Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
MO/KS/AR/OK 2020-2021 "Winter" Discussion

JoMo

1 minute ago, Wx 24/7 said:

Do you buy the 14:1 or 16:1 ratios SGF mentions? Seems like it should be higher??? 

Overall, we started
with 12-14 to 1 ratios and gradually climbed into the 16-19 to 1
range as the event ends.

They go higher at the end.

14 minutes ago, Wx 24/7 said:

Do you buy the 14:1 or 16:1 ratios SGF mentions? Seems like it should be higher??? 

I have seen some chatter on twitter that there isnt nearly as much ascent within the DGZ as was previously expected, so the ratios likely will not be off the charts, like we were all hoping. Additionally, any reduction in QPF is amplified when you are relying on high SLRs to get big totals. Unfortunately, we are trending in the wrong direction on both items. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MoWeatherguy said:

Come to expect that around here.  Minus Dec 13th, 2020, this place is cursed for snow.

Man the last time I saw a good snow here(over 4") was back in 2013, no kidding! Thats right around when you moved here also isnt it? Every year since its been half inch to 1 inch lil storms or a total of a half inch to an inch a season lol

5 minutes ago, NwWhiteOut said:

Man the last time I saw a good snow here(over 4") was back in 2013, no kidding! Thats right around when you moved here also isnt it? Every year since its been half inch to 1 inch lil storms or a total of a half inch to an inch a season lol

Yes, you are correct.  Moved here in March 2014.  One 5" snow since then.

Stolen from Chris Higgins at Fox 2 in St. Louis. Bolded words are changes made for us.

1. Someone notices the possibility of a potent storm moving thru the area in 7-10 days.

2. 3-4 days are spent pointing out that off-hour runs are stupid and useless and throwing out any model that doesn't appear to confirm accumulating snow along the I-35, 1-40, and I-44 corridors.

3. 2-3 days are spent trying to determine what the heck the term "interstate corridor" actually means.

4. During the same period, every registered user askes the handful of posters who actually understand the models how much snow will fall at their nearest cross-street - and they ask 6-10 times after each model run.

5. System will be compared to every big snow event in the last 28 years.

6. As the system approaches, people who may (or may not) know what they are talking about post accumulation maps.

7. Each registered user bemoans the fact that the system is missing them by 50 miles.

8. System actually comes on shore, completely throwing all models into chaos. (This is also when terms like "nowcasting" begin to be used and "discos" from other NWS offices begin to show up regularly.)

9. Users again frantically try to determine how much will fall at their cross street.

10. System goes north or south. Every user gives up hope of seeing any snow at all (24 hours earlier, the models indicated 6-8 inches at their cross-street.)

11. Users try not to use off-color language to indicate their frustration with not getting any snow at all or at least far less than the models originally indicated.

12. 95% of users watch in horror as 5% of users begin to post photos of snow actually falling on one of the requested cross-streets. 

13. System pjazzes to the North/South/East/West and bombs out on someone else. Postings cease. Newbies are addicted......

14. New system shows up - See #1.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, The Waterboy said:

Guys (and gals), 

We still are in play for 6-12+ for almost everybody in 2 storms.  Yes, lots of room for error.  We aren’t getting shutout though.  

Here’s some reassurance from the v16...

https://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?m=gfs_para&p=snku_acc&rh=2021021218&fh=216&r=us_sc&dpdt=&mc=

Holy smokes!  That found something big after Thursday.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Waterboy said:

Guys (and gals), 

We still are in play for 6-12+ for almost everybody in 2 storms.  Yes, lots of room for error.  We aren’t getting shutout though.  

Here’s some reassurance from the v16...

https://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?m=gfs_para&p=snku_acc&rh=2021021218&fh=216&r=us_sc&dpdt=&mc=

You are setting yourself up to be taught a very important lesson. Big storms no longer happen here. 

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, KC Storm said:

For those worried down south. I really think your fine. I think were just seeing things get a bit more realistic amounts wise. Those maps a few days ago were fun to look at but these numbers are a lot more realistic.  Still a good storm is one the way for many. 

The trend is not good, and were still two days out. It could reverse course, but if the trend continues, its not looking good for anything of significance. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1