Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Western Pa / Pittsburgh area Winter Discussion ❄️☃️

north pgh

13 minutes ago, Ecanem said:

0z NAM looks like a track right on that patch. Looks like a jackpot for us.  Hopefully it holds.  

Cool.  Yes, the jackpot looks like it's right on us.  Not too far in the future either, so we should do pretty well.

This has been a check of a winter so far, I really hope it continues.

5 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

3k NAM looks pretty warm at first with some mixing. No idea about the layers and what not that is above my pay grade. 

Yeah when I switched over to my weather models sub and looked at the snowmap it looks west but the radar on tropical tidbits looks like it’s all snow. I’m guessing it has to do with the mixing layers 

16 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

GFS is more progressive than the NAM, but both get to about that 5” to 7” range E to W. NAM has it snowing about 6 hours later into Christmas Day.

The upper levels have a closed low with negatively tilted trough. Might be a good sign that this meanders a bit as opposed quickly sliding away. 

You never know what a closed off low is going to do.

6 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

^So, the same as last time?  Trends started going bad in the last day, and went back last minute.

We will see. We still get several inches but really are on a razors edge.

edit: looking at the HRRR we still are in the 4-6 range. Ohio gets obliterated with 10 inches on it though lol.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ChalkHillSnowNut said:

Yes and I’m happy for you guys closer to the city and further west-you’re gonna have the higher totals from this it looks like!! Merry Christma!!

You too! Higher totals are not a big deal when some of us will have 2-4 and some 4-6. For as many times that we have a brown, warm Christmas I’m happy with a nice coating. This year is a 1 in 20 year thing. :snowing:

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Front is though Zanesville. 

Keep it movin’ 

Is it tracking with the models?

Also, what are the chances of lake effect throughout the day tomorrow?  Erie and those areas will be getting heavy lake effect snow, is it possible to see that make it down here, or will the wind not be favorable?  I know it seems lake effect is kind of hard to forecast here, so hopefully we can benefit a little.

10 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Man, we change over even an hour or two early we go from 4-6 to a warning level event 

Not out of the possibility at all. All depends on the changeover. Usually we are on the losing side but maybe we get lucky. Gonna be interesting to see how fast that front moves through. 

• Like 1