• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Summer 2021

11 hours ago, TimB84 said:

On the bright side, it’s almost July, which means it’s almost almost August, which means it’s almost almost almost September. My Pirates and @Itstrainingtime’s Orioles won’t be playing any meaningful games in those months, but Dwayne Haskins will win the starting nod in the meantime and begin the Steelers’ journey to a 7th Super Bowl.

Well the 0Z Euro and CMC were No Bueno for anyone except punishing heatwave fans.   Sets up a punt for July 4th weekend as well. 

41 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Well the 0Z Euro and CMC were No Bueno for anyone except punishing heatwave fans.   Sets up a punt for July 4th weekend as well. 

Hoping there’s still another chance for the models to back off. There’s a 94 on the Euro here, which I know translates to being even a couple degrees warmer than that if it’s 94 at 18z. Milestones like 95 and 100 are a rarer commodity out here than they are at MDT.

3 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Hoping there’s still another chance for the models to back off. There’s a 94 on the Euro here, which I know translates to being even a couple degrees warmer than that if it’s 94 at 18z. Milestones like 95 and 100 are a rarer commodity out here than they are at MDT.

Yea, the Euro verbatim is probably triple digits here and upper 90's out your way. The last few days of models run it was initially hinting at this then backed off in a big way but has now gravitated back.  That front clearing mid week was best case and now it never fully clears on the shorter term CMC and Euro.  That ridge is trying to be the big boss. 

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

Yea, the Euro verbatim is probably triple digits here and upper 90's out your way. The last few days of models run it was initially hinting at this then backed off in a big way but has now gravitated back.  That front clearing mid week was best case and now it never fully clears on the shorter term CMC and Euro.  That ridge is trying to be the big boss. 

RE: excessive heat here - 2012 is the only year since 1995 that we’ve even gotten as high as 97 at PIT.

The bigger problem is if the front can’t decisively knock down the ridge, then our only two other options are a wet holiday weekend or an oppressively hot holiday weekend.

12 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

RE: excessive heat here - 2012 is the only year since 1995 that we’ve even gotten as high as 97 at PIT.

The bigger problem is if the front can’t decisively knock down the ridge, then our only two other options are a wet holiday weekend or an oppressively hot holiday weekend.

Yep, I see 3 big issues for us here.  The two you mentioned (the the wet would be wet and muggy/warm) or if option two, good bye yards for those of us trying to grow them or grow them back from last years drought. 

That is fairly amazing that you guys have only hit 97 once in 9-10 years.  During the winter we could be in the 30's and 40's over here and you guy's are out on the deck basking in 70's (when a system goes up to our west).  Does not translate to the summer though. 

11 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yep, I see 3 big issues for us here.  The two you mentioned (the the wet would be wet and muggy/warm) or if option two, good bye yards for those of us trying to grow them or grow them back from last years drought. 

That is fairly amazing that you guys have only hit 97 once in 9-10 years.  During the winter we could be in the 30's and 40's over here and you guy's are out on the deck basking in 70's (when a system goes up to our west).  Does not translate to the summer though. 

Well technically we hit 98 once in 2012 and 97 on 3 other days in 2012, but again that’s the only year out of the past 25 where we got that hot (on the flip side, we’ve had 4 years in that time period including two in a row that never got to 90). That’s after 3 years in a row from 1993-1995 that all got to at least 97 here. It’s incredible how little of the truly ridiculous summer heat we’ve gotten in recent times.

”We” meaning Pittsburgh. I didn’t live in PA at the time, so I’m only going off of data here.

24 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

50 for the low, 8 degrees warmer than yesterday morning. Yesterday's high was 81.

IAD/Dulles had the same low.  Funny how these inversion/trapped pools of cool air situations can make southern locales as cool or cooler.   That was pretty warm for you yesterday.  We only made it to 71. 

29 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

for next week?

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

Yea, for several days unfortunately.  18Z temps at MDT low 90's Mon and Tue and Mid 90's Wed-Fri.  Heat Island/Several hours more of heating put triple digits as a distinct possibility mid and late week.   Just one run being discussed

Big disclaimer there. It’s the high end of potential guidance for sure, and not yet fully a trend.

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yea, for several days unfortunately.  18Z temps at MDT are low 90's Mon and Tue and Mid 90's Wed-Fri.  Heat Island/Several hours more of heating put triple digits as a distinct possibility mid and late week.   Just one run being discussed. 

Just now, TimB84 said:

Big disclaimer there. It’s the high end of potential guidance for sure, and not yet fully a trend.

interesting, thanks.

i believe we strung a couple 90s together last year over the 4th as well 

13 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Not as bad as you guys, it looks like MDT didn’t have an 8 day 90 streak, but there were 13 days there last July that were as hot or hotter than the 94 we reached.

Correct, topping out at 100 on the 19th.  To answer Sauss's inquiry, we went 93-97-94-96-97 from July 2-6 last year at MDT.  On the final day of that heat wave I had a T'storm that dropped 1/2" in ten minutes.  Last year set the record for hottest July ever at Harrisburg (avg. temp of 82.2, breaking the 81.8 from 1999), including a record 22 days above 90.  Lancaster was also the hottest July on record.

Edit: Also the temp never got below 67 for the entire month.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Correct, topping out at 100 on the 19th.  To answer Sauss's inquiry, we went 93-97-94-96-97 from July 2-6 last year at MDT.  On the final day of that heat wave I had a T'storm that dropped 1/2" in ten minutes.  Last year set the record for hottest July ever at Harrisburg (avg. temp of 82.2, breaking the 81.8 from 1999), including a record 22 days above 90.  Lancaster was also the hottest July on record.

Edit: Also the temp never got below 67 for the entire month.

Thanks for the reminder of how miserable last July was. Hopefully this July will allow me to forget. (And not in the way that they say you lose thinking capacity when it’s hot out.)