• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

14 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

If we seceded we’d be the poorest state in the nation for our population size. NYC completely props us up and funds the dying upstate rust belt. Monroe county is one of the poorest counties in the nation for its size. Erie and Onondaga are the other two biggest counties and all three run massive deficits every single year (and we are the “good” counties upstate). We get a hell of a lot more money and resources from NYC than they get from us. I’m always shocked this isn’t obvious. Seceding would be absolute suicide for upstate.  

NY always has a deficit because of the insane lifelong pensions we give to government/state employees. I see people come in my office with those pensions all the time. Its INSANE what these people get after 20 years of working. No other state is even close to what New York gives out. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

If we split it up like Maine and Nebraska upstate would be worth a point or two..(obviously joking) lol

Counties like Westchester are in NY STATE not NYC so you couldn't just segregate them lol

If you look at the 2018 election cuomo would of still come mighty close to winning even without NYC because all the population centers in upstate side blue..

He took home wins in 13 of the state's 15 most populous counties, including each of the city's five boroughs; Erie (home to Buffalo), Monroe (home to Rochester), Onondaga (home to Syracuse) and Albany; and the four major suburban counties of Westchester, Rockland, Nassau and Suffolk.

That will change with how he handled the pandemic. Many people I know who voted for him are changing their minds. I guess we will see in 2022. Lifetime appointments should never be a thing, but that's another discussion. 

• Like 2

PA is another good example, Biden won by only 80k votes but he received over 80% of 750k votes in Philadelphia, That's all that was needed even though trump won 40 more counties lol

BTW GA is expected to certify state results today and MI/PA on Monday, if all goes according to plan that gives Biden 270+without Wi, Ari and NV..

A breakdown of the data by the real estate blog roofline.com reveals that the median property taxes paid last year by New York City residents was $5,633 compared to the national median of $2,578. Residents of three cities had stiffer tax bills: Elizabeth, N.J. (nearly $9,000); San Francisco ($7,678); and Austin, Tex., ($6,616). Adding to the sting was the Trump administration’s tax bill, which, beginning in 2018, began limiting the amount of state and local taxes that can be deducted against federal income taxes. As a result, living in expensive, high-tax states such as New York, New Jersey and Illinois became even more expensive.

Just now, wolfie09 said:

Look at nj for example, 1100 for a studio and they have a lower minimum wage..I'm renting a 3BD apartment for$899 lol Houses for rent in NJ are like 2500+ a month..

Studio apartments in New Jersey have a median of $1,084 per month, according to 2019 data from Apartment List.

In most of MA you can't rent a tent for $899 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wolfie09 said:

Look at nj for example, 1100 for a studio and they have a lower minimum wage..I'm renting a 3BD apartment for$899 lol Houses for rent in NJ are like 2500+ a month..

Studio apartments in New Jersey have a median of $1,084 per month, according to 2019 data from Apartment List.

You live in rural areas. Any towns doing well in Upstate have ridiculous prices...it adds to class structure issues. In Baldwinsville, many apartments are 1100 t0 1700 A MONTH unless you get a dumpy place or can apply for assistance. Otherwise it's just another screw-job to those of us in the middle class who can't afford ridiculous monthly rents or mortgages...we get paid "too much" for assistance, but don't make enough to live among the wealthy. I believe it's a HUGE reason people are moving out.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

You live in rural areas. Any towns doing well in Upstate have ridiculous prices...it adds to class structure issues. In Baldwinsville, many apartments are 1100 t0 1700 A MONTH unless you get a dumpy place or can apply for assistance. Otherwise it's just another screw-job to those of us in the middle class who can't afford ridiculous monthly rents or mortgages...we get paid "too much" for assistance, but don't make enough to live among the wealthy. I believe it's a HUGE reason people are moving out.

Yeah the average home price in Hamburg is $200-300k. Go in the city and its less. The suburbs around here are exploding in prices. 

• Like 2

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah I think this data is old. The average there is likely $1500+? 

Home prices have risen so fast that it has driven the cost to rent an apartment to record highs. I think it is likely over $1500. A good rental place in my area is at least 2 K. And that may or may not include parking. 

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

NY always has a deficit because of the insane lifelong pensions we give to government/state employees. I see people come in my office with those pensions all the time. Its INSANE what these people get after 20 years of working. No other state is even close to what New York gives out. 

NY never has a deficit, because states can't run budget deficits.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

How else would you allocate a desired resource, like nice apartments, if not by price?

Serious question.

• Like 1

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic