• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Western Pa / Pittsburgh area Winter Discussion ❄️☃️

north pgh

This sort of stuff is usually reserved for the east coast in bombing cyclones or LES bands.

NWUS51 KPBZ 170222
LSRPBZ

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA
922 PM EST WED DEC 16 2020

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0921 PM     SNOW             BLACK LICK              40.47N  79.19W
12/16/2020  M13.5 INCH       INDIANA            PA   TRAINED SPOTTER

13.5 IN AS OF 845 PM, 8 INCHES IN 3 HOURS.

&&

EVENT NUMBER PBZ2002008

$$

JKL

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoraopolisWx said:

When the Euro held serve last night, confidence in reaching  warning criteria was good.

Combine that with the short term guidance this morning, along with the right conditions, 8-12" was possible.

I think that's why you should never have a knee jerk reaction to the models. 

• Like 3

For all our model drama over the last 36 hours, this performed squarely within the blend of the models. So while it might be a slight overperformer to most of the forecasts, there was plenty of model guidance to suggest a widespread 8”-12” in AGC

The bust potential was the relatively progressive setup and the uncertainty around the banding. So I would have forecasted slightly less as well, but those factors worked enough in our favor. Had a solid 12 hours of snow, and some of those bands were intense!

Just did my last measurement for the night and I'm pleased to say that it's reached 10" and is still coming down. I'm pleased as punch. What a great start to the season! And thank goodness I found this board to share the ups and downs of tracking this whopper... It was quite the rollercoaster ride. See everybody tomorrow! 

• Like 1

On 12/15/2020 at 11:12 AM, north pgh said:

Looking at an early 12Z Canadian it is showing 12 hours of moderate snow. Take it for what it's worth but if we can get 1/2 to 1 inch hour rates per hour figure it out. :snowwindow:

This was from yesterday morning. The Canadian has been my model of choice the last couple years.

• Thanks 1

Need to find you and meet up! My parents live off 88....I grew up there

Yeah, I remember when you were "BethelParkSnowNut". I grew up in Westmoreland County then I moved to this area back in 1998 after I met my wife and she lived in South Park at the time. Lived there and Bethel for 21 years with her until she passed away last year. I thought about moving since but I like it here so I'm still here for now. Yeah, I'd like to meet sometime whenever you're in the area.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, blackngoldrules said:

Yeah, I remember when you were "BethelParkSnowNut". I grew up in Westmoreland County then I moved to this area back in 1998 after I met my wife and she lived in South Park at the time. Lived there and Bethel for 21 years with her until she passed away last year. I thought about moving since but I like it here so I'm still here for now. Yeah, I'd like to meet sometime whenever you're in the area.

Very sorry for your loss

• Like 1