• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TuggHillRosato
    Newest Member
    TuggHillRosato

Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

Just now, TugHillMatt said:

Nope...climate sucks. lol

All places have their pros and cons though. New Yorkers are a tough people with rough exteriors...but very, very generous. Also, there are many hard workers here. Southerners tend to be more passive about getting things done and have some of the "fake" hospitality.

I was a bit snippy I apologize. I know its not often easy for people to get up and move to another location. 

I love snow but I still hate the cold springs and early summers out here. 

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

I was a bit snippy I apologize. I know its not often easy for people to get up and move to another location. 

I love snow but I still hate the cold springs and early summers out here. 

I appreciate your apology. Thanks. I wish Falls were LONGER...favorite season! (I lived in the Muskoka region of Ontario for 1.5 years...most beautiful falls and wintriest area I've ever lived!)

Just now, TugHillMatt said:

I appreciate your apology. Thanks. I wish Falls were LONGER...favorite season! (I lived in the Muskoka region of Ontario for 1.5 years...most beautiful falls and wintriest area I've ever lived!)

The falls here are fairly long as we get the SST lag with temps and snow. But we dont seem to get great color. We dont get great radiational cooling and wet and windy falls can lead to a lot of yellow and brown leaves that get blown off the trees prematurely...

10 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Theres three cases here today. We've been trying to dam up covid with our travel restrictions but things are getting more leaky. 

Curious as to erie counties cases today. I'm thinking over 1k. 

The president is starting to get desperate..This is after he reached out to the 2 Republicans that certified Wayne county MI which now they want to rescind lol But it's to late according to state law..

Two sources tell CNN there are discussions currently underway with the President about inviting Republican state legislators from Pennsylvania to the White House.

It's not clear if those invitations have been extended yet, but President Trump has expressed interest in doing so as he tries to insert himself into the vote certification process.

This would be another brazen step on the heels of Trump meeting with lawmakers from Michigan this afternoon. The deadline for counties in Pennsylvania to certify their totals is Monday

https://twitter.com/MittRomney/status/1329629701447573504?s=20

I am not putting much faith into those 95% effectiveness quotes because all the short term testing results were purely statistical.       NO ONE was actually exposed to a high load active nCV19 atmosphere and/or surface.

No.    Just two groups of equal size (40,000 each?) were given the subject vaccine or a placebo---w/o being told who got what, so that their behavior would not be influenced.      Unfortunately on that score, those who got the vaccine had low grade fever, cough, aches and lethargy for a day and would know they got the real thing.

At any rate, each group was told to keep wearing a mask, wash their hands and socially distance.        After several months of going about their lives as they were  before testing began-----it turned out that for every 10-15 placebo group subjects who at some point tested positive-----only 1 subject from the vaccinated group did.      Thus the 95% or so number arises.

All they really had to do to conclusively proof the vaccine really is effective, was to have had a third group that was actually exposed to the live virus------Here breathe deeply from the air in this bag!,    Now touch this contaminated surface with your hands and then lick one finger, stick another finger in your nose and rub your eyes with a third one!!    The eyes have been identified as a transmission venue.

Now the two vaccinated groups should have similar outcomes.

It is easy to see vaccinated people not wearing masks anymore, washing their hands no more often than they did before and not socially distancing.      No, the third group I mentioned will exist only outside the laboratory.

I did not even talk about safety issues here because there is not data for that.     Something that is going to kill 1 in 10,000 subjects over a period of a few years can not be exposed in a test of a few thousand people lasting for a few months.         All we know is that it can not be used in a Capital Punishment Execution----it works too slowly!!!

24 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

I am not putting much faith into those 95% effectiveness quotes because all the short term testing results were purely statistical.       NO ONE was actually exposed to a high load active nCV19 atmosphere and/or surface.

No.    Just two groups of equal size (40,000 each?) were given the subject vaccine or a placebo---w/o being told who got what, so that their behavior would not be influenced.      Unfortunately on that score, those who got the vaccine had low grade fever, cough, aches and lethargy for a day and would know they got the real thing.

