• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    samithdfm
    Newest Member
    samithdfm

“Let’s Talk Winter!

1 hour ago, jbcmh81 said:

Since 1884, Columbus has recorded 31 winters with at least 1 daily 6" snow event.  That's about 1 every 4.4 years, so it's not particularly unusual to go 5 years without one.  There hasn't been an official once in Columbus since the 2014-15 season, which is now 6 years.  The longest the city has ever gone without recording a 6" daily snowfall was 1918-19 to 1946-47, 28 straight years.  

However, if you expand it out to a 2-day event, which most storms actually are, the data changes somewhat to a much greater frequency.  At that standard, you surpass 110 for a frequency about 1 every 2 years.  However, there still hasn't been once since 2014-2015 and the longest period without one is 1921-22 to 1946-47, 25 years.  

Thanks for the info and historical perspective! At least it's not 1923...

Cold dry air, suppresses a strung out, meandering  L, wobbles and then off the coast for a fish storm.

Still time to get an adjustment -- 50 miles could make a big difference 2>5"; also, any upper level lift could help ring out a lil extra;

Not much qpf up this way

I think 3" is the total high end for Thursday barring a big NW shift. I'm starting wonder what the snow melt over the next few weeks will look like. I'm hoping it's more gradual and without any heavy rain so we don't have flooding issues.

19 minutes ago, Gino27 said:

I think 3" is the total high end for Thursday barring a big NW shift. I'm starting wonder what the snow melt over the next few weeks will look like. I'm hoping it's more gradual and without any heavy rain so we don't have flooding issues.

Our snow pack probably has more staying power then some of the deeper snow pack further NW.  High water content and layers of frz rain/sleet mixed in.

High ratio snow is great but it disappears more quickly.   I'd still rather have the high ratio stuff though.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Our snow pack probably has more staying power then some of the deeper snow pack further NW.  High water content and layers of frz rain/sleet mixed in.

High ratio snow is great but it disappears more quickly.   I'd still rather have the high ratio stuff though.

Yeah mines is about 12" and only 1/2 of it is powedery snow, mostly concrete at this point. It's going to be a month before some of these plow piles are gone.

It's funny we all called it a NW trend with the last storm, but it was more like a NW pop.   It literally unfolded during the storm.   I said I'd take my chances any day with a storm that rode from AL to central WV and east....but it got to WV and nudged into eastern OH, bringing the wtod with it.  It really sucks when you can't trust models 24 hrs out.

We rarely benefit from NW trends but the most infamous one that we did was PD03.  After the first wave came through the second bigger wave was supposed to be a miss south.  I checked I remember checking the.18z models that Saturday evening and everything had suddenly shifted central OH into the game and that was less than 24 hours out.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, buckeye said:

It's funny we all called it a NW trend with the last storm, but it was more like a NW pop.   It literally unfolded during the storm.   I said I'd take my chances any day with a storm that rode from AL to central WV and east....but it got to WV and nudged into eastern OH, bringing the wtod with it.  It really sucks when you can't trust models 24 hrs out.

We rarely benefit from NW trends but the most infamous one that we did was PD03.  After the first wave came through the second bigger wave was supposed to be a miss south.  I checked I remember checking the.18z models that Saturday evening and everything had suddenly shifted central OH into the game and that was less than 24 hours out.

So you’re saying there’s a chance? LOL

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Which is what I have to tell myself to feel better about all the snow in Chicago. (It'll melt really fast....lol) Desperate!

16 minutes ago, Angrysummons said:

Just the bad luck. NW ohio made out this time like eastern ohio did during Christmas.

Ain't that the truth... Eastern Ohio was crushing it early on. Two weeks ago most of Northern OH was burried. Then last week Cincinnati got their big one. I'm still gonna end up right around or above average this season, and we broke our "no WSW streak" even though none of them verified.

The biggest problem with yesterday's storm is the jet stream wasn't right for us, draw a line from New Orleans to Cleveland it didn't matter what the ground temps were, if you were on or east of that line, that's where the WTOD road that line. When you see Gulf Coast states, like S Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi get hammered with heavy snow and temps in the low teens to single digits, that's what burns our a$$eS!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gino27 said:

Ain't that the truth... Eastern Ohio was crushing it early on. Two weeks ago most of Northern OH was burried. Then last week Cincinnati got their big one. I'm still gonna end up right around or above average this season, and we broke our "no WSW streak" even though none of them verified.

We had our synoptic run in December in Northeast Ohio... really rare to get two large storms like that in the same Winter. After those two storms I would have been perfectly content with an early Spring. 

24 minutes ago, dilly84 said:

NAM looks like it'd be a good snow, but for some reason doesn't translate to accumulations

Unlike the last one, there should actually be decent ratios & no sleet!!!

• Haha 4

The next few days look like end of winter's death grip that we've been seeing the last few weeks. Next week will feel really warm as we could tap into the upper 40s. With that taste of early spring we'll prob have snow in April and freezing temps in to mid-May like last year lol.

1 hour ago, Gino27 said:

The next few days look like end of winter's death grip that we've been seeing the last few weeks. Next week will feel really warm as we could tap into the upper 40s. With that taste of early spring we'll prob have snow in April and freezing temps in to mid-May like last year lol.

TBH, I'm ready for Spring. As I get older the less and less I enjoy snow and cold. Especially cold.

5 hours ago, iluvsnow said:

Idk about that. I don't know how one system could depress the SE ridge (that will inevitably show up) for the whole month of march. By mid month we should be looking at close to 50 for highs. That would be an epic cold outbreak to keep us that cold for the whole month.

48 minutes ago, Gino27 said:

Idk about that. I don't know how one system could depress the SE ridge (that will inevitably show up) for the whole month of march. By mid month we should be looking at close to 50 for highs. That would be an epic cold outbreak to keep us that cold for the whole month.

He blocked me years ago for doubting him for giving storm and snow calls like 10 days out.

• Haha 1

That was it??? Lima had like 25-30 inches of snow after the blizzard. Probably the result of Toledo missing out on the 17-18/20-21 storms.

Am I wrong in thinking it's been a few years since we've had snow cover in Columbus for this long? Seems like the glacier in my backyard might hang tough through next week if we don't go too far above freezing. 

Sol's power this time of year makes me hope we start getting more front loaded winters again. Unless you get a blizzard like 1965 or 84 which blow drifts up, late snow is easy to spoil. That is why the melt will be fairly quicker than people expect, except for the piles. Anything in the sun will be zapped. That is why 1978 is almost near perfection in Ohio. Big snow period between the 5-10th of December, a melt in mid-December, couple of small events up until the 17th of January when the Sol is starting to charge up and then the 17-27th period was like the Muslims traveling to Mecca for the Ohio winter weenie. February then was a cold, but not majorly cold nice drift down the stairs into spring with the snowcover lasting until March(Piles until May).

1 minute ago, weatherzen said:

Am I wrong in thinking it's been a few years since we've had snow cover in Columbus for this long? Seems like the glacier in my backyard might hang tough through next week if we don't go too far above freezing. 

I'd say Jan 2014 would be the last time we had consecutive weeks with decent snow cover, that year it was for the whole month, not just 2 - 2 1/2 weeks.