Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

28 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

This was so sad to read

Something that irks me...after every story like that there is a comment like “they had a pre-existing condition”. What is their point?  Did his death matter less because he had cancer as a child?  Would me and my wife’s death matter less because we have asthma?  Would my fathers because he has diabetes?  Or my uncle and father in law because they have heart problems?  How many people don’t have something?  And something about “this isn’t killing young healthy people” irks me everytime. Yes so?  What’s their point?  

Only slightly less annoying are the “omg were all gonna die from this” posts.  Umm no but this is bad enough, you don’t have to exaggerate just because it’s not the apocalypse. 

You would think this would be that rare subject where people would put their dumb ass nonsense away just for a little while. Obviously that was too much to ask. 

• Like 1

Live and die by model predictions...I learned a long time ago that you talk about the final results when all is said and done. Certain groups on TV picking the high or low number and focusing on them will now have to continually change and all that does is lead to mistrust and people bitching about them being wrong. I call it Covid-Ji syndrome 

• Haha 1

Welp.. the numbers are in people and it looks like several million people have or have had the Corona Virus in the greater New York metro region.  This brings the total infection mortality rate to well under 1%.   I know the flu numbers and also well under 1%.. like maybe 0.1% or something.. but at this point it is really just statistical semantics.    

By prolonging this we are simply increasing the probability that more elderly people will contract the virus.   I see no reason why we should be letting this thing stick around any longer than it needs to.   The fact that we are not allowing our Children and Healthy people eradicate this disease puts my parent's lives in danger.  

How much more data do these people need to realize that this is just another bad bug.. 

#StopPlayingGod

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Live and die by model predictions...I learned a long time ago that you talk about the final results when all is said and done. Certain groups on TV picking the high or low number and focusing on them will now have to continually change and all that does is lead to mistrust and people bitching about them being wrong. I call it Covid-Ji syndrome 

Where is Ji's twitter? 

6 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

Welp.. the numbers are in people and it looks like several million people have or have had the Corona Virus in the greater New York metro region.  This brings the total infection mortality rate to well under 1%.   I know the flu numbers and also well under 1%.. like maybe 0.1% or something.. but at this point it is really just statistical semantics.    

By prolonging this we are simply increasing the probability that more elderly people will contract the virus.   I see no reason why we should be letting this thing stick around any longer than it needs to.   The fact that we are not allowing our Children and Healthy people eradicate this disease puts my parent's lives in danger.  

How much more data do these people need to realize that this is just another bad bug.. 

#StopPlayingGod

Ok just stop.  You are advocating millions get it and totally overwhelm our medical infrastructure.  This will cause more deaths than sitting at home for a bit.  It has been said time and time again that this would be the result of your scenario.  Calling it the same as the flu is stupid and pointless.  Its not.  If you can't control your emotions when you post then I suggest taking a break.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, H2O said:

Ok just stop.  You are advocating millions get it and totally overwhelm our medical infrastructure.  This will cause more deaths than sitting at home for a bit.  It has been said time and time again that this would be the result of your scenario.  Calling it the same as the flu is stupid and pointless.  Its not.  If you can't control your emotions when you post then I suggest taking a break.

I am under complete control over my emotions. If you look at my posts, the vast majority of them are numbers and facts.  I think the rest of the world needs to get control over their emotions.

This would not overwhelm our medical infrastructure.. what we are seeing is statistically comparable to what we saw in  California and Florida in 2018 where their overall death rates flew through the roof.  There was an increase of 20% in the overall mortality rate... not flu... but overall deaths for the months where the flu peeked. 

The difference this year is that we are looking for it.  Plain and simple. 

7 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

I am under complete control over my emotions. If you look at my posts, the vast majority of them are numbers and facts.  I think the rest of the world needs to get control over their emotions.

This would not overwhelm our medical infrastructure.. what we are seeing is statistically comparable to what we saw in  California and Florida in 2018 where their overall death rates flew through the roof.  There was an increase of 20% in the overall mortality rate... not flu... but overall deaths for the months where the flu peeked. 