At any rate, each group was told to keep wearing a mask, wash their hands and socially distance.        After several months of going about their lives as they were  before testing began-----it turned out that for every 10-15 placebo group subjects who at some point tested positive-----only 1 subject from the vaccinated group did.      Thus the 95% or so number arises.

All they really had to do to conclusively proof the vaccine really is effective, was to have had a third group that was actually exposed to the live virus------Here breathe deeply from the air in this bag!,    Now touch this contaminated surface with your hands and then lick one finger, stick another finger in your nose and rub your eyes with a third one!!    The eyes have been identified as a transmission venue.

Now the two vaccinated groups should have similar outcomes.

It is easy to see vaccinated people not wearing masks anymore, washing their hands no more often than they did before and not socially distancing.      No, the third group I mentioned will exist only outside the laboratory.

I did not even talk about safety issues here because there is not data for that.     Something that is going to kill 1 in 10,000 subjects over a period of a few years can not be exposed in a test of a few thousand people lasting for a few months.         All we know is that it can not be used in a Capital Punishment Execution----it works too slowly!!!

this is mRNA-based vaccine, not one where you are injected with the dead virus.

29 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

this is mRNA-based vaccine, not one where you are injected with the dead virus.

I am not talking about being vaccinated with a debilitated virus, but getting exposed from the environment the way 10's of millions have worldwide.      Isn't that what we are trying to achieve?

7 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

I am not talking about being vaccinated with a debilitated virus, but getting exposed from the environment the way 10's of millions have worldwide.      Isn't that what we are trying to achieve?

huh?

are you a virologist?

7 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

That's exactly how the trial went. These two groups of people went out into the world a few months. The placebo people got infected far more often than the vaccinated group. 

The stage 3 vaccine trial is being run like any other vaccine trial. The thing that we won't have is long term safety data for the EUA. But, basically all vaccine complications would show up in the first 6 weeks...according to Dr. Offett who is a vaccine expert on the board meeting in December. 

Hopefully as more people get it and there's no issues and it stays very effective...less people will be hesitant. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

The stage 3 vaccine trial is being run like any other vaccine trial. The thing that we won't have is long term safety data for the EUA. But, basically all vaccine complications would show up in the first 6 weeks...according to Dr. Offett who is a vaccine expert on the board meeting in December. 

Hopefully as more people get it and there's no issues and it stays very effective...less people will be hesitant. 

Do all vaccine side effects show up within 6 weeks, or are some months/years in the future? For instance measles, ebola, polio? 

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

Do all vaccine side effects show up within 6 weeks, or are some months/years in the future? For instance measles, ebola, polio? 

Idk. But here you can watch this and see what you think. He said the vast majority of them would show up early. Plus, I think you have to consider what the chance of getting sick and dying from covid as being likely much higher probability than a theoretical vaccine side effect. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Took a few months in I am legend. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

NY always has a deficit because of the insane lifelong pensions we give to government/state employees. I see people come in my office with those pensions all the time. Its INSANE what these people get after 20 years of working. No other state is even close to what New York gives out. 

I need to correct you because you obviously don’t know how the NYS Pension System is funded.  I am a retired state employee having been an engineer for the NYSDOT for 37 years.  Our pensions do not come out of the general state budget.  The pension fund is a separate fund mandated in the state constitution.  It is managed by the state comptroller and as of the latest report had a value of $226 billion.  It is the third largest public pension fund in the US and is consistently in the top 3 or 4 well funded plans.  Our pensions were won through collective bargaining.  As a whole state employees are not paid as well as their private sector counterparts.  Our pensions even the playing field after we retire.  And if you are vested in the system you can collect a pension when you retire but to maximize benefits you need 30 years, not 20 as you stated and be at least 55.  So don’t blame the pension system for state budget deficits.

https://www.osc.state.ny.us/press/releases/2020/11/nys-common-retirement-fund-reports-second-quarter-results

22 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

I need to correct you because you obviously don’t know how the NYS Pension System is funded.  I am a retired state employee having been an engineer for the NYSDOT for 37 years.  Our pensions do not come out of the general state budget.  The pension fund is a separate fund mandated in the state constitution.  It is managed by the state comptroller and as of the latest report had a value of $226 billion.  It is the third largest public pension fund in the US and is consistently in the top 3 or 4 well funded plans.  Our pensions were won through collective bargaining.  As a whole state employees are not paid as well as their private sector counterparts.  Our pensions even the playing field after we retire.  And if you are vested in the system you can collect a pension when you retire but to maximize benefits you need 30 years, not 20 as you stated and be at least 55.  So don’t blame the pension system for state budget deficits.

https://www.osc.state.ny.us/press/releases/2020/11/nys-common-retirement-fund-reports-second-quarter-results

Where does the money come from for the pensions, clearly not out of your paycheck. As it would be impossible to retire in 25 years with 10% contributions and 4k a month pension for life.

This is not all true. Police officers retire in 20 years, corrections officers 25 years, my friend at UB retires in 30 with full pension and is similar to the teachers pension.

The public industry makes more then the private unless you're in high level manangement in the private sector or highly specialized field. Almost every cop I know in Buffalo is pulling well over 6 figures a year. Town cops in Amherst/Hamburg close to 150k.

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Where does the money come from for the pensions, clearly not out of your paycheck. As it would be impossible to retire in 25 years with 10% contributions and 4k a month pension for life.

This is not all true. Police officers retire in 20 years, corrections officers 25 years, my friend at UB retires in 30 with full pension and is similar to the teachers pension.

The public industry makes more then the private unless you're in high level manangement in the private sector or highly specialized field. Almost every cop I know in Buffalo is pulling well over 6 figures a year. Town cops in Amherst/Hamburg close to 150k.

Exactly.....if you look at how much would have to be saved in a 401K to provide the rich retirement benefits state employees enjoy, you're looking at 7 figure amounts.

That's coming from the taxpayers pocket.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolfie09 said:

Donald Trump Jr., the president's eldest son, has tested positive for coronavirus, a spokesman told NBC News on Friday.

Thoughts and prayers.

21 minutes ago, cny rider said:

Exactly.....if you look at how much would have to be saved in a 401K to provide the rich retirement benefits state employees enjoy, you're looking at 7 figure amounts.

That's coming from the taxpayers pocket.

Also public employees compensation is public knowledge. You can go on the state compensation website to look at salaries. This article is from 2017 and pay rates are much higher this year. Obviously some of this includes OT, but still you should not be making 500k a year as a cop.

"Local cops in towns and counties around New York state are robbing taxpayers blind with astronomical yearly salaries — including one officer who pulled down $442,000, a new report shows."

Twenty-five of the top 50 earning workers hailed from the Nassau County PD, where the average salary was $150,000. The top earner there last year, Lt. Thomas Karp, made $333,345.

None of them, however, topped the highest paid officer in the NYPD, who made $640,000 in 2016.

https://nypost.com/2017/09/13/cops-massive-salaries-are-robbing-taxpayers-blind/

Here is one about engineers working for the states salaries. From 2016

A new report has revealed that a New York City Department of Environmental Protection worker received more than $500,000 in pay in one year — almost half of which was overtime money. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6247055/New-York-sewer-engineer-earned-500k-year-nearly-half-overtime-pay.html

You work 20-25 years. Making 250k+ a year and retire with full health benefits and a pension of 5-6k per month...Must be nice.

2 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Is this a joke?  The man said just yesterday that we’re not living in enough fear to stay alive.  

6B69EE6D-ED93-492C-88E2-06586CF168D7.jpeg

His book is a top 10 best seller. Should be entitled how to profit from others pain and misery. And also how to have the most amount of deaths of any states by far.

Just now, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Is this a joke?  The man said just yesterday that we’re not living in enough fear to stay alive.  

6B69EE6D-ED93-492C-88E2-06586CF168D7.jpeg

Believe it or not a lot of people out of state love cuomo lol Just look at his press conferences on youtube, people all over the country wishing he was their governor lol