Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

14 minutes ago, mappy said:

yes. 

this week has been especially bad regarding new hospitalizations, and its not surprising given how long it takes people from having mild symptoms to needing more care.

151 on the 12th for the 11th

115 on the 13th for the 12th

147 on the 14th for the 13th

109 on the 15th for the 14th 

I thought there was one +295 maybe like a week ago

2 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

I thought there was one +295 maybe like a week ago

oh shit, yes. you're right. missed that one. 

296 reported on the 11th for the 10th.

the MD dashboard didn't start showing new hospitalizations until April 3rd

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

May 15th is very positive considering NY is the epicenter and way beyond any other regions in terms of cases and deaths. Hopefully they are in shape to open a little on that date.

I’m REALLY hoping we can start getting back to normal by mid to late May.   I’m not in a bad situation being a teacher.  Stuck in the house with a 4 year old and 1 year old isn’t so bad with decent springtime weather and a steady paycheck honestly.  I’m just anxious to get the kids back to their normal lives (seeing friends, seeing family, etc) .  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

May 15th is very positive considering NY is the epicenter and way beyond any other regions in terms of cases and deaths. Hopefully they are in shape to open a little on that date.

1033 died yesterday in NYS

CDC aided 3k deaths from Cuomos number yesterday morning

20200416_123301.jpg

15 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

He said this might get extended if the cases are still high but he said don't expect a normal summer just like what Deblasio also said.

6 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

1033 died yesterday in NYS

CDC aided 3k deaths from Cuomos number yesterday morning

20200416_123301.jpg

Yes, adding in the probable deaths.  But I think @PhineasC was doing the apples to apples comparison of the confirmed deaths that cuomo always updates on.  And we don’t have enough day to day data yet on the probable deaths to discern any trends from. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PhineasC said:

We have very good data on IFR for the flu because we have tons of historical data and widespread global testing with which to make inferences. Clearly you haven’t read the latest studies coming out that show the estimated IFR dropping. It will always be estimated because we cannot test 7.7 billion people. They test a sample group and extrapolate. Basic stuff I’m sure you understand. Maybe read some of the studies on this before assuming I am pulling this all from my ass. I posted one here yesterday, for example. 

I don't necessarily disagree that the IFR is much lower than the numbers currently estimated by the WHO and CDC.  There is very good evidence using deductive reasoning of such.  But that kind of thing is also baked into the numbers of many viruses.  Yes we have a slightly better idea with the flu but it mutates significantly year to year and so we never do fully know the exact IFR each year and millions of cases go undiagnosed yearly so it is VERY likely the number is lower than the .01-.02 annually for the flu.  But there is another factor you are completely neglecting when you assume that if the IFR is similar to the flu we are obviously over reacting.  We have a degree of herd immunity built in to the flu.  We have a vaccine and some people have some natural ability to combat it due to previous exposures to similar strains.  Year to year the entire population isn't vulnerable.  The flu isn't going to infect the whole population in a short period of time.  This is not a comp situation.  A flu that infects 10% of the population with a .02 IFR is going to have a radically different effect on society than a virus that infects 80% with a .02 IFR.  That is the difference between 64,000 deaths (a bad flu season) and 512,000 deaths...(a major societal catastrophe).  And that doesn't even include the impacts of likely crashing the healthcare system in every major urban area and the ancillary effects of that.  

Again...your Hubris shows when you assume people disagree with you because of ignorance.  Perhaps they disagree because they are including MORE information not less in their impact calculus.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Same, hahaha Ya know @supernovasky I think it's something about your screename...(I guess the -vasky suffix? Lol)

you should read the banter thread ;) 

3 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

OK, now that is just harsh...

But still damn funny and I did get a good laugh!!! :lol:

lol sorry. i shouldnt brag. i know i'm lucky compared to others. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, supernovasky said:

That's a funnier statement than you might realize.

7 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Same, hahaha Ya know @supernovasky I think it's something about your screename...(I guess the -vasky suffix? Lol)

LOL!  OK, I admit to thinking the same about @supernovasky.  In fact, I always thought the pronunciation was like an eastern European/Russian type of name, like "Super-novAski" (imagine Gru from "Despicable Me" saying that...). Then I realized, maybe it's actually "Supernova Sky"!!  :lol:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wonderdog said:

At the end of the day, people are going to have to assess their own risk level and act accordingly. And hopefully they will continue to wash hands frequently; practice social distancing; and wear your mask when needed.

3 hours ago, Yeoman said:

Precisely

Yea that is a disaster waiting to happen.  This is not something that impacts each person individually, your decisions will impact the risk to everyone around you.  But I am not shocked that some people don't want to give up any autonomy over their decisions regardless of how they affect others around them.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

LOL!  OK, I admit to thinking the same about @supernovasky.  In fact, I always thought the pronunciation was like an eastern European/Russian type of name, like "Super-novAski" (imagine Gru from "Despicable Me" saying that...). Then I realized, maybe it's actually "Supernova Sky"!!  :lol:

Oh dang it! Now if I had read it like at the beginning I woulda made a better assumption :lol:

• Haha 1

Just now, wxtrix said:

we're doing as well as can be working from home, and I hope you can say the same.

my dad was hospitalized 2 weeks ago for pneumonia as a covid-19 complication, but he came home after a few days and seems to be OK. my mom is presumed positive too, but she's had no symptoms after nearly 20 days after my dad began shedding the virus. they're both in their 80s so it feels as if we've dodged a big bullet.

Oh, that's terrible...so sorry you all had to go through that!  But I'm glad to hear your dad came through it OK, and hope that your mom did manage to avoid symptoms despite being exposed to it.  Those are exactly the kinds of complications that make this so scary.

• mappy locked this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic