Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

36 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

This storm was a little strange, though. No upslope afterwards and almost zero wind here. It was ripping snow yesterday and dead calm. Winds never even came in after the storm passed.

Yea, the storm never actually passed like normal.  The ULL is just sitting and spinning over SNE-normally the storms are strengthening at this latitude and then moving up into Eastern Canada somewhere allowing the backside Upslope on NW or N winds.  This thing is just sitting and rotting over us.  You can see those bands out in CNY, they have been there for like 24 hours.  Some spots got 12-18" just last night.

2 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Yea, the storm never actually passed like normal.  The ULL is just sitting and spinning over SNE-normally the storm are strengthening at this latitude and then moving up into Eastern Canada somewhere allowing the backside Upslope on NW or N winds.  This thing is just sitting and rotting over us.  You can see those bands out in CNY, they have been there for like 24 hours.  Some spots got 12-18" just last night.

Kind of a weird one, but not complaining about hours of heavy snow and 13" new inches.

My neighbor is up to 103.8" on the season. A little ahead of average pace at this point, actually. This winter really turned around post-Grinch and especially after the mid-month storm.

• Like 1

Looks like the Hermit Lake Snowplot at 3500' or so... uh, I mean "Gorham"... pulled in 14.6" for top honors in Coos.

There is a report from downtown Lancaster with 13.0." That's gotta be a mistake. The other observers nearby had 6.0 and 3.4 which better aligns with what I saw there yesterday.

I assume Mt. Washington and Pinkham Notch had more than 5.2 and 6.6 inches. I'm sure measuring there is challenging in any case.

This winter has def had an interesting evolution. Rain on Thanksgiving and opening day at Bretton Woods. Not much good snow making temps at all through the first two weeks of Dec. Then the Grinch Storm- closed the ski resort, closed Nordic Skiing, closed Tubing, Snowmobiling non existent. Then things gradually improved, not anything to write home about Synoptic wise, but temps improved for snowmaking to kick in, we did get a good base builder, upsloped kicked in. Things are stable now as we head into February. It just took forever...

The winter prior to me moving up here- All Systems go by November. I remember Alex was glade Skiing. 

40 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Looks like the Hermit Lake Snowplot at 3500' or so... uh, I mean "Gorham"... pulled in 14.6" for top honors in Coos.

There is a report from downtown Lancaster with 13.0." That's gotta be a mistake. The other observers nearby had 6.0 and 3.4 which better aligns with what I saw there yesterday.

I assume Mt. Washington and Pinkham Notch had more than 5.2 and 6.6 inches. I'm sure measuring there is challenging in any case.

I saw Wildcat said they got 17”. Also looking at NOHRSC Randolph has a 34” snow depth which is only behind Hermit lake in all of NH. The 34” is basically double anything else in NH including the Pittsburg area. Pretty wild. 

I way underestimated the snow removal situation here. I left too much snow all the way from the post-Grinch period laying around and it turned into cement. My brand new snowblower is like a child's toy with this stuff. I need the one with tank treads that throws snow 100 feet away. I also need a tractor front-loader or something.

Definitely way more snow than I have ever dealt with by far and it's been a crappy winter for retention...

5 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Yeah, the flow has finally turned to the north and west representing the back side of Winter Storm Orlena.  It was amazing how far west the storm pushed, and how long it took to get to the backside moisture.

Yeah looked like the mountain picked up a quick inch from 4-5pm.

Radar looks great.  I see we've got @Froude lurking so that's always a good sign for upslope, ha.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I way underestimated the snow removal situation here. I left too much snow all the way from the post-Grinch period laying around and it turned into cement. My brand new snowblower is like a child's toy with this stuff. I need the one with tank treads that throws snow 100 feet away. I also need a tractor front-loader or something.

Definitely way more snow than I have ever dealt with by far and it's been a crappy winter for retention...

Need more photos of your buried state and driveway!  Ha ha.

I know plenty of people with small tractors and stuff for plowing their driveways that live a bit outside of town and have those long driveways like you in snow country.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Need more photos of your buried state and driveway!  Ha ha.

I know plenty of people with small tractors and stuff for plowing their driveways that live a bit outside of town and have those long driveways like you in snow country.

I have to put the truck in the barn before the storms because otherwise I then also have to shovel the damn truck bed. It never melts. That’s not the kind of issue you ever encounter in MD. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I have to put the truck in the barn before the storms because otherwise I then also have to shovel the damn truck bed. It never melts. That’s not the kind of issue you ever encounter in MD. 

Yeah that’s why everyone has covers in the winter over their beds.  Once you get snow and ice in there it’s not leaving.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah that’s why everyone has covers in the winter over their beds.  Once you get snow and ice in there it’s not leaving.

Learning many lessons this winter. 

Also learning you need to be strategic about where you throw snow. I have a few spots where I am backed into a corner with huge piles all around, like when you paint yourself into the far end of the room. I will need to break those piles down and move them to proceed. LOL

All these multi-level decks makes it sort of a nightmare. But I still want more snow!

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Learning many lessons this winter. 

Also learning you need to be strategic about where you throw snow. I have a few spots where I am backed into a corner with huge piles all around, like when you paint yourself into the far end of the room. I will need to break those piles down and move them to proceed. LOL

All these multi-level decks makes it sort of a nightmare. But I still want more snow!

I think I sense some crying for his Momma tone creeping in lol

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah looked like the mountain picked up a quick inch from 4-5pm.

Radar looks great.  I see we've got @Froude lurking so that's always a good sign for upslope, ha.

Ha yup let's get this machine up and running tonight.  Nice fluff coming down on the west side this evening.

24 minutes ago, Froude said:

Ha yup let's get this machine up and running tonight.  Nice fluff coming down on the west side this evening.

Where are you located over there?  Radar looks great.  Grooming department on Mansfield estimating bursts over 1”/hr.  We’ve even got some making it to town but given the radar it seems the heavy stuff is staying tight to the ski area and then westward.