• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Local TV Met discussion about the storm

I will make a blanket statement and say that most NYC TV Weather Casters are useless that includes local cable TV stations. However the better Mets and worth turning into are Lee Goldberg, Bill Evans, Jeff Smith, Nick Gregory and Craig Allan who at least try there best to put a good product out there. Best All around MET TV or Radio hands down is Allan Kasper on NJ 101.5

Merry Christmas !!

I will make a blanket statement and say that most NYC TV Weather Casters are useless that includes local cable TV stations. However the better Mets and worth turning into are Lee Goldberg, Bill Evans, Jeff Smith, Nick Gregory and Craig Allan who at least try there best to put a good product out there. Best All around MET TV or Radio hands down is Allan Kasper on NJ 101.5

Merry Christmas !!

I like Jeff Smith - he's articulate and seems to know what he's talking about.

because alot of these mets want to see some more model consensus 4 days out from the event. Yes the euro shows big hit but the other models while close are a bit off shore. Goldberg is one of the better mets. There is no sense in them hyping huge slams as sure things this far out because this is not a sure thing at all

He didn't give one. Is he even a Met? I know bill evans is... but he's sam champion's understudy i thought... not actual meteorologists?

Lee Goldberg is a Cornell grad who majored in meteorology. I stopped by their department once in 1999 (happened to be in the area) and one thing I noticed is that the elevator to get up to the 11th floor I remember was very unreliable.

I am sure he can give reasons, but the audience are not meteorologists who understand the difference between the NAM, ECMWF and the ensembles.

personally I favor Mr. G on 101.1 WCBSFM in NY. He seems to almost always get it right. This morning he said chance of snow...good one at that but if he had to guess it would be on the lighter side though he said that with caution highlighting the large spread which still existed at that time. I would imagine with the way the 12z and 18z guidance have shifted and that the early 00'z will likely make the 11 news the media will really go big at 11 and also in the morning.

WUSA9 in DC-

There is a big storm in the Southwest U.S. and we will track this storms as it moves east. The timing is a bit later now so it could snow Sunday and possibly into Monday morning. It will stay cold for at least the next week.

WJLA in DC-

The weekend ahead is where the uncertainty lies. It appears the debut of a possible winter storm will be pushed back to the Sunday night/Monday morning timeframe. Christmas Day should feature increasing clouds through the afternoon with colder than normal highs in the mid to upper 30s. An area of low pressure is expected to develop over the Gulf of Mexico Saturday, transitioning to the Atlantic through the day Sunday and intensifying as it moves up the East Coast Sunday night into Monday morning. The exact track of this system is still in question and will determine the amount of snowfall the D.C. area could get. If the low goes too far east, the region could see nothing; if it goes further west, there could be the potential of accumulating snowfall. It is just too early to determine the exact track, but in the next couple of days we will be able to narrow it down considerably, so stay tuned to our latest reports on ABC7 and TBD as well as our radio reports around the clock on WTOP Radio.

personally I favor Mr. G on 101.1 WCBSFM in NY. He seems to almost always get it right. This morning he said chance of snow...good one at that but if he had to guess it would be on the lighter side though he said that with caution highlighting the large spread which still existed at that time. I would imagine with the way the 12z and 18z guidance have shifted and that the early 00'z will likely make the 11 news the media will really go big at 11 and also in the morning.

I like how he always outlines the scenarios showing a graphic with the 2 possible tracks and what would happen, alot of the other TV Mets only speak of the tracks and don't necesarilly put up that graphic.

WUSA9 in DC-

There is a big storm in the Southwest U.S. and we will track this storms as it moves east. The timing is a bit later now so it could snow Sunday and possibly into Monday morning. It will stay cold for at least the next week.

WJLA in DC-

The weekend ahead is where the uncertainty lies. It appears the debut of a possible winter storm will be pushed back to the Sunday night/Monday morning timeframe. Christmas Day should feature increasing clouds through the afternoon with colder than normal highs in the mid to upper 30s. An area of low pressure is expected to develop over the Gulf of Mexico Saturday, transitioning to the Atlantic through the day Sunday and intensifying as it moves up the East Coast Sunday night into Monday morning. The exact track of this system is still in question and will determine the amount of snowfall the D.C. area could get. If the low goes too far east, the region could see nothing; if it goes further west, there could be the potential of accumulating snowfall. It is just too early to determine the exact track, but in the next couple of days we will be able to narrow it down considerably, so stay tuned to our latest reports on ABC7 and TBD as well as our radio reports around the clock on WTOP Radio.

I commented in another thread, Doug Hill, lead Met for WJLA, said at 4:08 on one of his radio updates that he favors, as this time, the models showing the weaker/out to sea solutions rather than the heavy snowfall depiction. This was NOT a forecast. But clearly the direction he was leaning at this time

Steve DiMartino hyping the storm to over 2 feet with mega bomb snowing until Tuesday...how irresponsible is that. This guy was WRONG last week with the storm, holding out hope and pushing it even though the models empahtically said NO. Obviously trying to get some hits on his pay sites. Not saying his analysis does not have merit in theory but whether it is likely is another story. I have not seen one met on this board talk like that. He is hyping the tristate board to weenie orgasm,

I commented in another thread, Doug Hill, lead Met for WJLA, said at 4:08 on one of his radio updates that he favors, as this time, the models showing the weaker/out to sea solutions rather than the heavy snowfall depiction. This was NOT a forecast. But clearly the direction he was leaning at this time

Yeah, but I think it's hard for anyone to favor a storm when only ONE model shows a decent hit. I know all of the models are trending toward the EURO and the EURO has been so consistent, but it makes me nervous that only one model shows a hit. And we're still far out from the storm.

We'll see...

Steve DiMartino hyping the storm to over 2 feet with mega bomb snowing until Tuesday...how irresponsible is that. This guy was WRONG last week with the storm, holding out hope and pushing it even though the models empahtically said NO. Obviously trying to get some hits on his pay sites. Not saying his analysis does not have merit in theory but whether it is likely is another story. I have not seen one met on this board talk like that. He is hyping the tristate board to weenie orgasm,

It sucks to be alone on a limb like that, Irresponsible is putting it lightly.

I watched his videos last week, I don't recall him doing that....he said even 2 days before the event that he honestly did not know what was going to occur and 4-5 days before said he was going with nothing inland and saying just a chance for snow on the coast and that given the La Nina he was leaning towards off the coast at that time.

Archived