• Member Statistics

    16,626
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    donyewest
    Newest Member
    donyewest
    Joined
north pgh

Western Pa / Pittsburgh area Winter Discussion ❄️☃️

Recommended Posts

MD 91 graphic

 

Mesoscale Discussion 0091
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   0144 PM CST Mon Feb 15 2021

   Areas affected...northeastern Kentucky...southern/eastern
   Ohio...western/central Pennsylvania...northern West Virginia

   Concerning...Freezing rain 

   Valid 151944Z - 160145Z

   SUMMARY...Precipitation will expand from southwest to northeast
   across the discussion area.  0.05 to 0.10 inch per 3-hour
   accumulations of freezing rain are expected.

   DISCUSSION...Radar mosaic imagery continues to indicate an expanding
   precipitation shield across the majority of the state of Kentucky
   atop a shallow, sub-freezing airmass.  The precipitation continues
   to outpace northeastward-movement of most model guidance outside of
   certain CAMS (Nam3, HRRR).  These CAMS indicate continued
   northeastward progression of icing (freezing rain and some sleet)
   into Ohio/northern West Virginia over the next hour or so and
   southwestern Pennsylvania after around 22Z or so.  Upstream
   observations have indicated localized precipitation rates ranging as
   high as 0.05 to 0.10 inch per hour in heavier bands/convective
   elements, and the expectation is that this will continue with
   northeastward extent across the discussion area over the next 6
   hours.  At least 3-6 hours of icing is expected areawide.
   Additionally, a few areas of sleet (or even snow) are expected to
   mix in with freezing rain - especially across the northern extent of
   the discussion area where deeper cold air is present.

   ..Cook.. 02/15/2021
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mailman said:

MD 91 graphic

 

Mesoscale Discussion 0091
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   0144 PM CST Mon Feb 15 2021

   Areas affected...northeastern Kentucky...southern/eastern
   Ohio...western/central Pennsylvania...northern West Virginia

   Concerning...Freezing rain 

   Valid 151944Z - 160145Z

   SUMMARY...Precipitation will expand from southwest to northeast
   across the discussion area.  0.05 to 0.10 inch per 3-hour
   accumulations of freezing rain are expected.

   DISCUSSION...Radar mosaic imagery continues to indicate an expanding
   precipitation shield across the majority of the state of Kentucky
   atop a shallow, sub-freezing airmass.  The precipitation continues
   to outpace northeastward-movement of most model guidance outside of
   certain CAMS (Nam3, HRRR).  These CAMS indicate continued
   northeastward progression of icing (freezing rain and some sleet)
   into Ohio/northern West Virginia over the next hour or so and
   southwestern Pennsylvania after around 22Z or so.  Upstream
   observations have indicated localized precipitation rates ranging as
   high as 0.05 to 0.10 inch per hour in heavier bands/convective
   elements, and the expectation is that this will continue with
   northeastward extent across the discussion area over the next 6
   hours.  At least 3-6 hours of icing is expected areawide.
   Additionally, a few areas of sleet (or even snow) are expected to
   mix in with freezing rain - especially across the northern extent of
   the discussion area where deeper cold air is present.

   ..Cook.. 02/15/2021 

So looks like I'm not going anywhere later. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 18z NAM continues to make me ask the question: how far south does this ****ing low have to be for the NAM to give us snow and not sleet/zr/rain on Thursday and Friday? I guess the positive here is the track looks good. Maybe the ptype question will be sorted out later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

The 18z NAM continues to make me ask the question: how far south does this ****ing low have to be for the NAM to give us snow and not sleet/zr/rain on Thursday and Friday? I guess the positive here is the track looks good. Maybe the ptype question will be sorted out later.

Yes this NAM run is strange. We will have to wait til tonight or tomorrow to see what is really going on. It has a similar setup on thurs as today but today the low is tracking into West Virginia and Thursday it shows it in the gulf with the precip in pa. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, north pgh said:

I am heading out at 6:00 for a couple hours. I’ll let you know how it is when I get back.

Honestly the crews have been out, any pretreated road should be fine. Now untreated will probably get dicey quick.

If temperatures are really in the mid to upper 30s overnight I’d even be willing to bet conditions aren’t to bad tomorrow morning. If that’s wrong though then all bets are off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Honestly the crews have been out, any pretreated road should be fine. Now untreated will probably get dicey quick.

If temperatures are really in the mid to upper 30s overnight I’d even be willing to bet conditions aren’t to bad tomorrow morning. If that’s wrong though then all bets are off.

Precip seems to be moving into the south hills. Let’s see if we have any reports from our southern posters. Would still be nice to see a quick burst of snow before the event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Precip seems to be moving into the south hills. Let’s see if we have any reports from our southern posters. Would still be nice to see a quick burst of snow before the event.
No snow. Freezing rain here in Bethel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, north pgh said:

Precip seems to be moving into the south hills. Let’s see if we have any reports from our southern posters. Would still be nice to see a quick burst of snow before the event.

Freezing rain from the start down there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking upstream from us in this case it’s still only 30 in Parkersburg and Morgantown, so it’s going to be awhile before we bump up over freezing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, north pgh said:

Precip seems to be moving into the south hills. Let’s see if we have any reports from our southern posters. Would still be nice to see a quick burst of snow before the event.

NOPE.  Freezing rain here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

North of the city still may have a chance for a quick burst of snow. though from an overall Icing perspective putting down even half an inch on the roads then ice would be a mess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing reports of freezing rain as far NW as beaver county already on the NWS Facebook page. Read the comments at your own risk though, certainly some gems in there that will make you further lose faith in humanity... :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crazy how warm it is already at 850. 4°c. We never stood a chance with that warm air working in here. 27.8° F at the airport right now. Bad icing situation


.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.