Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    16,926
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Yb24
    Newest Member
    Yb24
    Joined

2021 Golf Thread


RUNNAWAYICEBERG
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Almost pulled off a hole in one this evening.  140 yard 8-iron.  The guys on the next tee box said it looked to lip out, slight change of direction passing the cup.

Looked dead on like it was going in from the tee.

32EF0EA3-F1FA-427D-933C-2C50B81EDD84.jpeg.7c7dcd69a94cf90816238e0fed6f8ee6.jpeg

Nice. I’ve had one in my life. It was a crappy, skulled shot that if it hadn’t hit the pin and dropped straight down, would’ve gone 30 yards over the green.  I didn’t even see it go in because the green is raised and you can’t see the surface from the tee. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Nice. I’ve had one in my life. It was a crappy, skulled shot that if it hadn’t hit the pin and dropped straight down, would’ve gone 30 yards over the green.  I didn’t even see it go in because the green is raised and you can’t see the surface from the tee. 

Yeah that sounds about how I would get one, ha.  This was the rare great ball strike that felt so good.  Maybe next time, ha.  Played even par through 7 holes (2 birdies, 2 bogeys) but ended up finishing the 9 holes at +3 due to finishing double bogey then bogey.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, powderfreak said:

Yeah that sounds about how I would get one, ha.  This was the rare great ball strike that felt so good.  Maybe next time, ha.  Played even par through 7 holes (2 birdies, 2 bogeys) but ended up finishing the 9 holes at +3 due to finishing double bogey then bogey.  

Breaking 40 is always nice. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Doesn’t happen often for me.  40-45 is usually where I fall on 9.  Gotta get out with our mutual friend Mr Maxwell.

I’m generally in that 40-45 range too but usually at the home course where I know where I can miss lol. I saw Dave at Northfield the other day. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Almost pulled off a hole in one this evening.  140 yard 8-iron.  The guys on the next tee box said it looked to lip out, slight change of direction passing the cup.

Looked dead on like it was going in from the tee.

32EF0EA3-F1FA-427D-933C-2C50B81EDD84.jpeg.7c7dcd69a94cf90816238e0fed6f8ee6.jpeg

Damn, so close, that would have cost you some money if the clubhouse was full. I'd gladly dish out $200-300 in drinks for a hole in one.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Damn, so close, that would have cost you some money if the clubhouse was full. I'd gladly dish out $200-300 in drinks for a hole in one.

The club I just joined does hole-in-one insurance. Every member who plays a round is charged $15. It all goes into a pot and if there is an ace everyone at the club is notified they are eligible for a free drink with money taken out of the pot. Once it dips below $500 they'll charge you $15 again when you play a round.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

The club I just joined does hole-in-one insurance. Every member who plays a round is charged $15. It all goes into a pot and if there is an ace everyone at the club is notified they are eligible for a free drink with money taken out of the pot. Once it dips below $500 they'll charge you $15 again when you play a round.

We always charged $2 and the member got the money. Some cheap sob’s skanked out. At one time, the club insurance policy had hole in one coverage. $3000 per year. We would award people $300 in pro shop credit if made during regular play and $500 if made during a tournament. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah that sounds about how I would get one, ha.  This was the rare great ball strike that felt so good.  Maybe next time, ha.  Played even par through 7 holes (2 birdies, 2 bogeys) but ended up finishing the 9 holes at +3 due to finishing double bogey then bogey.  

Those rare solid ball strikes feel amazing, you know its a great shot just by the feel.  But breaking 40 is a great feeling in a 9.   Finished a back 9 with a 39 for my best ever 86 this summer

 

Approach shots for me are hit or miss.  Ill probably fat, thin, or shank maybe 2-3 a round that completely screws up a chance of par.   I usually give myself a chance to scramble for par, but realistically one putts are a rarity, unless I can chip it real close.

 

Those stupid triple putts usually only get me after a GIR:fulltilt:.  But got absolutely no problem draining a 30footer for triple bogey:D

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Damn, so close, that would have cost you some money if the clubhouse was full. I'd gladly dish out $200-300 in drinks for a hole in one.

I saw an Instagram story of a friend I ski with in the winter here, and he just had his 12th hole-in-one!  I had to ask and confirm and he goes yup, kinda crazy but yes 12 legit holes in one.

That blows my mind.  Even as a near scratch golfer that seems absurd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, nyrangers1022 said:

Those rare solid ball strikes feel amazing, you know its a great shot just by the feel.  But breaking 40 is a great feeling in a 9.   Finished a back 9 with a 39 for my best ever 86 this summer

 

Approach shots for me are hit or miss.  Ill probably fat, thin, or shank maybe 2-3 a round that completely screws up a chance of par.   I usually give myself a chance to scramble for par, but realistically one putts are a rarity, unless I can chip it real close.

