• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

Nice share BW, great discussion.

Somethings gotta give if we’re ever gonna salvage this winter. Was looking back to this time last year and looks like we were in the same boat with a hit and miss start to winter. Pattern started to swing this week last year with some synoptic storms, much like we are seeing this week this year as well. Then the GFS popped this fantasy multi day lake effect blizzard at 360 hours. We laughed it off as the models were sucking just as bad last year. Ended up verifying almost perfectly.
d80dc4a2adff34868a4a24f10024f40c.jpg

We’re overdue for a long range fantasy storm to lock in and verify. Nothings been sticking run to run yet but getting some interesting looks. Last run try’s to develop a lake effect event.
f8db1f2f6a16e70580a1a47ea0c682f7.jpg
386503330f735ca0927da47509f4269f.jpg

Lake Erie is at 38, 4 degrees above average. The western basin still has a nice pool of 40 degree plus in place. Will take a hit this weekend for sure but nice to still have the lake in play again going into late January.

The Pacific has basically ruined our Winter and theres a pretty simple explanation if ya can follow me.  OHweather did a good job of explaining the MJO, but he didn't mention the consistent forcing thats been present for the past 4-6wks displaced just East of the DL right around 140-160W and this, in turn, has allowed the mean trough to remain off shore across the N.ATL for the same amt of time, and its not changing. If the forcing I'm talking about had been displaced the other way, then we'd be sitting pretty but thats the weather and perhaps the wicked drought conditions across Australia have had an effect across the Trop Pac, who knows!  Hawaii has had a trough over them for the past 6 weeks and usually its to their East, but not this yr.  Not saying it can't or won't snow, I'm just saying those who were hoping on a pattern change, including JB, have to wait a couple to a few weeks longer.  I never really see the MJO getting to phase 8- 1 or 2 but it does get into 7 briefly so unless the Trop Pac changes, and does so quickly, then I don't think Winter makes an appearance the whole season and when it did in Nov, it was Fall and go look where the forcing was in Nov, lol!

IR satellite animation

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Nice share BW, great discussion.

Somethings gotta give if we’re ever gonna salvage this winter. Was looking back to this time last year and looks like we were in the same boat with a hit and miss start to winter. Pattern started to swing this week last year with some synoptic storms, much like we are seeing this week this year as well. Then the GFS popped this fantasy multi day lake effect blizzard at 360 hours. We laughed it off as the models were sucking just as bad last year. Ended up verifying almost perfectly.
d80dc4a2adff34868a4a24f10024f40c.jpg

We’re overdue for a long range fantasy storm to lock in and verify. Nothings been sticking run to run yet but getting some interesting looks. Last run try’s to develop a lake effect event.
f8db1f2f6a16e70580a1a47ea0c682f7.jpg
386503330f735ca0927da47509f4269f.jpg

Lake Erie is at 38, 4 degrees above average. The western basin still has a nice pool of 40 degree plus in place. Will take a hit this weekend for sure but nice to still have the lake in play again going into late January.

This year the setup is much different. I actually called that LES event last year 2 weeks ahead of time. The entry point of the cold air does not feature something similar to last year. Even if we get the cold, which will be sporadic, not consistent. The winds will be W/NW. Maybe at the very end of Jan/early feb we see a change but until then it will be quite boring by mid january standards.

So basically this cold we are getting won't last and we might as well stick a fork in this "winter"?

5 hours ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

The Pacific has basically ruined our Winter and theres a pretty simple explanation if ya can follow me.  OHweather did a good job of explaining the MJO, but he didn't mention the consistent forcing thats been present for the past 4-6wks displaced just East of the DL right around 140-160W and this, in turn, has allowed the mean trough to remain off shore across the N.ATL for the same amt of time, and its not changing. If the forcing I'm talking about had been displaced the other way, then we'd be sitting pretty but thats the weather and perhaps the wicked drought conditions across Australia have had an effect across the Trop Pac, who knows!  Hawaii has had a trough over them for the past 6 weeks and usually its to their East, but not this yr.  Not saying it can't or won't snow, I'm just saying those who were hoping on a pattern change, including JB, have to wait a couple to a few weeks longer.  I never really see the MJO getting to phase 8- 1 or 2 but it does get into 7 briefly so unless the Trop Pac changes, and does so quickly, then I don't think Winter makes an appearance the whole season and when it did in Nov, it was Fall and go look where the forcing was in Nov, lol!

IR satellite animation

.WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM THURSDAY TO 5 AM
EST FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 4 to 8
  inches. Winds gusting as high as 35 mph.

* WHERE...Oswego county.

* WHEN...From 1 AM Thursday to 5 AM EST Friday.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be difficult. Areas of blowing snow could
  significantly reduce visibility. The hazardous conditions could
  impact the morning or evening commute. The cold wind chills as
  low as 15 to 20 below zero late Thursday night could result in
  hypothermia if precautions are not taken.
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Looks like the nws is going with the hrw models..That's a dangerous game lol

StormTotalSnowWeb (23).png

They discussed a more widespread LES hybrid for Thursday with higher ratios as temps plummet...this actually looks plausible...on another note the local met in buffalo showed the euro output for Sat-sun and it was at 4.1" at KBUF and the GFS was 7"...the difference in reading is the timing of the cold air Saturday night...gfs is right, more snow, euro slower, less snow.

1 hour ago, wolfie09 said:

.WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM THURSDAY TO 5 AM
EST FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 4 to 8
  inches. Winds gusting as high as 35 mph.

* WHERE...Oswego county.

* WHEN...From 1 AM Thursday to 5 AM EST Friday.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be difficult. Areas of blowing snow could
  significantly reduce visibility. The hazardous conditions could
  impact the morning or evening commute. The cold wind chills as
  low as 15 to 20 below zero late Thursday night could result in
  hypothermia if precautions are not taken.

I actually am confident we eclipse the 4" mark tomorrow!

• Like 1