• Member Statistics

    15,773
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    mansour
    Newest Member
    mansour
    Joined
Steve

“Let’s Talk Winter”

Recommended Posts

So, uhhh, it's 57F in CMH right now...back to back days.  I'm not holding my breath for the forecasted 1-3" of snow tonight, even with cold air crashing in.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, JayPSU said:

So, uhhh, it's 57F in CMH right now...back to back days.  I'm not holding my breath for the forecasted 1-3" of snow tonight, even with cold air crashing in.     

Wow! It’s only 47 here in Powell 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, JayPSU said:

So, uhhh, it's 57F in CMH right now...back to back days.  I'm not holding my breath for the forecasted 1-3" of snow tonight, even with cold air crashing in.     

I wouldn't be too concerned temp-wise. FWA went from 40° to 30° like it saw a state trooper this morning.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, JayPSU said:

So, uhhh, it's 57F in CMH right now...back to back days.  I'm not holding my breath for the forecasted 1-3" of snow tonight, even with cold air crashing in.     

someone needs to fix the lock...

...it doesn't seem to want to hold for very long.   Oh well, it's about to lock-in again here in a few hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

I wouldn't be too concerned temp-wise. FWA went from 40° to 30° like it saw a state trooper this morning.

I'm just not seeing this event as one that warrants a WWA.  Though it almost seems like Columbus is required to be in one for the first dusting of each year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JayPSU said:

I'm just not seeing this event as one that warrants a WWA.  Though it almost seems like Columbus is required to be in one for the first dusting of each year.

Yeah, in mid-winter, a 2" snow would not warrant an Advisory. However, our NWS office has made it clear that they will always issue a WWA with the first snow that sticks to roads every due to the amnesia that drivers seem to experience every year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The cold air is impressive for this time of year to stick to the roads in the daytime in the manner it has. Most of the time it is just slush lol. When it comes down, it comes down hard, inch a hour type of stuff. CMH special like.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Looks like a couple inches... Amazing similarities almost exactly 5 years ago to the day.

So since everyone loves analogs, what was winter 14'-15' like?

About 3 here. If memory serves me correctly, that winter stunk around here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to admit, I didn't think we'd see the two inches or so that we got.  That said, it mostly accumulated on the grass.  Roads in the neighborhood were a crusty mess.  It's too early for this.  Looks like we go back to normal'ish November weather for the rest of the month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JayPSU said:

Have to admit, I didn't think we'd see the two inches or so that we got.  That said, it mostly accumulated on the grass.  Roads in the neighborhood were a crusty mess.  It's too early for this.  Looks like we go back to normal'ish November weather for the rest of the month.

Amen...

I checked and the 6z gfs has our first peek at Thanksgiving day and we're close to 60 degrees :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, buckeye said:

Looks like a couple inches... Amazing similarities almost exactly 5 years ago to the day.

So since everyone loves analogs, what was winter 14'-15' like?

It was cold and dry here in Eastern WI. Boring winter forsure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well a month ago I went the Longmont, CO and jumped right into the core of winter with single digits/teens temps and 8" of snow. Now tomorrow supposed to fly to Manchester, NH then drive down to Bedford, MA for meetings all week, and yea 12 to 18" is due there by this time tomorrow!  :wacko:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2019 at 2:53 PM, HighTechEE said:

Well a month ago I went the Longmont, CO and jumped right into the core of winter with single digits/teens temps and 8" of snow. Now tomorrow supposed to fly to Manchester, NH then drive down to Bedford, MA for meetings all week, and yea 12 to 18" is due there by this time tomorrow!  :wacko:

Ok guys, by some miracle we made it up here on time yesterday, sparing you the details, topped out about 15" here in Bedford, MA. Which means I've been through two major winter storms over the past month, none of which was in Ohio!!!!  BTW just 40 miles NW of here got 27".

20191203_093815_sm.jpg

20191203_111940_sm.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, buckeye said:

all obvious caveats aside....  time of year, geography, and lead time....

...there's a pretty impressive signal from the euro and gfs ensembles of an OV threat day 10.    Notable because of the agreement across models this far out.   

Just once....one of these to come to fruition 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, iluvsnow said:

One such scenario.....

20191205_070215.jpg

 

2 hours ago, pondo1000 said:

Just once....one of these to come to fruition 

 

I'd be real leery of getting burned by a d10 suppression scenario off the GFS - just sayin'. But ok, Memphis is going from zero winter to 2 feet..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2019 at 9:42 AM, buckeye said:

all obvious caveats aside....  time of year, geography, and lead time....

...there's a pretty impressive signal from the euro and gfs ensembles of an OV threat day 10.    Notable because of the agreement across models this far out.   

Oh well, so much for consensus.    Also. starting to look like a fairly boring...aka average...December setting up. 

 Lots of dreary gray days with temps  in the 30s and 40s.   Probably a few post-cutter nickels and dimes as well.   

Actually glad to see the depth of these Arctic shots muting as lead time shortens.  We're so back logged with work the last thing I need right now is the ground freezing up. 

 Get us to December 24th and then crank up the snow machine!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.