• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

1 hour ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

Stick a fork in this one, lol, but at least it gets COLD so the lakes can get some work in! The one time we need a NW trend we won't get it!

5 days to go is an eternity for a system like this. GFS at 6z was also NW by a good bit.

For our area we just need a couple of things to happen. The High position is off allowing for the primary to drive further North. The system isn’t as wrapped up allowing for a larger moisture field. 

The Euro at 12z had about .4 LE of snow for Binghamton - 0z had 1” plus and there are DAYS to sort this out  

Having done this for 30+ years I know well enough to not give up!  Are the odds against us now?  Sure. But modeled snow is just that...

FWIW - I also lived the first 39 years of my life in NJ/PA near 95, so I know heartbreak with storms like this as well as most!

EDIT while a terrible model the 6z ICON shows what’s still possible and how it could happen. Run a low inside NJ that’s less consolidated than the Euro and we see many inches of powder.   (2nd image)

14865490-16C0-4CDD-9855-025A278E8534.png

987D88D2-9C1C-4815-99AE-0CAA989710DA.png

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 96blizz said:

5 days to go is an eternity for a system like this. GFS at 6z was also NW by a good bit.

For our area we just need a couple of things to happen. The High position is off allowing for the primary to drive further North. The system isn’t as wrapped up allowing for a larger moisture field. 

The Euro at 12z had about .4 LE of snow for Binghamton - 0z had 1” plus and there are DAYS to sort this out  

Having done this for 30+ years I know well enough to not give up!  Are the odds against us now?  Sure. But modeled snow is just that...

FWIW - I also lived the first 39 years of my life in NJ/PA near 95, so I know heartbreak with storms like this as well as most!

EDIT while a terrible model the 6z ICON shows what’s still possible and how it could happen. Run a low inside NJ that’s less consolidated than the Euro and we see many inches of powder.   (2nd image)

14865490-16C0-4CDD-9855-025A278E8534.png

987D88D2-9C1C-4815-99AE-0CAA989710DA.png

Yessir 6z came even further NW and gives WNY a better shot...the trend is our friend? GFS also throws in an ENE wind component that would add enhancement off Ontario...today’s runs will be very important IMO

4 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Yessir 6z came even further NW and gives WNY a better shot...the trend is our friend? GFS also throws in an ENE wind component that would add enhancement off Ontario...today’s runs will be very important IMO

The weenies in the big cities never learn. I see so many “lock it in” comments it’s hilarious. I’m a huge believer in climatology as well - and 2’ of snow in NYC in December with a tucked low is supremely anomalous. 

sure it can happen and modeling favors it now - but I wouldn’t lock anything in yet. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, 96blizz said:

The weenies in the big cities never learn. I see so many “lock it in” comments it’s hilarious. I’m a huge believer in climatology as well - and 2’ of snow in NYC in December with a tucked low is supremely anomalous. 

sure it can happen and modeling favors it now - but I wouldn’t lock anything in yet. 

The NYC crowd aren't necessarily finding the negatives with this setup, but strangely enough there might be something here for them assuming mixing doesn't actually come into play.

Nonetheless I like where a good deal of us here are sitting...ratios over 10:1 (perhaps approaching >15:1?) with every model spitting out >8" for most inland areas (save for GFS)....so basically very few negatives really at hand for us unless you're more west 

21 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

A post from the NE forum pastes a NWS text that states the sampling of the pacific SW can’t really begin to be sampled until Sunday and with that believes the NW trend will continue...getting a bit more intrigued 

Exactly. The vort is over the ocean right now!  I posted my humorous article about this last winter. May be time to dig it up. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Hopeful to get an inch or so of scattered lake effect snow showers earlier in the week just to give the wintry appeal just in case that end of the week system finds a way to avoid us.

Asking too much?

With the first system trending closer I think the favored areas see 1-3” or so. The problem seems to be if the Wed/Thurs storm doesn’t deliver up here a White Xmas could be in serious jeopardy!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 96blizz said:

With the first system trending closer I think the favored areas see 1-3” or so. The problem seems to be if the Wed/Thurs storm doesn’t deliver up here a White Xmas could be in serious jeopardy!

For sure. Whatever snow we do get may not even make it to Christmas. I have been soooo busy at work I haven't even had time to look at Christmas week.

The amount of stress at work and the month and a half of dreary, brown landscape is taking a serious toll on my emotional (and physical) health. Many may not get it, but SNOW really is a rejuvenating, uplifting source for my everyday mood. The brightness factor. The cold, crisp air wakes one up. I miss winter...and definitely need some right now. 

• Like 2

It’s already been stated but the thing that could save areas along the I90 are the ENE-NW winds with this. We should end up with considerable enhancement. These ones with a large NW coverage usually do good in Rochester. Doesn’t look like we’ll be into the big stuff (it’s early!) but I’m thinking 6” is sure possible. 
The thing that could hurt us is the HP. It’s not so much the NW extent that’ll limit us but the Northern latitude gain. We are kind of in it with Boston. We want the same trends they want.