A little early Friday morning trolling i see.  It’s getting old though, you’re going to have to change it up a bit, keep it fresh. 

49 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

sigh. i brought you back on conditions. follow them please. 

Just now, mappy said:

sigh. i brought you back on conditions. follow them please. 

Okay.. I will stop :) .. I just think the board would be boring without an opposing voice... Phin was alright but he was wildly inconsistent. He basically disagreed with everything. My posts have been consistent and backed by numbers.  

7 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

Okay.. I will stop :) .. I just think the board would be boring without an opposing voice... Phin was alright but he was wildly inconsistent. He basically disagreed with everything. My posts have been consistent and backed by numbers.  

I'm not against an opposing voice in this thread, wish people would stop suggesting as much

27 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

Yeah, backed by the numbers you made up.  Here are some numbers from an actual scientist.   

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Yeah, backed by the numbers you made up.  Here are some numbers from an actual scientist.   

The IFR between 0.5-1% with 13.9% penetrance in NY, the worst hit area, is one of the worst pieces of news all around. It came out at the same time as the Geneva study and a study from late last month showing the same range for the IFR. This means it's 5-10x deadlier on a per-person basis than the flu, and will affect 8-10x more people. 

Literally using these numbers, you can expect that going the "herd immunity" route would result in 2,000,000+ deaths (and that's without taking into account hospital surging that would occur if you did such). 

It also shows that stay-at-home has been working, we have NOT reached these worst case scenarios because we have flattened the curve and prevented ourselves from being overwhelmed.

If you want to do the math yourself, just take 0.007 and multiply it by whatever area's population you are looking at, then multiply that by 0.85 (herd immunity for a disease that spreads this easily is about 85% of people) and you've got the likely number of minimum deaths from pursuing such a strategy, not counting hospital overwhelming effects of doing such.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

The IFR between 0.5-1% with 13.9% penetrance in NY, the worst hit area, is one of the worst pieces of news all around. It came out at the same time as the Geneva study and a study from late last month showing the same range for the IFR. This means it's 5-10x deadlier on a per-person basis than the flu, and will affect 8-10x more people. 

Literally using these numbers, you can expect that going the "herd immunity" route would result in 2,000,000+ deaths (and that's without taking into account hospital surging that would occur if you did such). 

It also shows that stay-at-home has been working, we have NOT reached these worst case scenarios because we have flattened the curve and prevented ourselves from being overwhelmed.

If you want to do the math yourself, just take 0.007 and multiply it by whatever area's population you are looking at, then multiply that by 0.85 (herd immunity for a disease that spreads this easily is about 85% of people) and you've got the likely number of minimum deaths from pursuing such a strategy, not counting hospital overwhelming effects of doing such.

I think it is safe to assume that New York city is the worse case scenario.  here are the numbers:

~15000 deaths

~2700000 cases (and growing at really fast clip)

Thats 0.5% Infection Mortality Rate

.1% vs .5% is statistically insignificant when you are evaluating infection mortality rates in large population centers.  For the CDC, we are talking about the population of the united states.  

In other words if you were to take in to account statistical variance, .1% and .5% really mean the same thing   

Just now, 40westwx said:

I think it is safe to assume that New York city is the worse case scenario.  here are the numbers:

~15000 deaths

~2700000 cases

Thats 0.5% Infection Mortality Rate

.1% vs .5% is statistically insignificant when you are evaluating infection mortality rates in large population centers.  For the CDC, we are talking about the population of the united states.  

In other words if you were to take in to account statistical variance, .1% and .5% really mean the same thing   

New York has 20,861 deaths. 

".1% and .5%" do not mean the same thing.

And the true IFR range is 0.5% - 1.1%. Multiple studies have now confirmed.

Just now, supernovasky said:

New York has 20,861 deaths. 

".1% and .5%" do not mean the same thing.

And the true IFR range is 0.5% - 1.1%. Multiple studies have now confirmed.

and 2700000 cases is last weeks number.. I am sure they have many many many more cases now.

• mappy locked this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic