Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
January 2020 Discussion

Torch Tiger

1 hour ago, PowderBeard said:

I hope you get it but almost wonder if you would have more luck with a sneaky Norland? Parts of coastal Maine from Camden to MDI have got a couple in the past decade that put down 6-12".

The king of Norluns came on March 21, 1992.  Lived in Gardiner then and was surprised to find a totally un-forecast 2" that morning, then learned that PWM got 11" and Kennebunkport up to 24, most falling in a 4-hour period.

1 hour ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

No water skiing, it's been warm enough lately. You're a miserable troll. Non skier posting garbage.

Low dews and cooling temps - they'll probably groom the man-made and conditions will be decent.  That stuff is almost bulletproof - can remember night skiing at Vernon Valley (NNJ) in late March when daytime temps had been in the 50s.  Not the greatest but being a beginner it didn't matter that much to me.

10 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Low dews and cooling temps - they'll probably groom the man-made and conditions will be decent.  That stuff is almost bulletproof - can remember night skiing at Vernon Valley (NNJ) in late March when daytime temps had been in the 50s.  Not the greatest but being a beginner it didn't matter that much to me.

That's mostly what we have around here, machine groomed granular. Packed powder conditions are not the norm even in a good snow season. Lots of thaws and rain are what happens here. 2018-2019 was like that, tons of snow North of the MA/VT and NH border. Lots of rain here.

Mount Snow and North is where you can expect powdery snow conditions. Non skiers don't understand that man made snow is very durable. It can be made wet and dense.

I'm formerly from NYC and learned to ski at VV/GG. I had some really bad ski days there. Lots of unedgable ice.

4 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

That's mostly what we have around here, machine groomed granular. Packed powder conditions are not the norm even in a good snow season. Lots of thaws and rain are what happens here. 2018-2019 was like that, tons of snow North of the MA/VT and NH border. Lots of rain here.

Mount Snow and North is where you can expect powdery snow conditions. Non skiers don't understand that man made snow is very durable. It can be made wet and dense.

That's because it's not really snow, but very tiny IP (unless the process has changed drastically) and like natural IP the ratio is more like 3:1 than the 10:1 default for flakes.

Just now, tamarack said:

That's because it's not really snow, but very tiny IP (unless the process has changed drastically) and like natural IP the ratio is more like 3:1 than the 10:1 default for flakes.

Without it, we would probably only have about a month of very limited skiing here. Real or not, it's more durable than the natural stuff. Sundown makes 3' + on most runs. And we ski here from late November to April 1st.

On 1/29/2020 at 8:21 AM, Baroclinic Zone said:

+6.7F thru the 28th. Should wrap up the month above +6F.  Gotta be in the top 5 warmest months

ORH is at +7.1F going into today.  +7 is certainly possible.  Currently at around 60% of normal precip.   Almost half of what fell came on Saturday night

So ready to turn the page.  This month has sucked in many facets, not just weather

• Confused 1

41 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

ORH is at +7.1F going into today.  +7 is certainly possible.  Currently at around 60% of normal precip.   Almost half of what fell came on Saturday night

So ready to turn the page.  This month has sucked in many facets, not just weather

if loving this winter is wrong I never want to be right, besides the cold second half Nov/Dec., it's perfect