Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Summer 2021

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

18.43.  7.71 on Sept 7th. 

That is my birthday - wife and I went out for dinner that evening and didn't make it home until the next evening. We spent the night at a motel near Mt. Joy, every route to our home was closed due to floodwaters. I couldn't get to work the following day either. I'll never forget that tongue of reds and oranges on radar that was oriented N/S from northern VA up through eastern PA. It sat over the Susquehanna river valley and just dumped for hours on end. 

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

That is my birthday - wife and I went out for dinner that evening and didn't make it home until the next evening. We spent the night at a motel near Mt. Joy, every route to our home was closed due to floodwaters. I couldn't get to work the following day either. I'll never forget that tongue of reds and oranges on radar that was oriented N/S from northern VA up through eastern PA. It sat over the Susquehanna river valley and just dumped for hours on end. 

It was training time.  Better to wait it out then try to bulldog through and end up needed a helicopter rescue. 

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

16 days at or above 90 in August of 1995.  No reason to do play by play of the models that year.  This board would have been down for the count. 

I believe we had 15 here. Also, August 1995 is Pittsburgh’s hottest month on record since the airport became the official site, and the only month besides July 2020 in the top 10 including the pre-KPIT data. That’s also the last year we hit 100, though that occurred in July.

7 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

So the Mount Joy rain shadow saved your life?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

So the Mount Joy rain shadow saved your life?

Funny thing about that night...I tried EVERY possible route that I could think of. One of those was going out 23 to Marietta. I knew if I made it to 441, I'd get home from there. But that creek (Little Chickies) was the denied access on quite a few roads, 23 included. 

• Like 1

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

Tropical Storm Lee, my occupation, and my love for trains is what gave birth to my screen name. I learned all about training storms during that event. 

One of these days you are going to have a Training event planned beside a railroad track while a tropical storm throw's bands over your location...and you are going to implode with things to consider.  :-)

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

There is plenty more coming out of Cumberland.   NWS Zones should automatically add 20% to all other forecasts for southern Dauphin county. 

We’re interested in the rain chances at the new official location in extreme northern Dauphin County.

20 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

All of them have a trough over or close to New England.  A bit rocky on agreement out west but close. 

Compared to the out of sync stuff we usually get, it’s pretty solid. That said, I think I’m actually rooting for the Euro, it provides the best break in the humidity and an actual truly cool morning.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Compared to the out of sync stuff we usually get, it’s pretty solid. That said, I think I’m actually rooting for the Euro, it provides the best break in the humidity and an actual truly cool morning.

Every two weeks or so we seem to root for the Euro.  My current qpf slanted view is having a bit harder time with it.    The complete lack of anything representing a near US tropical discussable event into August is something as well.   The entire Atlantic Basin is devoid and ridge dominated (pretty typical this time of the year) and the Hispaniola area is a no.