Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2021

IrishRob17

39 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

My shih-tzu used to absolutely love the snow, but she's 18 now and has no patience for it anymore. Begrudgingly goes outside, but never lets the door out of her sight. Silly geezer.

It bodes extremely well for anyone who already has 5-6" before the banding regime even really takes over. You can see radar drying out over the far interior as broad-scale ascent yields to coastal low dynamics, with convection blossoming around the low off the Mid-Atlantic coast. Transverse banding over and off NJ betrays the potent upper jet streak that will continue to drive cyclogenesis.

Only about an inch here so far, the WAA snows were never going to impress up here. Buckle up folks, it's coming.

R5FZRYi.png

Love it when you use weather jargon.  The light patchy snow currently had me a bit worried. 

Just now, White Gorilla said:

Love it when you use weather jargon.  The light patchy snow currently had me a bit worried. 

I know just what you like. ;)

Not sure what's going down over in the California side of Dutchess, but snowfall rates have picked up nicely here, with impressive snow growth. That, in spite of the sparse radar echoes, is a good sign – the column is primed and ready to start dumping snow as soon as the warm front lifts north.

It may still be several hours yet before the brunt of the action begins north of 84. That was well-modeled. On the 12z HRRR, our time to shine is 1 through 7 pm. What happens after that will determine whether it's a great storm or merely a good storm. If we dryslot before midnight as most of the hi-res models suggest, there probably won't be too many surprises with regard to final totals in our area. The GFS is much more friendly to the idea of meaningful snows right through tomorrow. It's a fun one to track!

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I know just what you like. ;)

Not sure what's going down over in the California side of Dutchess, but snowfall rates have picked up nicely here, with impressive snow growth. That, in spite of the sparse radar echoes, is a good sign – the column is primed and ready to start dumping snow as soon as the warm front lifts north.

It may still be several hours yet before the brunt of the action begins north of 84. That was well-modeled. On the 12z HRRR, our time to shine is 1 through 7 pm. What happens after that will determine whether it's a great storm or merely a good storm. If we dryslot before midnight as most of the hi-res models suggest, there probably won't be too many surprises with regard to final totals in our area. The GFS is much more friendly to the idea of meaningful snows right through tomorrow. It's a fun one to track!

Definitely!  Steady light snow here on the "Cali" side of Dutchess with larger flakes now mixing in.  We definitely hope for more accums tonight into tomorrow 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, North and West said:

The rescue had a many huskies there on Saturday. Hopefully they found a home and could go nuts in this weather.

Our guy being from Georgia was less... appreciative of the conditions. 

What rescue is that? My wife and kids are pushing for a husky puppy.

After the snow lightened for about 30 minutes it's back to heavy with large flakes. The wind is a real thing too.

• Like 1

^^Rechargeable? Looks like it does ok with a couple of inches of fluff.

First round of shoveling done. There's no good way to measure this stuff but I'd be ok with calling it 5-6" so far but it seems like its been inch am hour stuff for a while. It looks much deeper in the bushes where everything is settling because of the wind.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

^^Rechargeable? Looks like it does ok with a couple of inches of fluff.

First round of shoveling done. There's no good way to measure this stuff but I'd be ok with calling it 5-6" so far but it seems like its been inch am hour stuff for a while. It looks much deeper in the bushes where everything is settling because of the wind.

It does. It won't handle the gross plow-ins, but fresh snow, no issue. 

We've gotten about another half foot since I was out there at 9:30, so maybe a foot total or so thus far? Truly eyeballing it; I live on top of a hill and the wind is always rolling during these storms.

^^ Yup, similar. I'm just over the east side of a good sized hill and the wind makes it hard. I'm also approaching a foot now, close but not quite. There has only been 1 vehicle down the street all day, someones plow guy from down the street so the street is nearly pristine which is pretty cool. I'm going for another walk soon.

It's officially dumping out there kidz. Visibility is down under 1,000 feet now, I can't see the next street down the hill and the wind is hammering from the north. This is easily 2"/hr and probably more like 3+ but the wind... 26/26/NNE16-21/SN++ 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Winds have been pretty much dead-calm here all day. Nice sheltered valley FTW.

