• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall/Early Winter 2019 Forecasts and Discussion

32 minutes ago, canderson said:

Yah, Wednesday and Thursday brings all the cold air we needed the past two days. I'm shocked. 

We are pretty much punting the first 1/3 of winter if the long range models are correct so we better enjoy this cold weather the rest of the week.  And please no winter has not started yet replies, LOL...winter is 17 days old and will be 1/3 over when the turn to 2020.  December is more Winter than March.

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

We are pretty much punting the first 1/3 of winter if the long range models are correct so we better enjoy this cold weather the rest of the week.  And please no winter has not started yet replies, LOL...winter is 17 days old and will be 1/3 over when the turn to 2020.  December is more Winter than March.

March has outperformed December for several years now.   For cold and snow. 

• Like 1

Just now, daxx said:

March has outperformed December for several years now.   For cold and snow. 

It's just not the same to me.  In March the end is near and there is little chance of keeping a snow pack in March.  I guess I get irritated when I see the posts, on Dec 17th, that winter has not started yet.  They are just folks trying to make the bad news hurt less.  LOL.  It makes it worse that I read dozens of no nothing tweets, copied over to the MA thread, from amateur Met's who said we would be rockin' right now.  I think some of the posts just from a couple weeks ago suggested we were heading into one of our best patterns in years.  

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

It's just not the same to me.  In March the end is near and there is little chance of keeping a snow pack in March.  I guess I get irritated when I see the posts, on Dec 17th, that winter has not started yet.  They are just folks trying to make the bad news hurt less.  LOL.  It makes it worse that I read dozens of no nothing tweets, copied over to the MA thread, from amateur Met's who said we would be rockin' right now.  I think some of the posts just from a couple weeks ago suggested we were heading into one of our best patterns in years.  

I guess winter is just about shot in the ass. Bring on winter 20-21!

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

1 hour ago, daxx said:

I guess winter is just about shot in the ass. Bring on winter 20-21!

Daxx is right about March snow. Numbers don't lie.

Bubbler, I agree with you in the sense that I'd much rather have snow now than in March IF I HAD THE CHOICE. I'll take snow any day, any time. But for pack preservation I want snow from mid December through the end of January. Again...that's if I can order it up. :) 

20 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Bubbler, I agree with you in the sense that I'd much rather have snow now than in March IF I HAD THE CHOICE. I'll take snow any day, any time. But for pack preservation I want snow from mid December through the end of January. Again...that's if I can order it up. :) 

And just to clarify I am not at all saying "winter is over".  LOL  But I have seen a lot of "Winter has not even started" posts (mostly in MA) and I do not agree with that concept which would suggest that March 20th is a more wintry time than Dec 20th. 

It's just not a good sign when long rangers are talking about sustained cold finally getting here in mid January a week or two after posting how great the upcoming late December pattern was going to be.  

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Wow.....already.

While I prefer December snow to set the mood, Meteoroligically, our region will take the first 2 weeks of March any day over Dec for the atmospheric ease for it to snow. Stats likely prove that as well.  
We’ve had how many December blizzards/nor’easters?

yeah this storm sucked, but please not already guys.  Just go outside and punt your blow up Santa. You’ll feel much better. ;)

18 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

And just to clarify I am not at all saying "winter is over".  LOL  But I have seen a lot of "Winter has not even started" posts (mostly in MA) and I do not agree with that concept which would suggest that March 20th is a more wintry time than Dec 20th. 

It's just not a good sign when long rangers are talking about sustained cold finally getting here in mid January a week or two after posting how great the upcoming late December pattern was going to be.  

I know what you're saying.

I think...a lot of people are overly nervous and it's somewhat understandable. Last year the perfect pattern seemed to be in the 10-14 day range, and for weeks it never got any closer. So now this year it was looking like a good pattern was imminent and now some respected posters are saying it might be mid-January until things break our way. And given what happened last year...

Winter is alive and well. I believe strongly we're going to have a solid season. I 100% do. Right now we need some patience and that can be kind of hard for some....

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

I know what you're saying.

