Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan. 31-Feb. 2 Miller B storm

LVblizzard

5 minutes ago, Violentweatherfan said:

Paragraphs would make this an easier read. 

For VWF:

The models all show good qpf in Philly and surroundings. The differential in the snow amounts is mostly differences in how much warm nose pushes in and hence how much mixing occurs.

My exp is that given the cold air that's been in place, and the high precip rates expected due to the rapid deepening low, you'll get the typical evap cooling effect where the heavy rates keep the column at freezing so long as precip is sufficiently robust. The lull period tnght tmrw am is where the risk is as has been stated. Heaviest rates, 1-2" hr are really only progged for a short time on any of the models, and it's right after precip ramps back up. Some models show that period being sleet for many of us; that cuts the totals. Others keep it all snow. That will be the difference for the corridor though btwn a 6-8-12-15 storm total.

Remember that if we got 2" thundersnow type rates for several hours, we'd be talking plural feet in the corridor, not 10ish inches over 3 days. *Most* of this event is clearly NOT heavy snow.

So, don't panic if things don't work out exactly as the models project. Expect that they won't be perfect. One thing they all show is that this system is with us for awhile and should produce some snow most of that time. By Tuesday pm, we will probably add up to what this forum expects, but, expect a lot of panic and concern from people here tonight and Monday, beyond the lull, just bc I think people are expecting a major 2"+ hr rate situation and again, outside a few hour window, this is a low and slow burn.

I also think based on what I'm seeing live that the models may be underdoing the overrunning totals a bit, and that may also help us get to expected totals. We're going to be fine, folks.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I think Roger Smith is trolling us....can't be certain. He is pretty well-respected but those numbers seems astronomically absurd. Even Kuchera would chuckle.

I don’t think he is...

Seems to be a big waste of time for a respected 71 year old Canadian weather hobbyist‼️

I suspect he’s more of an old-time synopstician, like Larry Cosgrove, who looks at more than just straight model analysis⁉️‼️

I appreciate his time and thoughts here, as I do with others sharing their views‼️

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, snowwors2 said:

I don’t think he is...

Seems to be a big waste of time for a respected 71 year old Canadian weather hobbyist‼️

I suspect he’s more of an old-time synopstician, like Larry Cosgrove, who looks at more than just straight model analysis⁉️‼️

I appreciate his time and thoughts here, as I do with others sharing their views‼️

Yeah, definitely. All from other forums are welcome. 

• Like 1

Are we still thinking a period of light precipitation/no precip in the morning? If so, what time frame are y’all thinking for that. I have to go in to work at 6 and am wondering what time I’ll need to cut out before the blast comes (if it comes, I guess). I’m 30 miles nw of Philly btw.