have a JBL S120PII powered subwoofer that the on off switch broke on and it’s stuck in the off position. For the life of me I have googled the part number associated with the manual but cannot find a replacement toggle switch for it. It is a three position toggle switch and I was gonna solder a new one on but no luck.  I tried to upload a picture but the file is too big. If anyone knows of a good spot to get spare electronic switches in the area id appreciate the recommendation, tried all the big box and name brand stores. Or a decent spot to get electronics fixed would work too, I live in the Hampstead area.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
On 7/31/2021 at 8:49 AM, SnowenOutThere said:

Got a record that I have been off by 0.3ish all season long free (50meters)(record 26.94)(my swim 26.49ish), oh thank goodness. My teammate has been right next times wise and it sucks he could not get it as well.

Congrats to you...but kindly stay away from MY KID'S All Stars records, please.  :D 

On 7/29/2021 at 7:22 PM, Stormfly said:

The big issue isn't just the volume but the amount of dynamic range compression that's applied to the musical track.  Annoying AF!  In a theater environment I'm fine with 120dB of dynamic range from a whisper to the crack of a gunshot but for the sake of Thor PLEASE lower the volume of the damn music!  Music should be audible in the BACKGROUND.  It's gotten so bad lately it's not funny.

Speaking of MUSIC, the loudness war is destroying the sound in modern mixes.  The best way to explain this in English is in this video here:

Sorry just saw this. Wow what a great explanation. 

• Like 1