I think...a lot of people are overly nervous and it's somewhat understandable. Last year the perfect pattern seemed to be in the 10-14 day range, and for weeks it never got any closer. So now this year it was looking like a good pattern was imminent and now some respected posters are saying it might be mid-January until things break our way. And given what happened last year...

Winter is alive and well. I believe strongly we're going to have a solid season. I 100% do. Right now we need some patience and that can be kind of hard for some....

Not nervous here just pointing out that the models have punted the next two-three weeks as to showing a pattern conducive to winter weather here.   Maybe the punt returner will fumble and we will get the ball back sooner than we think (re: the models are still wrong).

One thing I want to say: 

Most if not all of us are here because we love snow. It's a shared passion of the chase, the euphoria that comes with the storm itself, and the exhaustion that follows thereafter. Most of us can relate to that in some way...

At the same time, we're all very different. Some want early snow followed by early spring. Some want wall to wall winter. Some want many light to moderate snowfalls while others would exchange it all for a big crushing. Some love to watch it fall and some want to see it on the ground for weeks and weeks.

No one is more right or more wrong than the next person. We all things that WE want...and that's okay. We can all respect what others want.

Me? I want snow cover. I want it to stick around for a good long time. That means if I could choose between a 30" snowstorm or a 20" storm with a few hours of sleet on top...give me the latter please. Because...it will last. But that's me, your mileage will vary.

Enjoy the ride guys...it's the only ride we have. 

• Like 1

I have been here since 2015. Haven't seen a correct or close to correct long rang forecast made yet .Long range is the biggest joke in weather forcasting .  My honest opinion is most here seem to be letting there passion muck up the reality's truths and failures of winter, and worse of all lie about the weather they are experiencing to validate there stupid predictions. See it in here daily.  I hate liars with a passion to the end of the earth and back. This is my forum just as much as it is yours hippys.Taint made it to the NY border with some lightning and thunder in or area Did it not boys. What could a dumb redneck holding a catfish that hates computer base forcasting possibility know right boys. Some of you are just plain jokesters guessing your way through with a big  weather vocabulary .  Only few of us are true weather enthusiast  , The others just seem drunk and bored to me. I originally came to be friendly if you can believe that. You guys have  chased out opinions you didn't like in the past but your not dealing with a computer age hippy this time.

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

One thing I want to say: 

Most if not all of us are here because we love snow. It's a shared passion of the chase, the euphoria that comes with the storm itself, and the exhaustion that follows thereafter. Most of us can relate to that in some way...

At the same time, we're all very different. Some want early snow followed by early spring. Some want wall to wall winter. Some want many light to moderate snowfalls while others would exchange it all for a big crushing. Some love to watch it fall and some want to see it on the ground for weeks and weeks.

No one is more right or more wrong than the next person. We all things that WE want...and that's okay. We can all respect what others want.

Me? I want snow cover. I want it to stick around for a good long time. That means if I could choose between a 30" snowstorm or a 20" storm with a few hours of sleet on top...give me the latter please. Because...it will last. But that's me, your mileage will vary.

Just like JB says, “enjoy the weather, it’s the only weather you’ve got “.

I love tracking everything from heavy coatings to historic blizzards, and everything in between.  

You stated this so well. I too am into winter storm tracking for the “shared passion of the chase & the euphoria that comes with the storm itself”.

I love the challenge of attempting to exceed our climo average snow for the season. Some years we get there easily  & other years we need a last second Hail Mary storm to get us over the top. It’s always interesting to see how our winter unfolds each season. 

We all would love to score snow consistently from mid November to early April, but it is extremely rare to get one of those top 10 type of seasons. In reality, during most years, even in good snow seasons, we experience snow droughts that last a few weeks. In the good years, we don’t remember the non-wintry periods, we just celebrate the glory of the good snow. 

Our time will come, we just need a little patience...

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

One thing I want to say: 

Great points.  Just reminding some that this IS a forum to discuss weather, both good and bad.  Its rather loose in here, but if you just want to be a Debbie, i'm asking you to start a banter thread for it.  If you want to Debbie AND say why for all to discuss, then keep it here.  Thats what we are here for.  Usually for every argument, there is often a counter argument.  Thats what makes the forum click and what the thread is for.