 

Those stupid triple putts usually only get me after a GIR:fulltilt:.  But got absolutely no problem draining a 30footer for triple bogey:D

Yeah triple putting is right up my ally.  The putts are my biggest problem.  I feel like playing occasionally I can keep the driving and ball striking from irons ok, but short game “feel” just isn’t there.

My worst shots are pretty much anything like 30-125 yards.  Basically I’m good with full swing pitching wedges and irons… but as soon as the distance gets under a full pitching wedge I’m very prone to chunking it or skulling it.  That half swing like 70 yard shot is my demon.  Sometimes I’ll feel brave and try a full 60 degree wedge but that’s even lower probability of hitting cleanly… that’s almost a certain rocket skull 40 yards over the green :lol:.

But those feel shots under like 120 yards, and especially like 40-80 yards, is a problem.  Divots the size of beaver pelts from those while the ball goes 20 yards.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah triple putting is right up my ally.  The putts are my biggest problem.  I feel like playing occasionally I can keep the driving and ball striking from irons ok, but short game “feel” just isn’t there.

My worst shots are pretty much anything like 30-125 yards.  Basically I’m good with full swing pitching wedges and irons… but as soon as the distance gets under a full pitching wedge I’m very prone to chunking it or skulling it.  That half swing like 70 yard shot is my demon.  Sometimes I’ll feel brave and try a full 60 degree wedge but that’s even lower probability of hitting cleanly… that’s almost a certain rocket skull 40 yards over the green :lol:.

But those feel shots under like 120 yards, and especially like 40-80 yards, is a problem.  Divots the size of beaver pelts from those while the ball goes 20 yards.

my range of death was 40-90 yards.   I use Cobra one lengths, so my gap wedge is 49 degrees at 37.5 inches long.   A full swing sends it to the moon and straight down for about 100 yards

 

I carry a 52* and 56* in standard lengths, but do not do full back swings because those skull into the back trees too lmao.  I been doing 3/4 back swings or less and accelerating fast through the ball, which have been covering those shots under 100 yards.    Not saying I'm pin hunting with these.  But gets on the green more often than not.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah triple putting is right up my ally.  The putts are my biggest problem.  I feel like playing occasionally I can keep the driving and ball striking from irons ok, but short game “feel” just isn’t there.

My worst shots are pretty much anything like 30-125 yards.  Basically I’m good with full swing pitching wedges and irons… but as soon as the distance gets under a full pitching wedge I’m very prone to chunking it or skulling it.  That half swing like 70 yard shot is my demon.  Sometimes I’ll feel brave and try a full 60 degree wedge but that’s even lower probability of hitting cleanly… that’s almost a certain rocket skull 40 yards over the green :lol:.

But those feel shots under like 120 yards, and especially like 40-80 yards, is a problem.  Divots the size of beaver pelts from those while the ball goes 20 yards.

Partial wedges have been my greatest frustration the last several years. 

I carry a PW, 52, 56, and 60 for carry distances of about 135, 120, 110, and 100 yards. My most common approach distance? Probably 85 yards :lol:

I need an extended series of range sessions where I just try and hit half wedges to various distances. Because if I even hit the green from 60 yards it's a victory, never mind getting it close.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah triple putting is right up my ally.  The putts are my biggest problem.  I feel like playing occasionally I can keep the driving and ball striking from irons ok, but short game “feel” just isn’t there.

My worst shots are pretty much anything like 30-125 yards.  Basically I’m good with full swing pitching wedges and irons… but as soon as the distance gets under a full pitching wedge I’m very prone to chunking it or skulling it.  That half swing like 70 yard shot is my demon.  Sometimes I’ll feel brave and try a full 60 degree wedge but that’s even lower probability of hitting cleanly… that’s almost a certain rocket skull 40 yards over the green :lol:.

But those feel shots under like 120 yards, and especially like 40-80 yards, is a problem.  Divots the size of beaver pelts from those while the ball goes 20 yards.

 

29 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Partial wedges have been my greatest frustration the last several years. 

I carry a PW, 52, 56, and 60 for carry distances of about 135, 120, 110, and 100 yards. My most common approach distance? Probably 85 yards :lol:

I need an extended series of range sessions where I just try and hit half wedges to various distances. Because if I even hit the green from 60 yards it's a victory, never mind getting it close.

Can you chip around the greens? If so, take your wedges to the range and start by hitting 15 ft chips to get the feeling. Then slowly but surely with that same “chipping motion/feeling” increase swing length and speed. 
For the most part that’s how I hit my wedges (unless I need to go under/over something). Open up front foot and hip and make a big chipping swing.

This is also my mid-round go to if I am struggling with my irons. Nice rhythmic chipping swing. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

 

Can you chip around the greens? If so, take your wedges to the range and start by hitting 15 ft chips to get the feeling. Then slowly but surely with that same “chipping motion/feeling” increase swing length and speed. 
For the most part that’s how I hit my wedges (unless I need to go under/over something). Open up front foot and hip and make a big chipping swing.