Those bands will weaken some as they surge north away from the 850mb moisture channel, but should still be good for 1-2"/hr rates imby. Looking forward to it.

CbdtpbF.png

A little frustrating seeing those heavier bands struggle with northwest progression.  Hope that changes.  Hope to see 1-2 hour rates for the many hours 

2 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

A little frustrating seeing those heavier bands struggle with northwest progression.  Hope that changes.  Hope to see 1-2 hour rates for the many hours 

Once those bands make it up here they won't move much just pivot in place. I think we are still on track for widespread 18-24 in the I-84 corridor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, snywx said:

Once those bands make it up here they won't move much just pivot in place. I think we are still on track for widespread 18-24 in the I-84 corridor

It is still puking out there. I'm easily at a foot now. The wind moved from N to NE and now it's mostly N again. I'm watching for the move to the NW, that should signal the pivot is done.

Wish I knew how much snow we've gotten in ramapo/spring valley thus far. Wife and I went for a walk though. That street was plowed at least 4 times and its completely covered with at least 4 inches that are VERY dense from cars and people walking on itc5aa032484dbb0d1ab157569bfaa5209.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I will confess that mby is close to falling behind the expectation vs. reality curve. I would have expected more than 3.5" by 2 pm. We stay the course though, that main band has some real staying power it appears. 

If we can get 1-2 inch rates going until midnight, that should get us into the 15-20 range 

• Like 1

Mesoscale Discussion 0052
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   1243 PM CST Mon Feb 01 2021

Areas affected...portions of far eastern Pennsylvania...central and
   northern New Jersey...far southeast New York...Long
   Island...Connecticut...Rhode Island...Massachusetts

Concerning...Heavy snow 

Valid 011843Z - 020045Z

SUMMARY...Up to 2-4 inch/hr snowfall rates will be possible across
   portions of the lower Hudson Valley and southern New England this
   afternoon, with occasional blizzard conditions possible across Long
   Island. Portions of far eastern Pennsylvania into central New Jersey
   will continue to experience a heavy sleet/snow mix.

DISCUSSION...A surface low continues to gradually deepen while
   tracking slowly north-northeastward just off the Jersey shoreline as
   a 110+ knot 300 mb jet traverses the Mid Atlantic/New England
   Coastline. Strong 925-700 mb warm-air advection ahead/north of the
   surface low continues to support ample mixed wintry
   precipitation/heavy snowfall potential amidst a sub-freezing
   tropospheric vertical profile and deep-layer ascent provided by
   coupled low-level convergence with the surface low and upper-level
   divergence by the strong 300 mb jet (per latest Mesoanalysis).
   Latest KDIX/KOKX dual-polarimetric radar depicts a an east to west
   snow/sleet transition zone roughly from KLOM to KISP. Latest METAR
   observations also show 1-3 inch/hr snowfall rates ongoing just north
   of this transition zone, and the heavier snow/sleet are expected to
   gradually translate northward through the afternoon. METAR sites
   also show 25 knot sustained northeasterly winds prevailing across
   Long Island, along with heavy snow and higher gusts noted. As such,
   brief and localized blizzard conditions are expected to persist.

Latest HREF, SREF, and last few runs of the HRRR suggest that
   relatively lighter snowfall rates mixed with sleet will be the
   predominant mode of precipitation from far eastern PA/central NJ
   southward this afternoon, with a transition of sleet likely across
   portions of Long Island and brief/localized blizzard conditions
   still possible. Farther north across parts of southern New England,
   the heavier band of wintry precipitation will progress northward,
   with strong 700 mb warm-air advection and a near-saturated dendritic
   growth zone supporting 1-3 inch/hr snowfall rates this afternoon, as
   suggested by high-resolution model guidance. A few brief instances
   of 4 inch/hr rates also cannot be ruled out.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nycemt123 said:

Wish I knew how much snow we've gotten in ramapo/spring valley thus far. Wife and I went for a walk though. That street was plowed at least 4 times and its completely covered with at least 4 inches that are VERY dense from cars and people walking on itc5aa032484dbb0d1ab157569bfaa5209.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

8.4 inches so far in Pomona NY

• Like 1