• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2021 Golf Thread

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

In early June I went and did a fitting for the TaylorMade P790s. First set of clubs I ever got fit for, fun experience.

Since I knew what club I wanted, it was all about finding the right shaft. My spin rate was too low for a 7 iron (should run between 6500-7500 ideally) with the first, heavier shaft to we dropped the weight some. Then I started pulling my shots. Finally settled on one that gave me the right combo of higher spin rate, good launch angle, and more of a spread centered on the fairway instead of dead pulls. It was cool to see how much my ball flight changed just by switching out shafts. 

I also averaged 185 carry with the 7 iron, after not playing any golf in nearly a year. These clubs jump.

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

In early June I went and did a fitting for the TaylorMade P790s. First set of clubs I ever got fit for, fun experience.

Since I knew what club I wanted, it was all about finding the right shaft. My spin rate was too low for a 7 iron (should run between 6500-7500 ideally) with the first, heavier shaft to we dropped the weight some. Then I started pulling my shots. Finally settled on one that gave me the right combo of higher spin rate, good launch angle, and more of a spread centered on the fairway instead of dead pulls. It was cool to see how much my ball flight changed just by switching out shafts. 

I also averaged 185 carry with the 7 iron, after not playing any golf in nearly a year. These clubs jump.

Getting fitted makes a big difference. Just think back in the olden days the clubs they used and how well they hit the ball, golf's come a long way.

10 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

That's a seven wood for me :P Of course I'm old. Just ordered some ping g710 irons. Talk about a club that jumps. I've hit my friend's g700  and it's the first club I've ever hit that feels like there's a mechanical advantage .

45 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

You guys just adding fuel to my fire that tour pros aren't that great. They're just in shape, have perfect clubs, and are financed to play golf all day long.

Lol. Have you ever been to a pga event?  Have you ever known anybody who was a local hotshot shooting in the 60’s who then tried to make it on any tour?  I’ve known a couple of guys that have come back with their tail between their legs. There is a difference between a very good golfer and those who can make it as a touring pro. There are a ton of guys that can shoot 67 but to survive on tour is a different animal. Start with the game and then look at mental toughness.  That was Tiger’s biggest advantage. I was always impressed with the way he would grind to make the cut during weeks when he didn’t have his A game and then somehow end up in the top 10. 

9 hours ago, mreaves said:

Lol. Have you ever been to a pga event?  Have you ever known anybody who was a local hotshot shooting in the 60’s who then tried to make it on any tour?  I’ve known a couple of guys that have come back with their tail between their legs. There is a difference between a very good golfer and those who can make it as a touring pro. There are a ton of guys that can shoot 67 but to survive on tour is a different animal. Start with the game and then look at mental toughness.  That was Tiger’s biggest advantage. I was always impressed with the way he would grind to make the cut during weeks when he didn’t have his A game and then somehow end up in the top 10. 

Yes I've been to a PGA event. The firefighter who played in the Masters and US Open a couple years back is from my hometown. So yes. 

There is a gap between low handicappers and touring pros. But it isn't as big as many think it is is all I'm saying. 

Pro Golfers Are Not THAT Good - Here's Why - Adam Young Golf

Honestly, the biggest difference between touring pros and low handicappers is 1) ability to remove flag from the equation and 2) the greens. 

The PGA tour plays on greens that are massive and for the most part, they can two putt from anywhere. If a touring pro removes the flag and aims 20 ft left, then misses target 30 ft more left....they're still on the green a large percentage of the time. 

The greens that we all play on are barely 30 ft wide. So missing the target = missing the green = bogeys. 

5 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

No. Maybe at some point. I only get to play 2-3 times a month honestly. 

I think it’s probably a bit easier to qualify in VT. I know a few guys who play in it every year. It’s young man’s game though. All of the recent winners and contenders have been around college age.  

6 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Best round of the year for me today. +4 74. If I could putt just a little better would have been close to even.

I was striking the ball well tonight but had two bad holes, mostly pars couple bogeys and two "others", missed two failrly easy birdie putts,  need to play more to get more consistent but weather was beautiful for golf today.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Played my first 18 holes in nearly a year this morning. Pleasantly surprised with an 85. I was grinding out there, very few fairways hit (not far off the short stuff but enough) and very few GIR. 

Nice. Obviously you’ve had time to forget all your bad habits. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not much action in this thread 

haven't played yet this year getting the itch . 

surgery for torn tricep tendon and removing bone spurs in March and got a sports hernia deadlifting at end June. THat plus buying selling homes and moving to Florida . Hoping to play soon once settled .

18 hours ago, S&P said:

surgery for torn tricep tendon and removing bone spurs in March and got a sports hernia deadlifting at end June. THat plus buying selling homes and moving to Florida . Hoping to play soon once settled .

Yikes! I hope you're feeling better.

I finally have my GHIN, so now I'm trying to play as many rounds as possible to see how poor my handicap is.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2021 at 9:33 PM, S&P said:

Plenty of places to play in Florida once you're settled. I have to get a hernia fixed but waiting til after golf season to get it done. Finally playing well, don't want to stop now.

