Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2020-21 Discussion

CAPE

50 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Latest EURO weeklies (crappy freebie) panel for the day. Weekly mean h5 height anomalies, for Dec 7-14. FWIW.

1325957295_epsfreebie.thumb.png.2cffa59d2b90ea8f2cddce85ad625c79.png

Who knows man. It will probably be a awful winter but when nobody goes cold and snow ....there is bound to be a surprise. We don't even need a cold winter. Just some luck when it is cold 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Ji said:

Who knows man. It will probably be a awful winter but when nobody goes cold and snow ....there is bound to be a surprise. We don't even need a cold winter. Just some luck when it is cold 

Well this is probably how it will go. A few relatively brief cold periods with maybe some luck. Or not. We are streaky with the luck part.

11 hours ago, CAPE said:

Latest EURO weeklies (crappy freebie) panel for the day. Weekly mean h5 height anomalies, for Dec 7-14. FWIW.

1325957295_epsfreebie.thumb.png.2cffa59d2b90ea8f2cddce85ad625c79.png

Extended GEFS looks similar for early Dec. It had this look for mid to late November then lost it. Keeps kicking the can on any decent HL look. We will see. At best it will probably be a period of transient ridging(bootleg -NAO) IMO. If something like this were to verify, it might give us some seasonably chilly weather for a stretch, but given the look in the EPAC/N of AK, the air mass would be more Pacific in origin.

gfs-ens_z500aMean_namer_24.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Extended GEFS looks similar for early Dec. It had this look for mid to late November then lost it. Keeps kicking the can on any decent HL look. We will see. At best it will probably be a period of transient ridging(bootleg -NAO) IMO. If something like this were to verify, it might give us some seasonably chilly weather for a stretch, but given the look in the EPAC/N of AK, the air mass would be more Pacific in origin.

Agreed. This is what Griteater was afraid of, that we would have a flat Aleutian ridge instead of a poleward one, he expected this to happen

4 hours ago, snowman19 said:

Agreed. This is what Griteater was afraid of, that we would have a flat Aleutian ridge instead of a poleward one, he expected this to happen

Doubt that too many 672 hour ensemble means showing anything that doesn’t look mostly zonal. To see any ridging at all is noteworthy 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CAPE said:

That pattern in Jan-Mar would be pretty nice. Early December would be dicey for cold air, but possible. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Man, does SSW even exist in the winter anymore? Lol I heard the talk the loudest in the 18/19 winter yet it either never materialized or didn't do jack diddly squat!

Going to be tough with La Nina dominating many parts of pattern right now. QBO is unfavorable too, I think. (Something to watch is Nov-Dec '18 and '19 had the coldest Stratosphere ever for that time of the year going back to 1948. Should be interesting to see if '20 does it. And maybe '21 too.)

3 hours ago, StormchaserChuck! said:

I have to wonder if we can dig a NE trough in here this Winter (like 12-13, 13-14) if we have this kind of rainfall pattern setting up. 

season_drought.png

I keep trying to convince myself that atmospheric memory is a thing and with 70" of rain so far in Southern Maryland this year that the pattern HAS to continue through winter and at least give us a couple snows.  I mean, it can't just flip to drought or be 35F and heavy rain for all of DJF....right? 

• Weenie 1

I would think it would be odd for every storm to be a warm front during the Winter. But that is what the climate indicators are suggesting. No one thought it would be +NAO in the Winter for 34 straight months, so who knows... The La Nina looks uniform, which could hold that 35 and rain pattern through the Winter. (I already know it's going to be a warm March and April.) 

Winter forecast. I used analogs and pattern recognition. Factors include ENSO, QBO, PDO, AMO, AAM, Atl SST, soil moisture, and trends. 

December I expect the predominant pattern to take on a configuration that resembles... HEvvfAI.jpg

January as the PV reaches its Max and the jet stream settles into its dominant winter configuration I could see things evolve to 

HujKUTF.jpg

Finally in February as the same old regulars (we all know who) tell us everyday how awful it is as if we don’t know I think the pattern might transition to 

266FF6EC-1976-4E52-9C99-681C1F088742.gif.950df79a7e30d9230d5bed297b61b185.gif

For anyone who makes it to March expect 

E9D6F97A-8062-4159-BE47-AFDA02775FB5.gif.d788e0e5371fe545387e38fcfdee1b6b.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10