Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Ice/Snow threat Friday-Sunday

BullCityWx

1 hour ago, PackGrad05 said:

Still too much uncertainty in the data to jump to high numbers.  They always start on the low end and increase the numbers over time if the data warrants it.

I was going to ask those in the know: does the WPC have a little more leeway stepping out on forecasting events like this compared to the mainstream offices? Seems like the former is not noticed as much by the broader public.

1 minute ago, tarheelwx said:

Very interesting that the NAM shows the wedge retreating around daybreak on Saturday, but then digging back in as the morning wears on.  I"m not sure I've ever seen that.  Maybe the low is transferring to the coast and negating the surge of warm air?

TW

I wonder if it cools back down because we’re no longer having the heat transfer 

Just now, WXNewton said:

Just makes me wonder about Mon/Tuesday storm after watching the trends today. Do we see the same thing happen with that storm as we get closer with the wedge showing up a little stronger each run and pushing deeper to the south? 

Entirely plausible. I’ve seen it happen time and time again.

Just now, BornAgain13 said:

NAM Total ICE thru Saturday.... geez....Screenshot_20210210-214252_Chrome.jpg

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

I’ve lived in ROA since 2011. Is there anything that you can recall or think of that even came close to something like this throughout the decades or years? This is about 60 hours away give or take. We’re not talking 5-6 days out. Pretty crazy to think at an average of 1.30” half would still be .65”. 

3 minutes ago, WXNewton said:

Just makes me wonder about Mon/Tuesday storm after watching the trends today. Do we see the same thing happen with that storm as we get closer with the wedge showing up a little stronger each run and pushing deeper to the south? 

This has been happening for 2 months.  So I'd say it's very possible.

TW

Also saw Brad P. in house model tonight and it had almost all of NC in Freezing rain and dropped temps in HKY to 31. It was definitely interesting and seems like other guidance is not too far off from what he was showing. He also seemed a little more excited about a legit ice threat.

1 minute ago, Buddy1987 said:

I’ve lived in ROA since 2011. Is there anything that you can recall or think of that even came close to something like this throughout the decades or years? This is about 60 hours away give or take. We’re not talking 5-6 days out. Pretty crazy to think at an average of 1.30” half would still be .65”. 

I can't remember any to be honest.  Usually when Roanoke is faced with an icy situation, it's primarily sleet.  Aside from the freezing rain we received in December, it hasn't occurred often in my mind.  Normally Floyd is the place that gets hammered by icy events. 

For that NAM run, Radford seems to be on the fringe.  Out of sheer curiosity, I have an urge to travel to Floyd, Poor Mountain, Bent Mountain, or Rocky mount to see what a true freezing rain event looks like.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tealsnowball said:

I can't remember any to be honest.  Usually when Roanoke is faced with an icy situation, it's primarily sleet.  Aside from the freezing rain we received in December, it hasn't occurred often in my mind.  Normally Floyd is the place that gets hammered by icy events. 

For that NAM run, Radford seems to be on the fringe.  Out of sheer curiosity, I have an urge to travel to Floyd, Poor Mountain, Bent Mountain, or Rocky mount to see what a true freezing rain event looks like.

Man you go out toward Route 8 into Floyd you’ll probably get more than you ask for LOL

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, WXNewton said:

Also saw Brad P. in house model tonight and it had almost all of NC in Freezing rain and dropped temps in HKY to 31. It was definitely interesting and seems like other guidance is not too far off from what he was showing. He also seemed a little more excited about a legit ice threat.

Was that on FB live?