This is also my mid-round go to if I am struggling with my irons. Nice rhythmic chipping swing. 

This is what I'm most excited for at my new club. They have a huge chipping area and a grass driving range.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

This is what I'm most excited for at my new club. They have a huge chipping area and a grass driving range.

I think I’m joining a new club too. They have a range and usually a chipping area too. They rebuilt the 18th green this year so they’re using the chipping green as a temporary green. Hopefully I take advantage of the practice opportunity. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The US is putting a crushing on Europe. Like a playoff series though, it’s not a real series until you can win on their turf. The thing that really struck me though is the age difference. Europe still relying on Sergio/Poulter/Westwood and one of their rookies is 34 year old Shane Lowery. Meanwhile the US has a lot of young guys who look comfortable in this setting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shot my personal best yesterday, 80 on par 72.   Six strokes better than previous best.   Double bogeyed 17 after tee shot found a mulch bed with little trees and bushes, giving me no shot to advance the ball except sideways back into the fairway.   Missed green to the right from 140 yards.  Ended in thick rough and a low spot in ground.   Bad chip and two putted.   Missed a 15 foot birdie putt on par 5 18 and got the par.   Not disappointed that I missed breaking 80, that's being greedy being I never broke 85 before

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/24/2021 at 10:34 PM, S&P said:

Watching on DVR now, see if can hold the lead, home crowd fans always obnoxious for this, especially with no euro fans because of COVID travel limitations 

My sister and brother in law are there today.  The videos they have been sending are epic.  The crowd is bonkers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, mreaves said:

The US is putting a crushing on Europe. Like a playoff series though, it’s not a real series until you can win on their turf. The thing that really struck me though is the age difference. Europe still relying on Sergio/Poulter/Westwood and one of their rookies is 34 year old Shane Lowery. Meanwhile the US has a lot of young guys who look comfortable in this setting. 

Yea, on paper, the US looks really potent for the next few Ryder cups because of their age.  Like was mentioned in the broadcast a few times, Ryder Cup is built into European players DNA, so we'll see what happens in 2 years over there after this smashing the US put on them.

Ryder Cup is one of my favorite sports events to watch--especially when it's close. Although this was fun too..lol.

...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Yea, on paper, the US looks really potent for the next few Ryder cups because of their age.  Like was mentioned in the broadcast a few times, Ryder Cup is built into European players DNA, so we'll see what happens in 2 years over there after this smashing the US put on them.

Ryder Cup is one of my favorite sports events to watch--especially when it's close. Although this was fun too..lol.

...

You could see how much it meant during Rory’s interview, he was crying. I think Stricker was smart with his picks. He could have easily picked Mickelson after he won the PGA. I think it signaled the complete passing of the torch. I liked this team, even Bryson didn’t annoy me as much as usual. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some more thoughts on the Ryder Cup.  I think Stricker did a great job.  It was pretty brave of him not to pick Reed but that guy is polarizing and I always get the feeling he is more concerned with his record than if the Team wins.  He doesn't seem to mesh well with the other guys. 

Europe is looking at a tougher road ahead.  The US team is packed with young guys who could be on the scene for a while.  That doesn't mean it's a lock but we look good going ahead.  Of course I liken Europe to the Patriots, would they trade any part of their dynasty years for a more stable future outlook?  No way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Incredibly frustrating round last night.

First hole: tee shot way right into wrong fairway. Fortunately stuck my wedge over the trees to 8 ft and made birdie.

Second hole: hit tee shot even further right into a pond on adjacent hole. Scrambled to make bogey.

Third hole: thinned tee shot from 135 ten yards long. Flopped over a bunker to 5 feet and missed the putt.

Fourth hole: three putted from 15 feet for bogey. Nearly broke toe by slamming putter head into it.

Fifth hole (difficult par 3): stuck my tee shot to 10 feet (first time hitting green all year) and made the putt.

Sixth hole: topped my fairway bunker shot. Wedged to 15 feet and promptly three putted for bogey.

Seventh hole: birdie putt left 1" short

Either hole: standard par

Ninth hole: standard par

+2 37 with 2 birdies, 3 pars, 4 bogeys and 1 nearly broken toe. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, mreaves said:

Some more thoughts on the Ryder Cup.  I think Stricker did a great job.  It was pretty brave of him not to pick Reed but that guy is polarizing and I always get the feeling he is more concerned with his record than if the Team wins.  He doesn't seem to mesh well with the other guys. 

Europe is looking at a tougher road ahead.  The US team is packed with young guys who could be on the scene for a while.  That doesn't mean it's a lock but we look good going ahead.  Of course I liken Europe to the Patriots, would they trade any part of their dynasty years for a more stable future outlook?  No way.

Not that a comeback was likely, but Scheffler going out and beating the world #1 that soundly, that early, was a nail in the coffin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...