• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

10 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump claimed during a White House briefing on Thursday that the Food and Drug Administration had approved the "very powerful" drug chloroquine to treat coronavirus.

Chloroquine is used to treat malaria, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.
"It's shown very encouraging -- very, very encouraging early results. And we're going to be able to make that drug available almost immediately. And that's where the FDA has been so great. They -- they've gone through the approval process; it's been approved. And they did it -- they took it down from many, many months to immediate. So we're going to be able to make that drug available by prescription or states," Trump said.
He added: "Normally the FDA would take a long time to approve something like that, and it's -- it was approved very, very quickly and it's now approved, by prescription."

Facts First: Chloroquine has not been approved by the FDA to treat the coronavirus -- and nor has any other drug, the FDA made clear in a post-briefing statement that said "there are no FDA-approved therapeutics or drugs to treat, cure or prevent COVID-19." Because chloroquine has been approved for other purposes, doctors are legally allowed to prescribe it for the unapproved or "off-label" use of treating the coronavirus if they want. But its safety and effectiveness has not been proven with regard to the coronavirus. FDA Commissioner Dr. Stephen Hahn, speaking after Trump at the briefing, said that chloroquine would be tested through a "large, pragmatic clinical trial" with coronavirus patients.
The FDA said in the statement that it is working with government and academic entities that are investigating whether chloroquine can be used "to treat patients with mild-to-moderate COVID-19 to potentially reduce the duration of symptoms, as well as viral shedding, which can help prevent the spread of disease."
Studies are underway. Hahn emphasized that this study process is necessary even though the coronavirus situation is urgent.
"We also must ensure these products are effective; otherwise we risk treating patients with a product that might not work when they could have pursued other, more appropriate, treatments," Hahn said in the statement.
Pharmaceutical company Bayer announced on Thursday that it is donating 3 million tablets of its chloroquine phosphate drug, sold under the name Resochin, to the US government.
"New data from initial preclinical and evolving clinical research conducted in China, while limited, shows potential for the use of Resochin in treating patients with COVID-19 infection," Bayer said in a statement

If you clink the link that this fact checking article cites it appears that they contradict themselves. Nowhere do I see where it says that Trump claimed the FDA approved its use for Covid-19, he said he was working with the FDA to fast track it. If I’m wrong I’ll eat my words but I’m so tired of this bullshit. 

edit. Read the whitehouse transcript and I’ll eat my words. Still tired of bullshit politics during the greatest threat to society since WW2. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

If you clink the link that this fact checking article cites it appears that they contradict themselves. Nowhere do I see where it says that Trump claimed the FDA approved its use for Covid-19, he said he was working with the FDA to fast track it. If I’m wrong I’ll eat my words but I’m so tired of this bullshit. 

edit. Read the whitehouse transcript and I’ll eat my words. Still tired of bullshit politics during the greatest threat to society since WW2. 

Well that's tough when you have the worst President in our countries history in office. I mean come on now...

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/17/how-trump-shifted-his-tone-on-coronavirus-134246

What a real president says.

http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/5057/

• Like 2

A vote to advance the massive coronavirus stimulus bill failed on Sunday night in the Senate, as negotiations so far had yet to produce a deal on the more than trillion-dollar aid package.

Republicans, who needed 60 votes to move forward on the bill, weren't able to win over any Democrats to proceed, meaning that no aid will flow to the economy — including checks to individuals, help for small businesses and bailouts for big corporations — until a deal is reached.

Continue reading

13 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

A vote to advance the massive coronavirus stimulus bill failed on Sunday night in the Senate, as negotiations so far had yet to produce a deal on the more than trillion-dollar aid package.

Republicans, who needed 60 votes to move forward on the bill, weren't able to win over any Democrats to proceed, meaning that no aid will flow to the economy — including checks to individuals, help for small businesses and bailouts for big corporations — until a deal is reached.

Continue reading

2 year limit on stock buybacks and limit on executive bonuses. Also keeping employees "to the extent possible" is tough to get around as most places in the USA have "at will" employment. We also have one of the worst workers rights in any first world country. However,  I can see why it got vetoed. It will likely get passed sometime in the next few days as revisions are added. Something needs to be done.

https://www.ituc-csi.org/IMG/pdf/ituc-global-rights-index-2018-en-final-2.pdf

• Like 1

OSWEGO, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — As COVID-19 continues to spread throughout Central New York, it was only a matter of time until Oswego County saw its first case of the virus.

In a press release on Sunday, Oswego County announced its first two cases of the coronavirus.

No other information was released about the two people who contracted the virus.

The release states that Oswego county has tested just over 100 people, 50 of the results have come back negative, two tests came back as positive and the county is still waiting on results from more than 50 tests

Also a wintry morning in the northern Catskills this morning.  27° and snowy roads (until I get near the Susquehanna valley).  About an inch by 5:30am.  They’re saying 4-8” above 1,600ft and my house is at about 1,700ft so we’ll see!  After this winter, I would have preferred to just get rain today.  6” on mud in late March will just be a figurative kick in the you-know-what.   

I’m fairly certain I’m starting to see grass greening up in sunny/wet spots in the valleys already.  

25 minutes ago, winter_rules said:

Also a wintry morning in the northern Catskills this morning.  27° and snowy roads (until I get near the Susquehanna valley).  About an inch by 5:30am.  They’re saying 4-8” above 1,600ft and my house is at about 1,700ft so we’ll see!  After this winter, I would have preferred to just get rain today.  6” on mud in late March will just be a figurative kick in the you-know-what.   

I’m fairly certain I’m starting to see grass greening up in sunny/wet spots in the valleys already.  

I'm about 800' in the southern Catskills. Round 1 for us is wrapping up, and at my elevation I'm expecting to warm up to rain/mixing by afternoon. Good luck up there.

11 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Hit 100 inches for the season ?

I'm thinking of going to Oswego  with my friends this summer. Anything fun to do up there ?

I guess it depends where you go..The city of Oswego offers a little more"night life" , restaurants, bars, strip clubs etc...

Up here in the northern part of the county it's more about fishing (salmon river) , hunting and other out door recreation..This area is like time square in oct-nov as everyone comes up to steal our salmon lol

Damn bro , stay strong..

Take advantage of as many relief programs as you can..

Like mortgage relief, call your lender and let them know, I'm pretty sure they have to work with you..

Obviously unemployment can compensate for some (about 60% of your gross pay)..

Things will get better, hopefully sooner rather than later..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Well this virus just hit me hard. My wife works in bankruptcy as a paralegal. NYS canceled all foreclosures for 90 days so she just got laid off for at least a few months. She's been there for 7 years with no layoffs. 

That sucks.  Best wishes, and like Wolfie said...take advantage of whatever programs that are out there.

• Like 1