• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Hawkeyecr
    Newest Member
    Hawkeyecr

June Discobs 2020

Here is my view of that line of storms sinking southward. Pretty noisy. Hopefully the western edge will clip my yard.

storm.thumb.jpg.4aefa691eb041c02da7c50476f9f6d8c.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Here is my view of that line of storms sinking southward. Pretty noisy. Hopefully the western edge will clip my yard.

storm.thumb.jpg.4aefa691eb041c02da7c50476f9f6d8c.jpg

Awesome view of the Horizon CAPE.  Really miss having a decent LOS to watch inbound events.  We're surrounded by tall trees and can't hardly see a thing except a couple of slivers of the sky to the W and NE. 

10 hours ago, RDM said:

Awesome view of the Horizon CAPE.  Really miss having a decent LOS to watch inbound events.  We're surrounded by tall trees and can't hardly see a thing except a couple of slivers of the sky to the W and NE. 

That's the view from the end of my driveway. I am in the woods, so I cant see much of anything this time of year. In general though it is wide open around here with all the farms and no hills, so chases to get cool photos of storms are easy. I have collected quite a few dramatic shelf cloud shots over the years.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

That's the view from the end of my driveway. I am in the woods, so I cant see much of anything this time of year. In general though it is wide open around here with all the farms and no hills, so chases to get cool photos of storms are easy. I have collected quite a few dramatic shelf cloud shots over the years.

I drive through that area en route to the beach and also really enjoy the landscapes and scenery. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

91/66

That seems high. 86 here currently.

Your sensor in direct sun?

Or maybe its the Goldsboro UHI.

1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Maybe downsloping, it was hot here but definitely less humid and a breeze.

6 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Yes it was less humid today for sure. Locally there is no downsloping here though. He is a few miles NE of me, and its all flat and rural, and no direct bay breeze impacts. Just seems odd there would be a 5 degree difference without some sort of frontal boundary around, or a difference in cloud cover.

7 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Downsloping off the roof of my house.

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

90.3 in Easton. It is in direct sun here, but my sensor has a shield.  

Just now, SnowtoRain said:

90.3 in Easton. It is in direct sun here, but my sensor has a shield.  

Easton is almost always warmer than here.

Greensboro and Goldsboro are literally a few farm fields apart lol.

My station sensor has a shield, plus its only briefly in direct sun in mid/late morning. I have a secondary temp sensor on the north side of the house I use for reference.

• Like 1

My station is elevated off the ground in the middle of a grass yard. Isn't yours @C.A.P.E. right next to the woods? There are hardly any trees for about a mile and a half each direction here.

Just now, JakkelWx said:

My station is elevated off the ground in the middle of a grass yard. Isn't yours @C.A.P.E. right next to the woods? There are hardly any trees for about a mile and a half each direction here.

My house is directly in the woods. My station is a few feet off the ground behind the house. I like having a secondary sensor that is always in the shade- makes it easy to detect any errors due to sun soaking on the station sensor. Shielding/fan aspiration is the way to go to avoid high temp readings due to direct sun though.

• Like 1

In the woods, its kinda difficult to ideally place the weather station. I placed it in the ideal spot for accurate rain readings, so it isn't under the trees. Still a decent spot for temp readings, although it does get into direct sun for a time.

14 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

In the woods, its kinda difficult to ideally place the weather station. I placed it in the ideal spot for accurate rain readings, so it isn't under the trees. Still a decent spot for temp readings, although it does get into direct sun for a time.

797c95ba690f9b9ef1a3d4f505e1f64a.pngc668a5010eff052c7985d3f2ce4afd67.pngcbe0cb819b9105b3ad835b436b81c296.png

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yes it was less humid today for sure. Locally there is no downsloping here though. He is a few miles NE of me, and its all flat and rural, and no direct bay breeze impacts. Just seems odd there would be a 5 degree difference without some sort of frontal boundary around, or a difference in cloud cover.

1 hour ago, JakkelWx said:

Downsloping off the roof of my house.

:lol:

I was on my phone and didn’t realize @JakkelWx was also on the good side of the bay. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

^Wonder what make and model that wx station is

It's the ExTech WTH600-KIT Wireless Weather Station Kit.  Available at retailers like the Big A.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Remember that line in January :lol: 

It might help to inhibit lift, minimizing the cold rain.

• Haha 2

Insane CAPE values of over 6000 J/kg over western Nebraska and causing an absolute light show in western North Dakota right now.

If the 06z GFS verifies for the July 9th - July 15th period, get ready for some very hot days and hot nights in the upper 70s inland and low 80s along the Chesapeake bay. Probably won't verify that hot though, but it's a fun run to look at for heat lovers.

1 minute ago, JakkelWx said:

If the 06z GFS verifies for the July 9th - July 15th period, get ready for some very hot days and hot nights in the upper 70s inland and low 80s along the Chesapeake bay. Probably won't verify that hot though, but it's a fun run to look at for heat lovers.

My tomatoes and squash will love it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

I’m down for some stupidly hot weather.  This spring/early summer has been surprisingly comfortable. 

• Like 1