Take last night, I thought based on pattern/models, and knowing the tendencies therein,  the mesos would be correcting colder (and they did, but not enough), and for that I went on a limb and thought more frozen would verify (part 2).  It did in some areas.  Others, notsomuch.  I come here to discuss, and can be wrong just like the next guy, but at least I offer my reasons for my stance....right or wrong.  Anyone coming in here w/ definitive tones, should know better with this sport. 

Rant over, but winter is not....technically its yet to start.  Into next week looks to warm w/ ridging building in the east, and trough dumping into SW.  Beyond Christmas (if one believes LR guidance signs of that breaking down start to emerge).  For those that think LR guidance is bunk, please feel free to share whatever else you have to offer.  

MJO is low amplitude

NAO/AO still somewhat negative, albeit less than current.

PNA headed towards neutral from negative.  

Points I'm making is that no indicie is the sole driving faction for the good or bad to where we are headed.  Furthermore, the base state is notably different than last year, so to say "here we go again" might end up right, but for the wrong reasons. 

I'm not hear to be snarky w/ ANYone, and consider us a pretty cool group, but I come here to discuss, learn, and have some fun along the way.  I hope that most of you know my style and appreciate my stance.

Please start a banter thread.  EVERY other forum/subforum has them.  

Thanks

Non Management Weather Weenie

• Like 1

Santa's driving summary for today.  (I'm in sales and am old school, and like to see my big accounts to say thank you w/ chocolates and fun stuff.)

Santa's route:

Etown (icy)

Middletown(a little less icy)

Mechanicsburg (not much of anything)

Shippensburg (see pics from ealier - todays winner for my route)

Duncannon - mountaintop icing

Selinsgrove - mountaintop icing

Lewisburg - ditto

Danville - a little icier

Bloomsburg - icy

then through Centralia to Minersville and down 81 to just above Pine Grove (icy and snowing lightly once on 81) 

Pine grove to Myerstown (rather icy on trees)

Home - natsomuchofanything

294 miles and I'd say I78-81 corridor did the best.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Great points.  Just reminding some that this IS a forum to discuss weather, both good and bad.  Its rather loose in here, but if you just want to be a Debbie, i'm asking you to start a banter thread for it.  If you want to Debbie AND say why for all to discuss, then keep it here.  Thats what we are here for.  Usually for every argument, there is often a counter argument.  Thats what makes the forum click and what the thread is for.

Take last night, I thought based on pattern/models, and knowing the tendencies therein,  the mesos would be correcting colder (and they did, but not enough), and for that I went on a limb and thought more frozen would verify (part 2).  It did in some areas.  Others, notsomuch.  I come here to discuss, and can be wrong just like the next guy, but at least I offer my reasons for my stance....right or wrong.  Anyone coming in here w/ definitive tones, should know better with this sport. 

Rant over, but winter is not....technically its yet to start.  Into next week looks to warm w/ ridging building in the east, and trough dumping into SW.  Beyond Christmas (if one believes LR guidance signs of that breaking down start to emerge).  For those that think LR guidance is bunk, please feel free to share whatever else you have to offer.  

MJO is low amplitude

NAO/AO still somewhat negative, albeit less than current.

PNA headed towards neutral from negative.  

Points I'm making is that no indicie is the sole driving faction for the good or bad to where we are headed.  Furthermore, the base state is notably different than last year, so to say "here we go again" might end up right, but for the wrong reasons. 

I'm not hear to be snarky w/ ANYone, and consider us a pretty cool group, but I come here to discuss, learn, and have some fun along the way.  I hope that most of you know my style and appreciate my stance.

Please start a banter thread.  EVERY other forum/subforum has them.  

Thanks

Non Management Weather Weenie

Yes, 100% agree that we need a banter thread. The baseless comments that add no value to the thread should go to banter.

Also, it couldn’t hurt to have a place where we could have a little fun & go a little off topic every now & then.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Flatheadsickness said:

cycles23_24.png

yep, typically low solar and period beyond can be good for lovers of winter.  I read that we were at the min, but last week FRD or someone, suggested we are still trending lower.  Hoping we can add it to our weather bag of tricks.  Just like SSW :)