• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Upstate/Eastern New York

9 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

The 00Z models are really pushing on the downsloping off the Tug in Oswego County and possibly northern Onondaga.

That's not really much of an effect. The elevation difference is pretty minimal. It's not like the Hudson Valley with the Berks to the east and even there it takes a unique set of conditions for it to be a large effect.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Syrmax said:

That's not really much of an effect. The elevation difference is pretty minimal. It's not like the Hudson Valley with the Berks to the east and even there it takes a unique set of conditions for it to be a large effect.

Interesting. In PA, we would have horrible downsloping from 1,000 foot hills...but then again, that was often with a drying, NW wind.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Interesting. In PA, we would have horrible downsloping from 1,000 foot hills...but then again, that was often with a drying, NW wind.

Tug Hill isn't really a hill. It's a gradual rise in the land into a sort of plateau at a higher elevation.  I guess there could be some downslope effect but I think that's more of a localized issue in cold air drainage during nights with optimal radiational cooling. Which is why KART can see some outrageously low temps on winter mornings, which are mixed out fairly quickly after sunrise. For large scale synoptic forcing, I wouldn't think it's that much of an effect. Maybe slight.