Total Members
    Most Online
    alexmiller
    Newest Member
    alexmiller

April Discobs 2021

White caps on the Potomac 

• Like 4

Like I said earlier I think that might of been the one time a severe thunderstorm warning verified though very little damage around the neighborhood despite the 60mph + wind gusts(eyeballing the trees) which is fortunate.  

Pretty the same obs out this way. Large tree down on our back road. Sirens in the distance a few minutes ago and no power.

I wasn't home for the wind line but my wife said it was pretty intense.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Only LWX can verify a STW without a thunderstorm.  Never had anything less than partly cloudy skies, but definitely low end verification severe thunderstorm damage.  Large limbs down, power out for about 5 min.

• Like 4

Wow everyone is getting the action to our south and west.

There's a weird noise though almost like the wind should be 50 sustained.  Perhaps it's just above the trees.  Seen that happen in thunderstorms before.

1 minute ago, Eskimo Joe said:

M58 wind gust @ US Capitol. 

Just saw that. Glen Burnie too. 

Happy severe season! :lol:

2 minutes ago, southmdwatcher said:

That second surge coming southeast from the Blue Ridge looks real as well.

I am in Purcellville, and right now, we are the least windy we have been in a long while.. Will let all know if the second line brings it all back.

Turning into a miserable evening, moderate rain, windy, at the low for the day (55.9 and falling fast, was 72 2 hours ago).  On the plus side found a bottle of port that I missed from winter, might need to crack that open, maybe start a fire....Blue is temp.

98775F6E-1BE3-450F-9BE6-89FA620201A1.jpeg

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Wind sucks. Too bad we do it so well.

Why do we do wind so well around here?  We rarely ever had this type of wind in michigan and it seems like it's always friggin windy around here.  I hate it.  

• Like 1

The big gust that came through about 4:15 was impressive.  Lost a large tree limb from a giant poplar in our back yard.  Neighbors large pine across Lawyers Road from our driveway was uprooted with entire root ball in the air.  The pine raked the power lines on our side of the road as it came down narrowly missing someone driving by on Lawyers.  Was a 100+ foot pine about 36" across at the base (lots of potential energy released with the impact when it hit the road).  Lawyers Rd was closed for about 2 hours as the neighbors helped me cut it up into chunks my Kubota could drag to the side to open the road again.  Biggest problem was all the drivers who were determined to drive by despite the police having closed the road.  Some even drove on the sidewalk along Lawyers Road as an attempt to get by.  

I've been complaining with some others on the gardening forum about huge maple trees in our yard with billions of spinners loaded in their arsenals.  Well the wind has stripped them of the spinners in a day and even swept our deck clean.  Free of charge.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Seems like the wind has really died down.

Downgraded to advisory until 0200 Sat for us.

Not even sure why it wasn't canceled altogether.  Here we didn't even have advisory criteria winds.  Spent today sharpening chains, can't work in "high wind warning".  Cut some ash cookies with the 661, she's wicked sharp now!

It's funny this area busts even on weather we really DON'T want.  Oh well, sunny with 75F dewpoints here we come. :|

30 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

Downgraded to advisory until 0200 Sat for us.

Not even sure why it wasn't canceled altogether.  Here we didn't even have advisory criteria winds.  Spent today sharpening chains, can't work in "high wind warning".  Cut some ash cookies with the 661, she's wicked sharp now!

It's funny this area busts even on weather we really DON'T want.  Oh well, sunny with 75F dewpoints here we come. :|

Yeah HWW have rarely verified in our area with the exception of what two years ago!? 

6 minutes ago, jewell2188 said:

Yeah HWW have rarely verified in our area with the exception of what two years ago!? 

Trust me, it's verified.