• Like 1

My brother in law invited me down to play his course on Saturday.  Hadn't played 18 since early June, and only two rounds of 9 holes since that.  The course had a lot of tee shots that required a 165-185yd layup, and very small greens where you had to chip to the fringe if you wanted any chance of a 1-putt.  Managed a few pars and a couple 8s because my driver got the yips along the way.

Walked 9 holes this morning.  Sweated my ass off.  Shot a 43 (8 over) with 2 doubles.  It was ok.  I haven't played first thing in the morning yet this year so it was really nice putting on freshly mowed greens.  No spike marks, no unrepaired pitch marks and no areas where people seem to drag their spikes over the green  Smoooooth rolling.

• Like 2

Officially ordered the new TaylorMade P790s. I knew they would instantly backorder, but my fitted shaft and mid size grips are apparently setting them back to Halloween without the grips and Thanksgiving with them.

Not that I'm playing much right now anyway, but it looks like we start fresh in the spring. Somehow convinced my wife to get a social membership at a country club so now I have to play right?

• Like 1

On 7/21/2021 at 7:58 AM, Chrisrotary12 said:

Yes I've been to a PGA event. The firefighter who played in the Masters and US Open a couple years back is from my hometown. So yes. 

There is a gap between low handicappers and touring pros. But it isn't as big as many think it is is all I'm saying. 

Pro Golfers Are Not THAT Good - Here's Why - Adam Young Golf

Honestly, the biggest difference between touring pros and low handicappers is 1) ability to remove flag from the equation and 2) the greens. 

The PGA tour plays on greens that are massive and for the most part, they can two putt from anywhere. If a touring pro removes the flag and aims 20 ft left, then misses target 30 ft more left....they're still on the green a large percentage of the time. 

The greens that we all play on are barely 30 ft wide. So missing the target = missing the green = bogeys. 

The biggest difference is between the ears.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Kind of sleepy in here. Do you have a favorite golf tip?

Here's mine, closer to the ball even if it's uncomfortable. It gets the body moving. You are never going to hit a ball far or straight if you are just swinging with your arms.

I struggle every year with some version of this.  Standing too far away and hitting off the toe and then overcorrecting. Same with ball placement in my stance. I’ll hit on the right combo for periods of time and then I’ll almost imperceptibly change something and spiral backwards. Rinse and repeat. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I struggle every year with some version of this.  Standing too far away and hitting off the toe and then overcorrecting. Same with ball placement in my stance. I’ll hit on the right combo for periods of time and then I’ll almost imperceptibly change something and spiral backwards. Rinse and repeat. 

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

Kind of sleepy in here. Do you have a favorite golf tip?

Here's mine, closer to the ball even if it's uncomfortable. It gets the body moving. You are never going to hit a ball far or straight if you are just swinging with your arms.

This is my favorite type of tip: the easy fix. 

Every swing is different, and trying to get someone to get more upright or come from the inside just may not always work. But stance, grip, ball position - those are easy to change and pretty much universally beneficial.

My biggest light bulb moment was to come up with a routine on the greens. I copied Tiger (because why not?). He had a pretty simple like 15 second routine once he read the putt. Stand next to the ball and take two practice strokes while looking at the hole, address the ball, one more look at the hole, then go. After I started doing that my putting got much better. 

• Like 2

I think it's the commitment level that makes the difference there. Once I start the routine I'm committed and have better outcomes.

My father will change his putting grip as soon as he misses a 5 footer. He'll start the round standard, then switch to left hand low, then claw, etc. It drives me nuts. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

This is my favorite type of tip: the easy fix. 

Every swing is different, and trying to get someone to get more upright or come from the inside just may not always work. But stance, grip, ball position - those are easy to change and pretty much universally beneficial.

My biggest light bulb moment was to come up with a routine on the greens. I copied Tiger (because why not?). He had a pretty simple like 15 second routine once he read the putt. Stand next to the ball and take two practice strokes while looking at the hole, address the ball, one more look at the hole, then go. After I started doing that my putting got much better. 

When I took a lesson the instructor told me pretty much the same thing, have a routine with every shot, I only ever took one lesson but went from having trouble breaking 50 on nine to sometimes breaking 40.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I think it's the commitment level that makes the difference there. Once I start the routine I'm committed and have better outcomes.

My father will change his putting grip as soon as he misses a 5 footer. He'll start the round standard, then switch to left hand low, then claw, etc. It drives me nuts. 

4 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

When I took a lesson the instructor told me pretty much the same thing, have a routine with every shot, I only ever took one lesson but went from having trouble breaking 50 on nine to sometimes breaking 40.

I’ve had instructors tell me the same thing about having a routine and I think it works. But this is where the commitment thing comes in.  I never commit to the routine if something goes wrong.  It’s like the routine is a girlfriend asking for a ring, I run the other way. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, mreaves said:

Good thing it's not frustrating.